The Jerry Can... Red..sometimes...should always be metal... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Jerry Can... Red..sometimes...should always be metal...

Noober1

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Mazda Navajo
:salute: She's red (at least this one), shiny, and pretty sexy if I must say so....but that's a different story. Where's the best place to buy?
11010%205%20Gallon%20Metal%20Gas%20Can.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noober:

I've seen them at Ace Hardware, but they aren't cheap: $48. Lumber yards and power equipment suppliers should have them. too.

I've been thinking of picking one up to store more fuel in case the situation with Iran blows up (no pun intended).

I have a plastic 3 gallon container but the plastic ones are inferior to the metal ones. On the plastic fuel can, the sides bulge and the cap leaks.

Most of the metal Jerry Cans seem to be made by Blitz. Some say that they are inferior to the old G.I. cans, but the U.S. and NATO cans are no longer available due to EPA regulations.

Now, where can one get a holder for mounting the can on a 1st gen Explorer?

Bob

I ordered my metal jerry can and mount from 4wheelparts, had to go to a suplus store to get the metal spout.

I ordered my metal jerry can and mount from 4wheelparts, had to go to a suplus store to get the metal spout.

I found a couple @ a local Northern Tool for $50 ea. I'll probably pick a couple up there.

Those new Blitz and comparable cans with the CARB junk suck. They dont seal and they dont pour very good. I use both an old Jerry can that my Father had with a stainless flex spout I found at an Ace Hardware and I also bought 4 new NATO cans with a stainless spout. The NATO cans are definately the way to go, they seal great and the cap opens with a cam action lever.

You can get them used here: http://store.colemans.com/cart/gerry-can-nato-p-908.html?currency=USD or new here: http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/20-liter-jerry-gas-can-p12444.aspx?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase Dont forget the spout!

As far as carriers go, the NATO cans are a tight fit in those universal red Jerry can brackets. It has also been my experience that the new Blitz red carrier brackets are very flimsy and cracked within 4 trips for me.

NATO can:

Atom18776.jpg

Sportsmansguide.com has the 20L (5Gal) ones for about $30 plus shipping. I have a few of them here..

I have a few NATO cans here too. They do seal very well, Which can make things interesting.

If I fill up the can when it cool out and then try to open it when its hot out, I have to use pry it open. So far, I haven't had gas spew out, but It is a possibility. Keep in mind, we can get 30F+ low to high temp swings in addition to the daily/seasonal swings.

I usually try to rotate the fuel at least every 6 months since we can't get anything except e-10 around here and that stuff doesn't keep well.

~Mark

I didn't pickup the Blitz one yet. And personally, I think the NATO one looks queer. I like the old fashion style. Thanks for the tip... I'll get one with the flexible spout.

I have a few NATO cans here too. They do seal very well, Which can make things interesting.

If I fill up the can when it cool out and then try to open it when its hot out, I have to use pry it open. So far, I haven't had gas spew out, but It is a possibility. Keep in mind, we can get 30F+ low to high temp swings in addition to the daily/seasonal swings.

I usually try to rotate the fuel at least every 6 months since we can't get anything except e-10 around here and that stuff doesn't keep well.

~Mark

Mark,

I think you aught to rotate the gas every 3 months. The high percentage of ethanol being used today really limits the shelf life of gasoline.

Also, the blue marine fuel stabilizer works much better than the red with the ethanol in today's fuel.

Another site for fuel cans - Atlantic British.

I have a 5 liter can from them - I use it to carry Coleman fuel.

Anyone see any non-NATO Jerries?

Funny, I have two of the older metal Blitz cans, but I think I lost the nozzle.. and since I live in California, you can't get the nozzle shipped here.

That's why this is hidden in the tool box of my diesel. 55gal of extra fuel just in case... wired to a selector switch on the dash

2444492730084817080S500x500Q85.jpg

options are always an issue.....

jerry-can-toolbox.jpg

this is the original "jerry" can,, german WWII then russians and chinese picked up (copied) the design, in surplus houses your likely to find most anything, german more rare than russian or chinese but u can see how they evolved, buck

Attachments

• german gas can WWII Wehrmact.jpg
    german gas can WWII Wehrmact.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,611

I believe to be DOT legal on the road, gasoline must be stored/carried in a container that has red on it.

The Scepter MFCs (when you could get them) have a red cap retainer, making them legal.

I have seen others use the diamond shaped "Gasoline" red labels on their green cans - that should make them legal.

I do not know of anyone that has ever had a problem with non-red-labeled cans, but thought I would mention it. (Never know what the future holds.)

YMMV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got my jerry can and holder off Amazon for a little over 60 bucks.Good deal.

Back