The Ford order/build/deliver timeline. | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Ford order/build/deliver timeline.

Yes... the COTUS site

I don't wish to be a negative influence on your new purchase but I just checked with my contacts who work INSIDE the Chicago Assembly Plant.

2017 MP2 Prototype builds are currently scheduled to be built the week of June 6th.

The 2017 OK to Build (OKTB) is not even set till June 20th and can be moved back if there are issues in production of the MP2 builds.

So I was told today if anyone has a 2017 model year build date they are being mislead by their dealership or sales person.

2017 Ford Explorer Job1 is likely not going to happen until last week of June or first week of July 2016.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plot twist: I'm getting a prototype and nobody told me! Haha.

Oh well, we'll just have to see what happens then. Surprised that's the case given that a ton of different sites report 6/6, too.

I don't wish to be a negative influence on your new purchase but I just checked with my contacts who work INSIDE the Chicago Assembly Plant.

2017 MP2 Prototype builds are currently scheduled to be built the week of June 6th.

The 2017 OK to Build (OKTB) is not even set till June 20th and can be moved back if there are issues in production of the MP2 builds.

So I was told today if anyone has a 2017 model year build date they are being mislead by their dealership or sales person.

2017 Ford Explorer Job1 is likely not going to happen until last week of June or first week of July 2016.

Is it possible that a 2016 could be built the week of June 13?

Is it possible that a 2016 could be built the week of June 13?

Yes they build 2016 models right up till the conversion to 2017 unless there is a shut down for production line equipment retooling.

Yes they build 2016 models right up till the conversion to 2017 unless there is a shut down for production line equipment retooling.

I guess I was wondering if the prototypes and the 2016's would be built at the same time

I guess I was wondering if the prototypes and the 2016's would be built at the same time

Yes, some 2017's prototypes (TT & PP Builds I believe) are built while 2016 Production is built.

I have seen 2017 XLT Appearance Package prototypes built in Smoked Graphite already. Thats where I got the 2017 XLT wheel and seat pics for the other threads.

Got a build date on my 2017... 6/6/16!

So, do we name my new Explorer "the Devil?"

I know SGT1411 spelled it out for you but just wanted to add to his info.

In a perfect world, customer orders would not be built until 6/11. The plant has to have 5 days of perfect builds (not find any production issues). If they find an issue on day 3, the 5 day rule starts over again. So with production supposed to be set to 6/6 (I know SGT1411 said otherwise but just giving an example), all vehicles will be for dealer stock.

If they build 5 days straight with no issues, then day 6 begins customer orders.

Some dealers on brand new model year vehicles will order a customer order as a stock order thinking they will get it faster but IMO that is the wrong thing to do.

First you don't know if it had issues that had to be fixed out in the lot or run back through the factory. Second they tend to get stuck at the back of the lot for shipping. Think when they drive off, they park in the back and each vehicle gets put in front of it. Having a Day 1 build sit behind Day 2-5 will take more time to get to the dealer.

I know SGT1411 spelled it out for you but just wanted to add to his info.

In a perfect world, customer orders would not be built until 6/11. The plant has to have 5 days of perfect builds (not find any production issues). If they find an issue on day 3, the 5 day rule starts over again. So with production supposed to be set to 6/6 (I know SGT1411 said otherwise but just giving an example), all vehicles will be for dealer stock.

If they build 5 days straight with no issues, then day 6 begins customer orders.

Some dealers on brand new model year vehicles will order a customer order as a stock order thinking they will get it faster but IMO that is the wrong thing to do.

First you don't know if it had issues that had to be fixed out in the lot or run back through the factory. Second they tend to get stuck at the back of the lot for shipping. Think when they drive off, they park in the back and each vehicle gets put in front of it. Having a Day 1 build sit behind Day 2-5 will take more time to get to the dealer.

Thanks blwnsmoke & SGT1411 for the info. Btw, what is an MP2 Prototype?

FMC customer service confirmed the build date, subject to change of course, of 6/6/16. So at the very least, dealer was telling me the truth, although I had no doubts as to that.

Either the system flat out has a very wrong date in it or I truly am getting something built that early on or very near to it. It will be interesting to see where the actual date lies.

Unless my dealer meant May 17th????? Though he said June 3 different times.

On-line has a tentative delivery date of June 23rd.

Order date of April 12th

Build date (according to COTUS) of 6/1

Delivery still says June 23rd

Had the CS people look into my order again, build date has now been pushed back to 6/12 at last check.

Had the CS people look into my order again, build date has now been pushed back to 6/12 at last check.
How do you get ahold of CS to check on an order? I ordered a 2017 Platinum end of April and have been told still no DORA and waiting for OKTB. I have an order number from the dealer but nothing showing it was "accepted".

How do you get ahold of CS to check on an order? I ordered a 2017 Platinum end of April and have been told still no DORA and waiting for OKTB. I have an order number from the dealer but nothing showing it was "accepted".

I ordered a 2017 Platinum at the beginning of April and my build hasn't been scheduled out, either, even though other 2017 Explorers ordered after me at the same dealer have build dates. My salesman said this is likely because they're building lower-end models first to make sure there are no assembly issues before building Platinums.

I ordered a 2017 Platinum at the beginning of April and my build hasn't been scheduled out, either, even though other 2017 Explorers ordered after me at the same dealer have build dates. My salesman said this is likely because they're building lower-end models first to make sure there are no assembly issues before building Platinums.
Not sure about the salesman's statement. They have been building the Platinum for, I think, 5 or 6 months now. Did the dealer receive the "DORA" - Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement ?

Peter

Not sure about the salesman's statement. They have been building the Platinum for, I think, 5 or 6 months now.

Peter

I think he was implying that as they start building the new (2017) model year, they would build the lower models for a few days before building 2017 Platinum models. I don't know much about the build process so I could definitely be mistaken, but it would explain why orders placed after mine (at the same dealer) have been scheduled already while my order has not.

Not sure on the DORA... tbh that's the first time I've heard of it. This is my first new car order so I'm a bit of a novice. That's why I appreciate this forum so much, I'm learning a ton!

I think he was implying that as they start building the new (2017) model year, they would build the lower models for a few days before building 2017 Platinum models. I don't know much about the build process so I could definitely be mistaken, but it would explain why orders placed after mine (at the same dealer) have been scheduled already while my order has not.

Not sure on the DORA... tbh that's the first time I've heard of it. This is my first new car order so I'm a bit of a novice. That's why I appreciate this forum so much, I'm learning a ton!
Did they receive the DORA for your order? Keep in mind that they only began production this past Monday, the 6th although scheduling began last month. The bulk number of orders are likely not for Platinums so perhaps those are being built first for now.
Just a guess though.:dunno:

Peter

Did they receive the DORA for your order? Keep in mind that they only began production this past Monday, the 6th although scheduling began last month. The bulk number of orders are likely not for Platinums so perhaps those are being built first for now.
Just a guess though.:dunno:

Peter

Thanks, Peter, that would make sense! I didn't know what a DORA was last time I talked to my salesman, but I'll definitely ask when I speak to him next.

Just an update.
I ordered my 17' the day the order banks opened.
No vin, and no build date as of yesterday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been sending direct messages to their people on Twitter, but Peter's link will bring you to the same group of individuals.

For those wondering, I also have a Window Sticker as well. (Yay!)

Back