Solved - The driver's side power window is not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved The driver's side power window is not working.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Georgia_Birdman

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 98 Explorer EB edition. I went to open my driver's side power window today and it would not work. It worked just fine two days ago. I press the down button and I hear two faint clicks under the dash. The clicks are about one second apart. Anyone have an idea where the trouble might be? I have seen the GEM mentioned a few times here. Do GEMs go bad frequently? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the plug on the motor to see if it's receiving voltage when you press the switch.
I did. I get 12v when I push one way and -12v when I. Press the other way. I cleaned the connection and it still didn't work. I put the panel back on and checked again. Nothing. A few hours later I went to get my keys that I left in the ignition and just out of curiosity, I pressed the button again. This time the window went down. What causes this erratic action? Something tells me that it will quit again.

Check the wiring in the door jam. Wires are being flexed every time the door is opened, and they eventually develop cracks which cause an intermittent electrical connection.
I get voltage at the connector when I press the buttons. Even when I have voltage, the motor still doesn't work. It has stopped again and I do have voltage at the connector. When it stops working it is day time and warm out. Last night when it worked, it was cooler. Can ambient temperature effect a defective motor?

It might not be the motor. It could be the gear and nylon pucks are worn out and not grabbing the shaft of the motor, causing it to "click".

It might not be the motor. It could be the gear and nylon pucks are worn out and not grabbing the shaft of the motor, causing it to "click".
The clicking is coming from the one touch down relay. I just had the motor replaced last January. It is still under warranty, so I am taking it to the guy who fixed it. I am just asking here in case it may not be the motor.

The clicking is coming from the one touch down relay. I just had the motor replaced last January. It is still under warranty, so I am taking it to the guy who fixed it. I am just asking here in case it may not be the motor.
I have a 98 Explorer EB edition. I went to open my driver's side power window today and it would not work. It worked just fine two days ago. I press the down button and I hear two faint clicks under the dash. The clicks are about one second apart. Anyone have an idea where the trouble might be? I have seen the GEM mentioned a few times here. Do GEMs go bad frequently? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It turned out to be a loose ground. Works good now. Thanks to all who gave me ideas.

Back