• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

The front brakes pull to the right after a rebuild.

runner0824

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Good day, all! I have a 1994 Explorer 4.0 4X4 completely stock. I had the front brakes completely replaced in April, 2011: master, discs, pads, lines. Last week, it started getting squirrely going down the road and braking. Also, the brakes got very touchy including the right tire grabbing and sliding. I removed the front tires and saw that the wheel bearings were loose. I retightened them per guidlines. I cleaned the discs and pads. The brakes aren't as touchy but pull to the right on braking.

I took the Explorer back to the shop that did the brakes back in April. They checked and did not find loose front end or brake parts. They did not see any hanging of the calipers. I suggested that the master cylinder was not bled appropriately. Any other thoughts?

This is my 17 year old daughter's Explorer which she loves. I have safety concerns.

Any ideas or help with the right front brake locking/pulling on applying the brakes? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Roadrunner777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bemidji, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4 Sport 88k
You note that you cleaned the pads and rotor. Were they contaminated? Often, even the best attempts to clean contaminated pads still result in pulling. Bleeding the master cylinder does not relate to a left/right pull. The lines from the master cylinder are front and back.

I would check again for contamination, and if no new contamination is found, replace the pads.

rustbucketMI

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
Could be a problem in the individual lines not being properly bled, but I would suspect the pad is still contaminated

cogs

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 sport 2wd
don't know too much about abs, but the sensor is behind the rotor, the round silver thing, and it needs to be wiped clean. again, don't know if this will cause pulling. also, the rotor tines have to be clear of debris when they pass by the sensor.