The HID Headlamp Dilemma | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The HID Headlamp Dilemma

I have had my 1998 Ford Explorer since last December when I bought it just off lease. I love this truck, except for one thing: the lighting is woefully inadequate!

Some history:

My previous transportation was an '89 Mitsubishi Galant with quad headlight system and good optical quality. Those lights lit up the road like daylight and where white. I have never had an accident or a 'close call' at night with that car.

When I got the Explorer, I found the headlights were like flashlight brightness on weak batteries. The light has a yellowish cast and is very dim. The pattern was terrible also--a general splotch of fuzzy light with no penetration on hi-beam and one bright area on low beam with no illumination of the curb (the effect causes blinding because of the bright local spot, making the dark curbside seem even darker).

After a month of ownership, I had experienced 3 near mishaps when driving at night due to inability to see where I was going, a phenomenon I had not experienced since way back when I had cars with sealed-beam headlights. In fact, the first night I drove the Explorer home from the dealer, it was raining and I missed a turn because I couldn't see the road in the face of oncoming traffic.

I had to do something, so the first thing I did was buy a pair of HID blue lamps--these were 80/100W bulbs with a blue coating on them. The light output was marginally better, but not by any magnitude one would expect, given the wattage gained. The reality was that the voltage at the lamps had decreased to 10 volts with the heavy current these lamps drew. I eventually scraped off the blue coating, which increased light output, but now the light was more yellow. I soon developed a habit of driving while holding the 'flast to pass' lever to get both filaments to stay on. This provided barely adequate light, but after a month, the socket ground terminals burned out. I replaced the sockets with heavy duty sockets and continued. The next thing that happened was the ground terminal on the bulb itself disintigrated. So, back to factory headlamps again for much of this year.

Some things really bother me about driving with these lights: not a night goes by where I don't suffer severe headaches from eye strain. The yellowish light makes everything feel surreal, like in a dream, and I get an overwhelming desire to close my eyes after about 45 mins of driving in the countryside where there are no city lights. I have to drive much slower than I normally would just to be safe, but that exacerbates the sleepiness I experience when driving with dim lights at night.

What I'm Trying to Do About It:

Sylvania offers a HID Xenarc lighting system for Ford Expedition and F150 trucks. This consists of the lamps, ballast and reflector/lens assembly. Why they don't have this kit for the Explorer, I don't know, but it was the subject of an e-mail I wrote to them this week.

Other HID kits are pretty hopeless. The Explorer uses a 9007 bulb, whose design contains two filaments. The HID bulb uses a single arc and as such, retrofits for the 9007 sacrifice the high beam function. There are "bi-xenon" bulbs out there that use a solenoid to physically move the bulb arc up and down to mimic the hi/lo beam angles, but I'm skeptical of the longevity of such a system and at $700 per kit, it's a lot to spend, sight unseen.

The other option is to install a heavy duty wiring harness with relays and go with either the Sylvania SilverStar series (seems to come in 55/60W version for 9007 type) or the PIAA Platinum Super White in a 100/110W version.

Without replacing the optics with a European-grade optic, I am concerned that simply increasing the luminous output will only result in more glare and not much gain in useable light on the road and curbside ahead. I find that the Explorer's stock lights actually created annoying glare off of reflective road signs--a problem I didn't experience with the Mitsubishi lighting system. This is because the Ford lighting goes out in all directions indiscriminately, whereas the Mitsu's lights have a cutoff above a certain elevation, illuminating only the road brightly.

Another serious problem I encountered with the Ford lighting became evident while driving in a snow storm: the severe scatter inherent in Ford's lights resulted in the bright illumination of falling snowflakes, making it impossible to see the road ahead. I have never experienced such glare in any other vehicle owned prior to the Explorer. This is something that brighter lights cannot fix. It is also a problem with fog for the same reasons.

I don't want to clutter up my vehicle with a cluster of auxiliary lights--they should not be necessary with a proper lighting system, and also, there is no rigid place within the grillwork to mount them solidly.

At the moment, I feel resigned to upgrading the wiring and deciding between the Sylvania and the PIAA bulbs I mentioned above. Has anyone made some objective comparisons between the two in terms of light output?

Theoretically, if both bulbs are receiving 12 volts, then the PIAA should be a lot brighter due to the higher wattage. I think that both bulb types claim output in the 4000°K range, which is pretty close to daylight, or similar to coated mercury-vapor lamps used in street lighting.

Has anyone here had the opportunity to test both bulb types under FAIR conditions (meaning that they both receive full voltage as verified with a VOM)?

