the ex is totalled! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

the ex is totalled!

last weekend i was launching my boat and i told my friend to pull the truck up. he got in, pushed in the clutch, and my explorer and boat rolled back into the indian river. it was completely submerged, over the roof and all. i just got done putting a new engine in it 2 months ago and it had all new brakes, a new clutch, a cd playerk, a subwoofer, my cell phone and a 75 dollar math book in it. plus i have a bunch of suspension things in my garage that i didnt even get a chance to put in it. i am pissed!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is insurance gunna cover it? either his or urs?

Boat docks and manual transmissions are not a good mix.

Damn, that sucks to hear. I hope everything works out for you

sorry for ya another reson i love auto's

first of all i am sorry,

99explorer5.0 said:

not true,
E-brake, clutch and put it in 1st try to drive up, when you feel the truck pull, release the e-brake. easy

or you get a fello that knows how to drive to take your truck out of the boat launch. Really he didnt know that the truck was rolling back??? or did the truck slid once he went rearward?

Is that really considered "totalled". I mean ya you're going to have to completely tear apart the block to get the water out and change all of your fluids, but i wouldn't just give up on 'er....It'll just take time and a little bit of money. I mean correct me if i'm wrong.

by what he needs to buy i guess you could consider it "Totalled" I wouldnt want to be him. By the by what happened with you so called "driver"? Did He/She panic?

my Bad i read the things that he just replaced. Sux to be you but as Explorer4x493 said, dont just give up on it. Do a serch and listen to the storys of all the other guys and gals on this site who have done the same thing (i havent heard of any complete submersils) you could get some tips on how to -dehydrolock your engine-what fluids need changing-how to get the water out of everything!!!

Now that i see all the things you had new on it i do feel even more sorry for you

make your friend buy it

punkbek3886 said:
he got in, pushed in the clutch, and my explorer and boat rolled back into the indian river.
didn't he know what the other pedal was for, ie. brake.
or think to release the clutch to stop it from rolling

Did he just jump in, push in the clutch and hold it in until it completely submerged and then swim out?
NOt if you know how to drive it
or you get a fello that knows how to drive to take your truck out of the boat launch.
agree

blue_97_v8 said:
sorry for ya another reson i love auto's

You did NOT just say that!

Anyway, sucks to hear your Explorer is totalled. If it was my baby, I would save it, but I'm economically insane like that.

Of course if you know how to drive it there is no problem. But for this explorer to end up completly submerged i would have to assume that an inexperienced driver was involved and this is not the first nor will it be the last time this has happend. I have seen plenty of pictures on the net of trucks submerged at a boat dock i w0uld also assume 99 if not 100% of them were manual trannies.

So when does your friend get out of the hospital ?
K, maybe you were nice and didnt freak out on him ( I would have )...
Do you have another vehicle for transportation? If that were me.... yea, I would make my friend buy me a new Explorer.. Thats bad news man, good luck.

Shane

wow that sucks, i jsut seen you were in florida, thats Kool, so do you plan on fixing this Explorer Back up?? i smell a trail rig ;)

Hope al lgets fixed

PEACE

well i pretty much know the truck inside and out so im sure i could get it running again. the problem is, tho, is that it went in saltwater so im going to have crazy electrical problems. plus the body is going to rust out, blah blah. the ignition is already frozen up, and there are so many places in the dash that i cant hose out with freshwater, so i can say goodbye to my a/c, radio, gauges, everything like that. the interior is going to smell forever, too. i think i would be best to just get the insurance money and start over. im gonna sell the lift and stuff, i already took it off. my friend could have stopped it by turning the engine on, that would have made the brakes kick in. looking at the ramp tho, there are four skid marks going down it so i think the brakes were already locked up. the problem with the ramp i was on was that it goes about 6 feet out into the water and then drops off 2 feet onto a silty bottom. i think the trailer fell off this ledge and pulled the truck with it.

that sucks man. I have pulled many a truck up a launch that had a manual tranny in it, and that never happened. I think I would try my best to salvage it, especially with all the money u have just dumped into it.

That really sucks. Hopefully everything will work out for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to be the bearer of bad news... but you're not going to salvage a submereged (salt water = insult to injury) 1st Gen Explorer

basically, the ONLY thing it would be good for is the body, you would have to pull EVERYTHING out and get the truck to a bare metal shell and the replace everything from a donor truck... WAAAAAY more work/money than the truck's worth

sorry, i say cut your losses :(

Back