• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Solved The E-4WD light is flashing 3 times.

ERIC ROTH

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Aerostar 4wd
Hi...I have a 96 4.0l 4WD aerostar. Anybody know why the 4WD code would flash 3 times. I just bought the vehicle so no idea if 4wd engages. Any other tips appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ERIC ROTH

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Myers, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Aerostar 4wd
So after much searching I figured out the speed sensors are on top of the differentials. My code said front speed sensor had a problem. I crawled under the car and found both differentials. Sure enough the sensor for the front wheels was unplugged. I plugged it back in and viola. For those who are challenged like me...lol.... the differentials are the two smaller cases attached to the transmission. The front differential has a shaft going to the front axle and the rear differential has a shaft going to the rear axles. There is a wire with plugs going to both of them!

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
So after much searching I figured out the speed sensors are on top of the differentials. My code said front speed sensor had a problem. I crawled under the car and found both differentials. Sure enough the sensor for the front wheels was unplugged. I plugged it back in and viola. For those who are challenged like me...lol.... the differentials are the two smaller cases attached to the transmission. The front differential has a shaft going to the front axle and the rear differential has a shaft going to the rear axles. There is a wire with plugs going to both of them!
Thanks for posting an update.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars