The Famous 2-3 flare | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Famous 2-3 flare

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport 4x4 2dr
Iv recently done a complete rebuilt my 5r55e tranny after losing reverse,4th & 5th. Iv rebuilt it correctly replaced hard parts and all. but I’m still getting this slight 2-3 flare,all my other gears shift smooth,I have to back off the gas so it doesn’t flare so aggressively . I’m rebuilding the valve body tomorrow when I get my superior shift kit,new epc & tcc solenoids. This has to be my problem I have no clue what else it could be. If anybody has any input on the famous 2-3 flare that’d be nicee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To solve my 2-3 flare, I did exactly what you're doing, with the addition of the Ford bonded separator plate. That was over 100K miles ago, and it has shifted perfectly since then. I don't know which of the 'fixes' did the trick, but I'd also install the updated separator plate to prevent having to do the job again. It's only about another 20 bucks or so.

(I did not replace the TCC, just the EPC solenoid.)

IIRC, the Superior kit has a steel spool, that replaces an aluminum one. I've always thought the aluminum spool was the cause of the flare, but who knows?
Good luck.

To solve my 2-3 flare, I did exactly what you're doing, with the addition of the Ford bonded separator plate. That was over 100K miles ago, and it has shifted perfectly since then. I don't know which of the 'fixes' did the trick, but I'd also install the updated separator plate to prevent having to do the job again. It's only about another 20 bucks or so.

IIRC, the Superior kit has a steel spool, that replaces an aluminum one. I've always thought the aluminum spool was the cause of the flare, but who knows?
Good luck.[/QUOTE

Good luck.
So I’m rebuiling it but one of the valves is stuck and I can’t get it out it’s been a nightmare. It’s the valve that I have to replace too. I have another valve body tho so hopefully those come out. I’m ready to throw it thru the garage door lol. And one more question did you install the pressure riser on yours?

Sounds like you found your problem.

My old Bronco has a C-6 with 250,000 at least on it and the valve body bores wore enough to make every edge sharp and the valves would stick.

I didn't install the pressure riser on mine, and also didn't install the servo springs. I just installed everything that was accessable in the valve body. If the spool valve that's stuck is the one that's replaced with the Superior steel one, then that may be the problem. My thoughts are that aluminum sliding on aluminum will gall, and that's the reason for the steel spool.

Maybe you can use air pressure to get the valve out? Or lube it with WD-40? What about epoxying a wooden dowel to the spool end and pulling it out?

Sounds like you found your problem.

My old Bronco has a C-6 with 250,000 at least on it and the valve body bores wore enough to make every edge sharp and the valves would stick.

I've used LubeGard in the red bottle for years, in hopes that it reduces wear. After a quarter of a million miles though, I guess the trans is due for some wear...

I didn't install the pressure riser on mine, and also didn't install the servo springs. I just installed everything that was accessable in the valve body. If the spool valve that's stuck is the one that's replaced with the Superior steel one, then that may be the problem. My thoughts are that aluminum sliding on aluminum will gall, and that's the reason for the steel spool.

Maybe you can use air pressure to get the valve out? Or lube it with WD-40? What about epoxying a wooden dowel to the spool end and pulling it out?
I had two valve body’s so I just used my other one. Just finished putting everything back together, going to swap it out with the other Vb that’s in my car now. Wish me luck

Got it all back together, shifts great no more flare. Problem solved

Great! Glad you got it fixed.

I still remember the test drive after fixing mine. It's a good feeling.

Back