I'm really going crazy now that the daylight hours have shortened so much. I drive 1200 miles a week as part of my work, often in unfamiliar areas, and my night vision is not the best. Excellent lighting is a must for me. Hopefully I can find a solution that won't alter the appearance of my vehicle, but works from within the standard components to provide a true white (not blue) light output that lights the road evenly and into the distance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't ahve to upgrade the wiring with either the PIAA or Siverstar bulbs. They are actually the same wattage as the factory bulbs. They just appear to produce more light by produceing a whiter, "cleaner" color. I have tried both as well as the Hiper brand lights, and they do indeed look brighter. They may not be significantly more so enough for your needs though. You may wan tot look into the real HID lights as they almost eliminate the need for high beams.

As for the bi-xenon bulbs, that's just more stuff to go wrong. If you do get the HID, just get the regular 9007 replacement HID bulbs. The people that hav ethem seem to be happy with them. Performance Products has them for $499.

As for why Sylvanis doesn't make a Xenarc setup for the Explorer? Who knows. People have written to and called Sylvania to ask them. Responses vary from "we are planning to make one," to "sorry, not for the Explorer." Why isn't there one? Who knows. Call them yourself. If enough people pester them, they may make one. There are certainly more Explorers than Expeditions (I think).

why would any company make lighting products for one of THE MOST OWNED SUVS IN THE COUNTRY..

seriously this really steams me also.. the F-150 has what? like 4 different kinds of projector lenses.. and we're stuck with these as you put it.. inadequate lighting systems.

I have a set of standard piaa 9007 superwhites in my truck with stock foglights. .I too contacted sylvania about this xenarc system, same reasult..

1 solution I have thought of.. and I dont know if you'd be willing to do this..

the xenarc system offers an aux. lowbeam... onbe could purchase this.. and replace their fog lights with it.. then purchase standard 9007 to HID conversion bulbgs for the standard headlights.... change your wiring as such that low beams=stock headlights high beams=stock headlights and the aux. hids you jst installed. .

theres 1 or 2 guys on here with the 9007 to HID conversions.. I beleive most have said its not worth the money since our lenses are not designed to reflect that quality of light.

hope that helped, I'm in the same boat when it comes to missing turns.. at night.. everyones headlights seem to be considerablly brighter than mine, even tho I have the piaas.. I've always thought it was just my eyes.

My headlights are insufficient as well. I have the Silverstars and they did not make visibility any better. I have seriously considered some of the HID kits on ebay, but didn't buy one in fear that the explorer's headlights would not focus the HID light correctly.

Originally posted by DarkFox1
I beleive most have said its not worth the money since our lenses are not designed to reflect that quality of light.

This is very true, but the amount of light is much greater than factory even with the substandard lenses.

I have True 9007 HID conversion from Phillips. However, I have a tottally different housing than you do. More information can be found here. Just look under True HID and also more pictures at the PIAA 980. I really like my set of HID's. They work for me. I do hate not having the Hi beams though! Other than that I love them!!!

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

I think its fair to say we agree that a HID upgrade with stock Explorer fluted headlamps, while producing more light output, is still not as good as it could be.

What about a HID upgrade using the 98+ Mountaineer's crystal headlamps? Has anybody with a 98+ Mountaineer tried a HID upgrade?

Originally posted by bigtigexplorer
I think its fair to say we agree that a HID upgrade with stock Explorer fluted headlamps, while producing more light output, is still not as good as it could be.

What about a HID upgrade using the 98+ Mountaineer's crystal headlamps? Has anybody with a 98+ Mountaineer tried a HID upgrade?

Absolutely. That's what I was trying to say. THe lenses on our X would not do justice to the HID kit, but would produce more than factory.

The Mountaineer thing is a good idea, but impractical, as the lamps are shaped differently. They almost look like the Explorer grill and lamps were turned upside down. Won't fit without a lot of work. There is a post somewhere her wher a guy took some lamps from a 2001 Landcruiser and grafted them onto his X. That look really nice. Lot of woork though.

I thought about that too bigtig.. but I imagine a lot of people are unwilling to do a conversion from the 97 mounty/X front end.. to the 98 mounty front ends... I would do it if only they had clear corners for the 98+ lol I know thats a stupid reason not to do it.. but hey.. you know I'm weird like that.

yo blackmagic, that blue shot showing the bulb is amazing! did you take that? I'm tempted to use that as my windows background lol

Thanks for all the replies! Egads, there seem to be a LOT of people on this forum--barely an hour since my post and EIGHT responses!

That doesn't sound too encouraging about the Silverstar lamps being not really visibly brighter.

