The EX gave up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The EX gave up

Well, my Ex is dead. about 3 weeks ago on my way home from school and all of a sudden, the motor just quit. I pulled over and checked all my gauges and every thing was where it should be. So I turned the key and it turned over a little slow but still started up fine. So I kept going and as I turned onto the road I live on it quit again. Put it in neutral while coasting (no one was on the road) and started it again, still confused WTH was going on with it. It cranked over SUPER slow but finally started. I drove her down my road super slow and right before I pulled into my subdivision, I hear BOOM clunk clunk clunk and a massive cloud of smoke shoots out of everywhere. I coast it into the subdivision and make it to my driveway. I try to see if she will restart and get nothing. then I remember that over the last week or so, the timing chains had been rattling more and more and that they probably busted. pull out the oil dipstick and it somehow has a spot where it looks like it got hit by a chunk of metal. So lets just say when I pulled the pan off, I found more chunks of metal than I ever thought possible.
So she's dead, after all the two-tracking and other adventures and flying up trails, she died on the nice slow ride home from school. And with only 135,000 miles on her. but a piece of her will live on, because I just bought a wrecked 04, and i'm putting parts from her onto it.:D

Sorry to hear about your Explorer. Hopefully a lesson learned about timing chains. Good luck with your 04.

Well, as a quick update, I got the 04 moving under its own power last night. I have a LOT of things to fix/tweak to make it drive right, but at least it moves now :salute:

sorry to hear about ur explorer

Back