The dreaded transmission topic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The dreaded transmission topic

jtbuick927

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt v6
I have searched quite a few threads today and have spent the last 3 hours reading everything I can about the "solenoid b" code.

I decided to become a member here because the support seems fantastic!!!
Just picked up an '02 explorer xltv6 awd.

OD light blinking, SES light on, codes pulled were pressure control solenoid b and output shaft sensor.

My question is this, everyone complains of poor shifting. My issue is that....for the first 5 minutes, then the truck simply will not go! its like tranny is slipping and I hear an air noise constantly. Shut truck off and wait about 5 minutes back to square one, meaning it will shift barely, but will go.

Is this the solenoid? the not going part?? and why do i have the code for the OSS?

any light to be shed here would be so great!!
thanks everyone in advance
from a newbi ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OSS code will set from transmisiion slippage. Most times solenoid b (p0775) is band or sero piston concern.

For my slippage case, do you think I am barking up the wrong tree, I have already purchased a solenoid block from the dealer but don't want to install if that is not my issue. Seems that only cures the trannys without slippage. Should I attempt to adjust the bands first?

I do remember the truck giving a slipping like shift into second gear from first. But my issue now is I can't drive the truck because "it won't go". Will only move for a minute or two, then no reverse no forward etc. Also what would this new "air noise" be..thanks for the help.. just trying to eliminate some possibilities in hopes of saving some money on this thing

Thanks

For my slippage case, do you think I am barking up the wrong tree, I have already purchased a solenoid block from the dealer but don't want to install if that is not my issue. Seems that only cures the trannys without slippage. Should I attempt to adjust the bands first?

I do remember the truck giving a slipping like shift into second gear from first. But my issue now is I can't drive the truck because "it won't go". Will only move for a minute or two, then no reverse no forward etc. Also what would this new "air noise" be..thanks for the help.. just trying to eliminate some possibilities in hopes of saving some money on this thing

Thanks

There was a revised solenoid block make sure you have that one...
Welcome to forum poke in here
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Low pressure will cause it to slip and driving it with it slipping will burn up the clutches and or bands.

Help Please!!!

Hello. I have almost the same issue on my 2002. This summer I lost a tranny cooler line made it to the parts store replaced the bad part of the line filled the tranny with Mercon V, Napa brand.. all was fine till yesterday.. OD light flashes, slips in D and very slow going in R to the point it almost don't. If I let it sit for a min. and she will kind a slid into R.. I didn't hook up a code reader but to me mine feels fluid starved.. I wonder if I crushed the cooler line when I tightened the hose clamps I installed, two clamps on each end of the line( I didn't want the hose to slip off. replacing the hose going to the cooler I did both when I was under there.. The tranny never gave me a issue of any kind before this and was 100% after I replace the cooler hoses back a in the fall.. I have about 126000 on the truck.. Fluid is clean and full. in fact I added a tad more just to see if there was a diffidence.. OK Band adj. I can get to the front most band but for the heck of me I could not get to the band that rear most it's rusted .. I have it lubed up now so that should help.. Could some one tell be what the front most band does and what the rear most band does? Could I just adj, the front most band and luck out? Please help!! My wife already put down money on a 2007 Toyota 4X4. D day is end of tomorrow to fix this Ranger.. We just sunk 500 bucks on new rotors brakes brake lines and ABS sensor...PLEASE HELP!! George

Hello. I have almost the same issue on my 2002. This summer I lost a tranny cooler line made it to the parts store replaced the bad part of the line filled the tranny with Mercon V, Napa brand.. all was fine till yesterday.. OD light flashes, slips in D and very slow going in R to the point it almost don't. If I let it sit for a min. and she will kind a slid into R.. I didn't hook up a code reader but to me mine feels fluid starved.. I wonder if I crushed the cooler line when I tightened the hose clamps I installed, two clamps on each end of the line( I didn't want the hose to slip off. replacing the hose going to the cooler I did both when I was under there.. The tranny never gave me a issue of any kind before this and was 100% after I replace the cooler hoses back a in the fall.. I have about 126000 on the truck.. Fluid is clean and full. in fact I added a tad more just to see if there was a diffidence.. OK Band adj. I can get to the front most band but for the heck of me I could not get to the band that rear most it's rusted .. I have it lubed up now so that should help.. Could some one tell be what the front most band does and what the rear most band does? Could I just adj, the front most band and luck out? Please help!! My wife already put down money on a 2007 Toyota 4X4. D day is end of tomorrow to fix this Ranger.. We just sunk 500 bucks on new rotors brakes brake lines and ABS sensor...PLEASE HELP!! George

It sounds to me like yu have the solenoid issue George. that is the drive-reverse issue.
Tightening the bands will do no good if you have no pressure to activate the servos to start with.

D

D, Thank you for your reply! I worked on it all this morning on my back on ice for 4 1/2 hours.. I went through all the hose fittings I thought my be restricting the fluid in the cooler lines I had replaced.. I warmed her up drove her went through all the gears and then checked the fluid level it was well in the crossed pattern on the dip stick to the top of it.. I had some R at that time. I pulled out some of the fluid drove her again and again went through all gears and R and got the level down to the full mark.. I then decided to try and dry the R band clutch with my foot on the brake while still in R but real easy on the gas. Well I have no R at this time..Before that I had engagement of R it just took a little gas to fully engage it..If the solenoid was at fault I don't think I would have felt that R pull and was able to back her up just fine after at that time, Or would that not be the case? Hope when it cool down I have R.. I'll check again when it cools off in a few hours.. Drops right into drive and pulls just fine.. can't help but wander if the Napa Mec V fluid was at fault.. In any case that is were I am now.. any more input would be great.. I guessing there was at least 1 1/2 qts over full in the tranny for a few months.. Could this have caused the issue? George

Who knows whether having it overfull hurt or not. It certainly didn't help. The solenoid issue is just what you are describing. It works fine when cold (may clunk a little) but doesn't work at all or slips bad when warm. It's not as bad with synthetic fluid because the vi is higher with synthetic than most mineral oil based fluids. The hotter they get, the thinner they get, and the more likely they are to bypass.
I think if you will read the posts on the solenoid issue, you will see all your symptoms.

D

D, Thanks! I will have a read as you suggest. I just got back in and had it cooling down for 2 1/2 hours at a temp of 36degs out.. Still no R at all now maybe the solenoid went out all the way.. I have drive 1,2,3 I believe my fluid pressure is up .. I'm looking in the shop manual and I see the filter screen has two O ring one on each side of the pickup if one O ring went bad would or could it cause a no drive or no reverse depending on what one went.. I'm just trying to think ahead and decide if I want to get into it or not.. it don't burn a drop of oil no leaks and body is rust free on the outside but I do live in a salt state, NH. George

Your call, but the solenoid block is easy to fix. Are there any codes set?
Autozone sells a code reader for cheap, that works well. You can reset the codes also. Actron Auto Scanner.

D

D,
Yes thank you! I have a Actron auto scanner plus model CP9580.. I have #1code of P0720 it also said , MOD $10 not sure if that the parts price or what.. Ony one #1 code shows up... If I had a burnt or broken band would that show up as another code? I have no "R" at all now and am not sure if I did this when adj fluid level I was backing up and going forword then I lost "R" it don't pull at all in "R". drive still pulls fine. what ya think? George

Back