• Register Today It's free!

the dreaded 'Failsafe mode'

azthermal1

Reaction score
City, State
hampden, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer EB
Hi all! First, thanks in advance. I am on my 3rd explorer and you have helped with each one! I now have an '04 EB, V6. Twice this week, it has gone into failsafe mode. About 3 miles before this second time, it completely turned off while I was driving! I was going about 30 mph when suddenly I lost pwer stearing and brakes. Engine had cut out and I limped to the side of the road. I waiting a minute and turned the key....started up no problem! A few miles later into failsafe mode. I am now home, waiting for things to cool off so I can check levels. I thought I would shoot a quick post off while waiting.....

Looking forward to hearing anything!!!!

Amanda

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the vehicle does this weird behavior, are the in-cabin electronics still on? Like is the speedometer still reading some miles per hour and the clock/radio still on?

Dude - you may be screwed. Go read some of my posts. That is *exactly* how my woes started.

Failsafe is FMEM mode (failure mode effects management).

Failure Mode Effects Management
Failure mode effects management (FMEM) is an alternate system strategy in the PCM designed to maintain engine operation if one or more sensor inputs fail.
When a sensor input is determined to be out-of-limits by the PCM, an alternative strategy is initiated. The PCM substitutes a fixed value for the incorrect input and continues to monitor the suspect sensor input. If the suspect sensor begins to operate within limits, the PCM returns to the normal engine operational strategy.
All FMEM sensors display a sequence error message on the diagnostic tool. The message may or may not be followed by Key On Engine Off (KOEO) or Continuous Memory DTCs when attempting Key On Engine Running (KOER) self-test mode.

Go get the codes read, but before you buy a part, if you are getting a lot of codes, find someone with a real scan tool, or drop the coin and let the dealership read it. I spent almost 100.00 before I was told my PCM had failed. If it IS your PCM, and your vehicle is under 80k miles, the EPA says Ford has to eat it. Really. Otherwise, a new PCM from Ford is 1100.00.

A used one is much cheaper, but you may be buying one with the same fault in it. AND, the stealership has to program your vehicles' specific data into it (how much that is, I don't know yet.)

Gotta love it....... but yours may be more simple. If it isn't, feel free to holler, I'll tell ya anything I've learned.

-Shawn

ugh...

Well, at least my vehicle has only 49K on it! I have a friend with a nice scan tool, so I will have him read it first. Can you send me the link to your posts?

Yes, when it 'shut down', electronics were still on.

Amanda

info....

Well, my truck is at the dealer. It gave NO CODES!!! They are thinking it is the throttle body, but wanted to road test it. Mind you, I am supposed to be on the road right now, towing my camper to an event!!! AUGH!!!

Amanda

update...

Road test gave no indicators. They did update the PCM and are hoping that does the trick. Wish me luck....

A

I've seen a few of the throttle pedal sensors go bad causing exactly what you described. Not so much on Explorers, but the Crown Victorias do it quite a bit, and lots of times it will just render the vehicle useless. My buddy works for a large towing company, and he tows a Crown Vic from the police departments in to the local Ford dealership probably about once a month or so for this problem.
You want to see a cop with an attitude? Having your throttle crap out as you pull out to chase a speeder, etc. can pretty much ruin an officer's day. They absolutely loathe the drive-by-wire throttles.

Having your throttle crap out as you pull out to chase a speeder, etc. can pretty much ruin an officer's day. They absolutely loathe the drive-by-wire throttles.

I can personally attest to this.

If his pedal sensor was intermittent, wouldn't it show up on the live data, or does that problem seem to be thermal or use related?

Far as your throttle body needing to be replaced - that doesn't make sense to me unless they are doing it for free. The Explorer Gen II (not body style but throttle body) throttle body is one of the most simple, straightforward things I have ever seen.

Far as my posts, just click search, put my name in the box "by poster" or something like that, and hit some of the top ones.

-Shawn

The failures with the squad cars doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it...I've ridden along with my buddy many times when he's had to tow them off the highway. Some have had over 100,000 miles, and others have had less than 20,000. I can't really see how it could be driver abuse either...They either work or they don't. Interestingly though, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the civilian Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.

