The Elbow Dilema...

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
I am in the process of upgrading a few parts on my `92 X (it has a full `97 drivetrain/firewall/dash swap, so this *IS* posted in the right area)...the least of which is the throttlebody....a 75mm Throttlebody.

The Factory Elbow is fine, for a 65mm Factory throttle body. But upgradfing and going up 10mm is almost pointless if you can't get that additional air though the 90* Elbow.

I needed to enlarge the elbow, and porting it was out of the question. the sharp turn would make it very difficult to measure, and keeping the diameter the same is important.

So I did the next best thing. I chopped it up.

Ryan

Attachments

• 65mmVS75mm.jpg
    65mmVS75mm.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 638
  • StockElbow.jpg
    StockElbow.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 617
  • CutThrottlebody.jpg
    CutThrottlebody.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 662

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Then it came time to cut the other flange and EGR off, all in one piece. To do it SOMEWHAT safely, I elected to bolt it to a large piece of wood.

Attachments

• CuttingEGR1.jpg
    CuttingEGR1.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 614
  • CuttingEGR2.jpg
    CuttingEGR2.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 627
  • CuttingEGR3.jpg
    CuttingEGR3.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 626
  • CutThrottlebody2.jpg
    CutThrottlebody2.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 629

Now that I have the Flanges removed from the Elbow, it was time to clean them up... For some strange reason, the Sawzall doesn't leave a smooth, flat surface to mount the new elbow onto....

I didn't have a drill press, so I bought one. I bought a small one (8" table top unit), so I didn't have the clearance to get drill press mill in there. So I did the NEXT best thing....I got a milling bit, and proceeded to mill the flanges down, by hand. Literally.

Ryan

Attachments

• MilledElbow.jpg
    MilledElbow.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 599
  • MilledEGRPlate.jpg
    MilledEGRPlate.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 587

Here is the Final Project...not yet welded up yet...

I dropped it off at Jantz Engineering today...and when I pulled up, Carl (Carl Jantz, Owner) looked at me and said something to the effect of...."What crazy project you working on now".....LOL

I showed him the 3 pieces....and he said I should have it by Friday....

Which is okay....there was an issue with my XCal3 today.....James has taken care of it...

Ryan

Attachments

• StockElbowMirrored.jpg
    StockElbowMirrored.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 590
  • ThePlan.jpg
    ThePlan.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 613

I picked up the welded elbow from Jantz Engineering today...

Turned out pretty awesome. I am going to clean up the welds...and I'm debating on powdercoating it, or polishing it.

What should I do?

Ryan

Attachments

• ElbowWelded.jpg
    ElbowWelded.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 557

Very cool modification. I thought about what I could do for my 75mm TB and the elbow, and decided I wouldn't be using the elbow eventually. I had mine ported some, it's a good match for a 70mm TB, and I opened up the entrance to take the 75mm opening.

That's good planning and cutting, well done. I'd have it powder coated, but it still looks good as you polished/cleaned it up.:thumbsup:

I am going to drop it off at the powder coater today or tomorrow. I am also dropping off the Coil Bracket, Thermostat Housing, Upper Radiator Hose, (modified) Throttle Cable Bracket, and Fuel Pressure Regulator Bracket, all to be powdercoated the Silver that I had the Accessory Brackets done in.

Ryan

Bump for a great thread. Several people now could use this kind of upgraded elbow. Well done Ryan.:salute:

I am in the process of upgrading a few parts on my `92 X (it has a full `97 drivetrain/firewall/dash swap, so this *IS* posted in the right area)...the least of which is the throttlebody....a 75mm Throttlebody.

The Factory Elbow is fine, for a 65mm Factory throttle body. But upgradfing and going up 10mm is almost pointless if you can't get that additional air though the 90* Elbow.

I needed to enlarge the elbow, and porting it was out of the question. the sharp turn would make it very difficult to measure, and keeping the diameter the same is important.

So I did the next best thing. I chopped it up.

Ryan
I know this is an old thread but I am looking at doing the same thing. The problem is I can’t find any suitable aluminum elbows to work with. Where did you get the larger elbow to weld in

Wow this hasn't changed in seven years.

I'd call local metal suppliers first to see what they might have, and then go out online for materials sellers to find the AL. I still might do one, and it would be AL and an old one cut up for the flanges and EGR mounting. You need the raw material elbow piece at about 75mm inside, or larger. The stock intake is about that 75mm maximum, and some few other intakes can go to 90mm.

Wow this hasn't changed in seven years.

I'd call local metal suppliers first to see what they might have, and then go out online for materials sellers to find the AL. I still might do one, and it would be AL and an old one cut up for the flanges and EGR mounting. You need the raw material elbow piece at about 75mm inside, or larger. The stock intake is about that 75mm maximum, and some few other intakes can go to 90mm.
I have an extra elbow. Just having trouble finding the right size elbow

Back