• Register Today It's free!

The dreaded 5R55S (I think)

Roadie-01

Reaction score
City, State
Covina California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 xlt 4x4
I hope this is the right place to post this.
I was recently given a 2004 Explorer LTD, 4 wheel drive, automatic trans (the 5R55S or E, I believe)…6 cylinder. The previous owner had the transmission rebuilt about 2 years ago. The previous owner gave the truck to me because it now only has 3rd gear and he is tired of dealing with it.
No 1st, no second, no reverse and no Drive. I can move the gear selector though all the positions but no go. It’s like being in neutral except for 3rd gear. I took it to a local trans shop and they hooked it up to the computer and the truck isn’t throwing any codes. They told me “because it’s not throwing any codes, that my problem is mechanical and not electrical”.
Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be the infamous Servos?
Since I do still have 3rd gear, does that tell me that the trans pump is working?

I hope this is the right place to post this.
I was recently given a 2004 Explorer LTD, 4 wheel drive, automatic trans (the 5R55W or E, I believe)…6 cylinder. The previous owner had the transmission rebuilt about 2 years ago. The previous owner gave the truck to me because it now only has 3rd gear and he is tired of dealing with it.
No 1st, no second, no reverse and no Drive. I can move the gear selector though all the positions but no go. It’s like being in neutral except for 3rd gear. I took it to a local trans shop and they hooked it up to the computer and the truck isn’t throwing any codes. They told me “because it’s not throwing any codes, that my problem is mechanical and not electrical”.
Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be the infamous Servos?
@Roadie-01

If it is the original transmission, it is the 5R55S. No others used in 2004. If no codes are shown, then, yes, some sort of mechanical/hydraulic failure has occurred. imp

Back