I forgot to mention that I picked up some 9007-HO (high output) Xenon filled lamps made by GE at Wal-Mart the other day and tried them out. I'd say, and this is stretching it, they are 5% brighter and whiter than factory bulbs. I did one side first and compared, then did the other.

I tend to suspect that I will get similar results with the Silverstar lamps as they are only 55/60W.

The PIAA I am looking at (called Platinum Super WHite) are part number 19607 and claiming to be 100/110W. There is also a PIAA 55/60W lamp in this line.

I'm not terribly certain I want to spend $500 on a HID upgrade to end up with only low beam lights. If that is the case, I may be forced to add projector driving lights in the grill and tie them to the high beam switch.

One thing that annoys me about the single bulb systems is that when the high beam is selected, you lose foreground lighting to the point where it is almost impossible to see if a deer is about to cross from the curb side. That's why I'm driving while holding 'flast to pass' lever all the time. If I do an HID setup, I'll probably wire it so that high beam selector turns on the PIAA projector lamps while leaving the HID lamps on to keep the foreground illuminated all the way to the curb (well, sort of, since the Ford lenses don't really do much of a job of distributing the light evenly across the road).

I may still be inclined to invest $100 more and get the most powerfull PIAA bulbs available and the wiring harness and see if that brings me to an acceptable level of light. The goal is to stop the eye strain and headaches on medium/long nighttime drives, a problem which becomes several orders of magnitude worse when it's raining.

The remaining issue with the high wattage bulbs is whether the sockets are going to meltdown again. I've replaced them twice since using the "HID white" bulbs I bought last February and observed that the ground terminal on these bulbs eventually evaporated or burned back into the bulb base, leaving me with no headlights at all one evening in March.

I did a head to head comparison with my Mitsubishi in our driveway one night and, pardon the pun, it was like night & day. The Explorer, even with the HID white bulbs (80/100W) was like a dim flashlight in the darkness, while the Mitsu (that my wife now uses) lit up the driveway and the entire woods around us like daylight and it uses ordinary halogen bulbs! That really drowned any sense that I had made progress on improving my lights on the Explorer. And then the sockets failed a few weeks later... So it's back to near stock (with the Wal-Mart purchased GE 9007HO bulbs that are barely brighter than stock but the same wattage) until I can figure out a better option.

To make matters worse, when the sockets melted, they must have been emitting smoke, because the reflectors, especially the passenger side, are fogged now. I need to find a way to wash that smoke film off the reflectors--a tough challenge, given the amount of space for bulb access!

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!

Originally posted by Black Magic
Yes, I was moving the camera arround untill I got just the perfect glint of blue.

Those are nice photos--especially the closeup. How many ND filters did you use to get the light levels down to safe exposure levels?

use oxyclean and old toothbrushes to clean the inside of the light. as for the brightness problems, just bite the bullet and throw some piaa driving lights in the grille.

also, do get the piaa bulbs (the direct replacement ones, not the higher wattage ones) they are much brighter than the walmart crap ones you tried before, just don't expect them to make too much of a difference.

i understand that you want a stealthy install, so you probably aren't interested, but i'm getting these piaa's (they have a 110 watt driving and a 130 watt spot light as well as turn signals built in) i'm sure they will put out the kind of light you are looking for, especially if you wired them seperate from the other lights so you could run them with your stock headlights on low beam (to keep a nice dispersion)

Originally posted by DocVijay
You shouldn't ahve to upgrade the wiring with either the PIAA or Siverstar bulbs. They are actually the same wattage as the factory bulbs. They just appear to produce more light by produceing a whiter, "cleaner" color. I have tried both as well as the Hiper brand lights, and they do indeed look brighter. They may not be significantly more so enough for your needs though. You may wan tot look into the real HID lights as they almost eliminate the need for high beams.

As for the bi-xenon bulbs, that's just more stuff to go wrong. If you do get the HID, just get the regular 9007 replacement HID bulbs. The people that hav ethem seem to be happy with them. Performance Products has them for $499.

As for why Sylvanis doesn't make a Xenarc setup for the Explorer? Who knows. People have written to and called Sylvania to ask them. Responses vary from "we are planning to make one," to "sorry, not for the Explorer." Why isn't there one? Who knows. Call them yourself. If enough people pester them, they may make one. There are certainly more Explorers than Expeditions (I think).

In practice though, even with standard bulbs, all of the voltage isn't reaching the bulbs due to IR drop in the #18AWG wire feeding the bulbs. One supplier of heavy duty wiring harnesses states a 50% boost in light output with standard lamps, just because of the increased voltage at the lamp terminals. I think this is exaggerated, as I tried jumping from the lamp terminal to the battery with an alligator lead of modest gauge and noted a discernable but slight increase in light output, but perhaps only 5%.