Fail Safe Mode

After reading this post and fearing the worst I think all my FSM was for a low battery. My wife had our 12 yr old daughter (with no prior experience) start our 2004 explorer to warm it up as we were blanketed with snow over night. unbeknown to me she didn't start the engine, she turned it on to access. so that the fan came on. AARRRGGGH! battery ran dead. Needless to say we were on our way to the Rams and 49ers game in st louis and we were in the middle of a snow storm! What a morning. We ended up taking My 93 explorer sport to the game. Came home charged the battery over night, reconnected it in the morning and got the Fail Safe Mode, no throttle response at all. Scared the bejeavers out of me! I shut it off and after reading this thread I restarted it about 10 minutes later and Wellah! no FSM code!! I AM biting my finger nails and hoping I dont see it come back anytime soon! Thanks for your posts!:exp:

engine fail safe mode is killing me

I have a 2005 4.o 4x4 explorer that has be down almost two months. I have replaced the pcm and now the throttle body. It just did it again. Anyone have anything new on it ? I need all the help I can get at this point . The dealership is even puzzled.

Dude - you may be screwed. Go read some of my posts. That is *exactly* how my woes started.

Failsafe is FMEM mode (failure mode effects management).

Go get the codes read, but before you buy a part, if you are getting a lot of codes, find someone with a real scan tool, or drop the coin and let the dealership read it. I spent almost 100.00 before I was told my PCM had failed. If it IS your PCM, and your vehicle is under 80k miles, the EPA says Ford has to eat it. Really. Otherwise, a new PCM from Ford is 1100.00.

A used one is much cheaper, but you may be buying one with the same fault in it. AND, the stealership has to program your vehicles' specific data into it (how much that is, I don't know yet.)

Gotta love it....... but yours may be more simple. If it isn't, feel free to holler, I'll tell ya anything I've learned.

-Shawn

Do you have anything that I can quote to the dealership other than "You have to replace it" in regards to the PCM? I'm currently trying to figure out if it's a TPS or the entire PCM.

I have a 2005 4.o 4x4 explorer that has be down almost two months. I have replaced the pcm and now the throttle body. It just did it again. Anyone have anything new on it ? I need all the help I can get at this point . The dealership is even puzzled.

I have read other threads where TPS replacements have helped? Not sure though.

MAN, that was a long time ago.

if you'll go back through my posts there aught to be a link. IIRC, the reason the Feds can get involved, is that the brain is considered to be an emissions control. And, there was a loophole that said if something emissions crapped out, the mfg has to deal with it. If you can't find it in my ramblings, holler at me and I'll take a day and go through my outlook archives.

Update....

Took the Exploder to the dealership, they said it was the Throttle Body, not the PCM. I ordered one from Lithia's online parts store and replaced it last week. No Failsafe Mode since, but there's still an advance trac issue popping up. Thank you guys for your help. I have an old Throttle Body and TPS sensor sitting on the shelf if anyone wants one....

Update....

Took the Exploder to the dealership, they said it was the Throttle Body, not the PCM. I ordered one from Lithia's online parts store and replaced it last week. No Failsafe Mode since, but there's still an advance trac issue popping up. Thank you guys for your help. I have an old Throttle Body and TPS sensor sitting on the shelf if anyone wants one....

Neat. Double post with no way to delete it.... Mods can you help?

just got mine fixed today. The wiring harness had a couple bare spots in the wires from rubbing I guess or creature chewing on it. As of right now it is not in fail safe and is running so to everyone else with this problem have all the wires checked. I also have two throttle bodies and a pcm from trying to sort this out . Spares I guess ? I put them on ebay or something....

Just got my 2005 Explorer fixed. I had alarms start with Gas Cap, then Avdtrack, then ABS and finally the dreaded fail safe mode. After a new PCM, Thottle body and pedal. Two weeks and $1,900 later, the tech found a Juction box mounted to the frame just below the passenger side door was full of water. He loaded it with dielectic grease and I am cruising.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone

I just had this happen to my wifes 2004 EB 4.6 explorer. she was in cruise control at 38mph just having gone over small rise in the road and the engine turned off, no stearing or brakes. all electical on the cluster was still working. she was able to pull over and then placed it in park and it started right up. So, I figure ill start with the OBD trouble codes and then take it to the dealer if I cant figure it out. We are planning on taking a cross country three week trip in august and this is not making me feel to secure. thanks all

Back