• Register Today It's free!

The Ex saved my life!

bluelinebrotha

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, ME
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Police Interceptor
I'll keep this brief, but it's a testament to how well AWD and traction control systems work these days.

I was on a major highway going 80 in the left lane and passing a couple of cars. At the last minute, a minivan begins to merge into my car.

I paniced as the only way I could avoid a collision was to go "offroading." Two of my wheels quickly went off the pavement and onto the grass/slope and then the other two followed. I was so worried that my car would spin out in the soft grass and mud, but....I survived! the car stayed straight, all the idiot lights blinking and a plume of dust, but I managed to slow my speed and get back on the highway.

The guy that ran into me pulled over, as did I, to make sure he was ok and not having some sort of heart attack. It was a kid and his dad. The kid had just gotten his license and was a new driver.

I was that kid once, and it's easy to make mistakes, so the anger subsided. They were good people that made a mistake. Thankfully this car got me through it! Best investment in a vehicle I've made in a long time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish this forum allowed liking posts :D

Great reaction and staying calm.
Majority would have over corrected and likely rolled over.

When in doubt, I just don't brake (unless i'm about to hit something.)

I had taken a race car driving experience course a few months ago and I used some of what I learned in that class. Braking basically makes you lose all control and leads to spin outs, etc. But regardless, the cars active AWD system handled the situation exactly as it should have! Love it.

I hate to tell you, but traction control and AWD had nothing to do with it.
I'm glad you are OK and no one was hurt. An incident at those speeds often end up tragic.

Back