• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

The evolution of math

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?
Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100.. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?
4. Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.
5. Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands.. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Teaching Math In 2007:

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SuRrEaLNJ

hail to the king, baby!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
out of my mind...
Year, Model & Trim Level
MUNK 07 Focus 97 XL1200C
Ill admidt when i was 16 i worked register in a hardware store, and could never handle it when prople sprung that unexpected change on me.

never cried cuz of it tho....

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
Awesome!

This happens all the time and is very frustrating. Like when the bill is $11.25, you give the person $21.25 and they are confused... :rolleyes:

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
I love everything about this:
collegehumor25fa35d5f48xb8.jpg

Quite an expensive bill though! ~$536 ;) (that is e^2pi right?)

edit: looks like e^i*pi actually, then its $0.002

shamaal

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Friensdwood, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
You edited just as I typed it in
Isn't e^i*pi = 1?
And the third term is infitismaly equal to one.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the .002 though. Mil coinage went out a long time ago.

Edit:Sh*t, it's been to long. i is a 90 degree shift, pi is 180. It would 270 or -1. So total value would be .002 + (-1) + 1 = .002.

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
My first job was a cashier at a grocery store. We would sell stamps out of the register. They were treated as cash, so I couldn't ring them up I'd have to add the price of the stamps in my head to give them the total. I could add the price in my head no problem. A couple of times when I told them the total, they'd tell me I was wrong. So they'd add it up on a piece of paper or spend a few moments figuring it out... Guess what? they came up with the same number I did. :\

MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
I was a Lowes last night, total was 5.37. I gave the guy 10.37. He looked very confused, typed in what I gave him, then hesitantly gave me a 5 back. I bet he was scratching his head after that one...

I learned to make change in high school working at a hardware store. We had computers to tell you what to give back, but it was faster to figure it out yourself.

The evolution of math thing is funny but sad all at once.