The Green Monster is no more | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Green Monster is no more

Last week, during Snowpocalypse, I encountered some black ice, and The Green Monster decided it wanted to be friends with a tree.

The hood, front bumper, front fender, most of the front left suspension assembly, steering rack, radiator, and one of my shiny new LED spot lights either got crushed or totally torn off. She would start, but had no hope of moving off under her own power anytime soon.

sQ0ycmQh.jpg

She is, sadly, no more. She served me well, during her all too brief time with me. :salute:

Edit: I walked away with a fat lip, and a few bruises, but otherwise unharmed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yucky poo.

:(

Sorry man.

Oh man, that's too bad! Looks like the whole left front quarter panel got torn back. Good you weren't hurt too bad.

*fender.

Oh man, that's too bad! Looks like the whole left front quarter panel got torn back. Good you weren't hurt too bad.

Thanks. Yeah, the front fender got peeled back. In that pic, the truck is where it ended u[p after bouncing off the tree, which is about three feet to the left of the edge of the picture. The left end of the bumper also got bent back about 90*, and the front suspension and steering rack took a beating.

I whacked my face on the steering wheel, bit a hunk out of the inside of my lower lip, then prang'd my head on the seat again. At some point, i got an abrasion on the top of my head; likely from the sun visor. I'm also pretty sure at some point I punched the radio. I had a USB port imprint on my ring finger for about three days.

And just to rub salt in the wound, I had washed her just a few days prior.
8QdTPOul.jpg

Been there done that. Totaled my first truck ('89 Dakota) in icy/wet/dark back country road when the truck wanted to smack a tree.

Gonna look for another green 96 to start a new build? That or change your username?

Maybe part her out? There are plenty of folks here that might want some parts.

Gonna look for another green 96 to start a new build? That or change your username?

I'll keep the username. I do plan to eventually replace the 'sploder. Kinda toying with a 1st gen Expedition. I wouldn't mind somethings bit bigger this time around.

That looks bad. Hope you have it fixed soon.

Maybe part her out? There are plenty of folks here that might want some parts.

I don't really have a place to store her (my HOA would crucify me if i left her on the driveway looking like that), and to be honest, the interior was pretty gutted to begin with, so... I did sell her to someone local who could use the engine & trans. I'm pretty sure the rest went to the pick & pull. Sorry guys.

I did grab what I could out of her; mostly the dash cam, head unit, and ammo can center console. The dash cam will probably go in my BMW, and the rest I'll hold onto for the next truck I get.

That looks bad. Hope you have it fixed soon.

It would have cost several times what I paid for her to get her roadworthy again in parts alone. As much as I hated to do it, I had to let her go.

Well that sucks. Hope you stick around and hopefully you get a new toy soon.

Thanks. I'm not planning on going anywhere. This is an awesome community, with a wealth of knowledge. I'll be sure to let you all know what I end up with.

:popcorn:

Back