Agreed on the Bi Xenon tubes. I wonder just how much that sudden shock affects bulb envelope longevity.

I did my part and wrote to Sylvania.

The ideal would be a retrofit that includes a new housing, with DUAL HID bulbs for low and high beam, precision optics, reflector and clear lens, that produces a Z-beam pattern on low beam and projects a strong main lobe 1500' down the road on high beam while maintaining good illumination at the curb and beyond, so it is possible to spot that deer that is racing from 50' off to the right into a head-on course with the vehicle.

I am probably never going to see such a product, but if anyone in the manufacturing field is reading this, it might provide some incentive to improve the designs.

Safety should not be an option reserved for expensive luxury cars.

sorry here's the piaa's i alluded to

Attachments

• pia_3051_500.jpg
    pia_3051_500.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 990

Hey Black,
Two questions, One what are your PIAA fog lights mounted too? Two do your HIDs have high and low beams?

Originally posted by expo5.0
use oxyclean and old toothbrushes to clean the inside of the light. as for the brightness problems, just bite the bullet and throw some piaa driving lights in the grille.

also, do get the piaa bulbs (the direct replacement ones, not the higher wattage ones) they are much brighter than the walmart crap ones you tried before, just don't expect them to make too much of a difference.

i understand that you want a stealthy install, so you probably aren't interested, but i'm getting these piaa's (they have a 110 watt driving and a 130 watt spot light as well as turn signals built in) i'm sure they will put out the kind of light you are looking for, especially if you wired them seperate from the other lights so you could run them with your stock headlights on low beam (to keep a nice dispersion)

Without popping the lens off the reflector, I can't imagine how I could get a toothbrush in there to clean the reflector. I think a brush would do more damage than good as reflector coatings are usually very fragile. I was thinking of water, under pressure with heavy agitation, such as using a garden hose, set to the stream pattern for penetration and spraying that directly into the housing assembly through the socket opening, but this may be difficult to do without removing the whole assembly first. I could just buy a new one I suppose on the 'net for $95, but that seems not to be worth it.

My thought was to shoot a stream of water into it, then dry it out using a stream of high pressure air, such as from a leaf blower, aimed into the socket opening. But then again, that could possibly also make the coating worse than it is now.

A dry chamoise cloth might be the best solution, if I could get it inside the lamp housing somehow...

One thing is certain: the passenger lamp has little focus and a much fuzzier beam pattern than the driver's side, as it is the most smoke-fogged.

by the way, about your concerns of the fog lights turning off when you turn the brights on.. thats something that annoys me as well.. there is a fix for this, I dont recall the details, a search should bring this up.. search for something along the lines of "fogs and brights" or something.. I dont remmebr but there is a simple wiring trick you can do so that you dont have to hold that lever back.

Deer are a drivers worst nightmare here.. GA has a lot of em.. and they are too damned stupid to stay out of the road! you'd tihnk after so many MILLIONS of deer a year get killed from auto accidents.. the deer would figure it out not to walk down these stretches of hard black open-ness.. they are hard to see with our headlights.. dont think theres much you can do about beam width either.. not w/o lense modifications.

alternative lights is also a plan.. but I personally am not a huge fan of having like 4 or 5 external lights on the truck on top of the others you already have.. unless you are going fora baja kind of look. Even in putting the lenses inside the grille.. they would still be visible during the day.

oh and btw last I heard this board has about 12k members.. heh, sometimes posts will go mad with replies.. sometimes they wont.. it all depends on the day, the hour.. heh, and even the weather I think. I'm a forum junky from time to time, so I'll reply like 4 or 5 times to the same thread if its active like this.

2K1Xplorer
Hey Black,
Two questions, One what are your PIAA fog lights mounted too? Two do your HIDs have high and low beams?

The PIAA 980's are mounted to a piece of Aluminum Angle that was cut flat on each end. Then bolted with the tow hook bolts to their holes. Then the 980's are bolted to them with Stainless bolts. Oh, the tow hook bolt goes through the Piaa bracket too. They aren't going anywhere!

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

NO, I wish they did, I just have the driving or low beam. However, they are still 1,000 X's brighter!

expo5.0 I love those new PIAA's! If they would have been arround when I got my 980's I would have gotten them.

mweiss Sorry I have no clue what you are taking about. I was just using a Sony 3 mega pixel digital camera. I do have a UV filter but that is it. Thanks for the complement though!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back