• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

The New 2005 Explorer Sport Trac Concept

Raminator157

Mopar Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Essex Jct Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ram 1500
I did a search and did not see that anyone posted this. It really looks alot like the new F150.

Ford invented the sport utility truck in 2001, bringing to market the Explorer Sport Trac, the first sport utility vehicle with the versatility of four full doors, a roomy feature-filled interior and a pickup truck's cargo box. With a wider and longer stance and improved power, this concept offers even more versatility and flexibility than today's Explorer Sport Trac. It also comes equipped with Ford's exclusive Roll Stability Control.

The Explorer Sport Trac concept takes the vehicle to a new level – lower than ever for a mean, street look. Riding on massive 21-inch, 10-spoke aluminum wheels with a gunmetal finish and custom Goodyear tires, the Explorer Sport Trac concept delivers an improved ride thanks to a new independent rear suspension.

The Explorer Sport Trac concept's smooth appearance is achieved by simple lines, excellent proportions and clean body panels. The door handles have been shaved off, adding to the sleek look of this street rod machine. Two side scoops located just in front of the A-pillar and two hood scoops give this concept a performance look. In the rear, sleek wraparound taillamps make a distinctive statement.

The Explorer Sport Trac concept's interior adds to its street rod look and feel. With two rows of seating, the environment is simple, yet modern. It features four bucket captain’s chairs separated by a front and rear center console with an abundance of storage. The truck's primary gauges are contained within a singe oval instrument binnacle. The speedometer is prominently displayed next to the tachometer. Audio and climate controls are presented in the center of the instrument panel, just ahead of the floor-mounted shifter. Polished aluminum accents the air vents, instrument binnacle and shifter.

The Sport Trac concept is equipped with Ford's exclusive Roll Stability Control technology, which adds another dimension of sensing to conventional electronic stability control systems. Roll Stability Control will be included on more than half a million Ford Motor Company SUVs by the end of 2005.

Story by Ford Motor Company, Edited by Supercars.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
I'd definitely have to get one if it actually looks like that one...

TSTONE

Giddy up!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland County, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
I like the shaved handle look - to bad they'll probably change it for production.

MDPuckett84

Flame On!
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLS 4x4
I like the looks of it, especially the back, but i think its safe to say there isnt a 4x4 version. I wonder if they'll actually produce it with shaved door handles.

Raminator157

Mopar Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Essex Jct Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ram 1500

odxtoxic

Reaction score
City, State
Windom, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Merc. Mounty
from the side, it just looks too much like a new dodge...

blksn8k

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac Limited 4x4
MDPuckett84 said:
I like the looks of it, especially the back, but i think its safe to say there isnt a 4x4 version.
While I haven't read any articles that say whether the concept is a 4x4, none of them have said that the production version would not be available with 4x4. I think it would be safe to assume that since the concept is built on a lengthened version of the current Explorer chassis that the production version will have optional 4-wheel drive and possibly IRS. I also think the reason the concept doesn't look like a 4x4 (even though it might be) is because they lowered it to give it "street cred" to quote Ford's chief designer J. Mays. As much as we off-road guys hate to admit it, most of the current "trucks" are designed to appeal more to soccer moms and rap stars. But that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be modified to perform acceptably off-road.

I like the overall look of the concept even though I realize a lot of the show features would not be practical for my use. What I am hoping is that the production version will have a chassis similar to the next generation of the Ranger truck. I doubt Ford would build the next Ranger with IRS so maybe the production version of the Sport Trac won't have it either.

jayhawkexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mission, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Its IRS for sure, from what I've heard and read.

blksn8k

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Sport Trac Limited 4x4
Even with that much lift it looks like you still have tire clearance issues. :confused:

Silver X

Reaction score
City, State
Brownstown Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
Fordexplorer157 said:
I did a search and did not see that anyone posted this. It really looks alot like the new F150.

It almost looks like a four door version of the Lightning Concept!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E 2005 Ford Mustang GTR Auto Industry News 10
NICE59FORDF100 New 2005 Ford Super Duty Auto Industry News 14
B 2005 f150 Auto Industry News 5
9 Aviator to leave in 2005 Auto Industry News 13
D Anyone heard anything about the new 2005 SuperDutys? Auto Industry News 0
D 2005 last year for the T-birds Auto Industry News 2
Rick The History of the First Ford Explorer - by Derek Elliot former Ford engineer Auto Industry News 3
Rick Explorer demand to keep Ford's Chicago plants busier this summer Auto Industry News 0
D 2016 Ford Explorer Auto Industry News 0
BrooklynBay Ford recalls the 2013 Explorer, Taurus, and Lincoln MKS for defective child locks. Auto Industry News 0
Rick Ford Explorer Production Goes International as Iconic SUV Rolls Off the Line in Russi Auto Industry News 0
T 2012 explorer getting the 2.0 ecoboost Auto Industry News 16
Rick Bigger fonts for Explorer and Edge Auto Industry News 4
J The Atkins Explorer Auto Industry News 12
J 2011 Explorer named Truck of the Year Auto Industry News 8
E 2011 Explorer caught Auto Industry News 0
K kenny brown ford explorer Auto Industry News 2
JDraper 1995-2002 Explorer (and other vehicles) Recall Auto Industry News 29
A Explorer #3 best selling SUV in Sept. Auto Industry News 3
D truck trend,,, showing the new explorer Auto Industry News 23
Stic-o Explorer sales down 52% for June! Auto Industry News 9
E The End Of The Explorer!!!!oh No!! Auto Industry News 53
B Ford Recall... again 1991 > Explorer, Ranger, Sport Trac Auto Industry News 40
C honda crv vs explorer Auto Industry News 12
Rick 2008 Ford Explorer Features Auto Industry News 22
S $2 billion lawsuit against Ford Re: Explorer Auto Industry News 49
M Ford Explorer reliability - how does it compare? Auto Industry News 48
N Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV Auto Industry News 122
F how bout a Explorer hybrid or diesel or dieselhybrid Auto Industry News 6
W Explorer's didn't do too bad Auto Industry News 8
Rick Explorer "Ironman" edition Auto Industry News 11
Rick Ford Explorer, Sport Trac And Mercury Mountaineer Earn Highest Iihs Frontal Crash Tes Auto Industry News 0
Rick FORD EXPLORER & MERCURY MOUNTAINEER EARN NHTSA'S HIGHEST CRASH TEST RATINGS Auto Industry News 0
Rick 2007 Explorer Sport Trac Press Kit Auto Industry News 46
E More Explorer Sport Trac Concept Pictures (2006) Auto Industry News 0
Rick 2006 Ford Explorer Product Information Auto Industry News 20
O Important Explorer & Mustang possible recalls.Important read! Auto Industry News 5
Stic-o 2006 Explorer Auto Industry News 260
Stic-o Ram Air Explorer? Could it be? Auto Industry News 1
X Ford Explorer in No. 8 spot Auto Industry News 7
9 Explorer Sport dead for 2004?? Auto Industry News 1
S Centennial Edition Explorer Auto Industry News 21
H 2003 Explorer Sportsman Auto Industry News 8
T End of the road for Explorer Sport? Auto Industry News 69
0 Soft top Explorer sport? Auto Industry News 1
U explorer, mountaineer, and now the aviator Auto Industry News 22
R American people like Ford Explorer - 5th place Auto Industry News 7
R NHTSA Denies Firestone Request For Ford Explorer Investigation Auto Industry News 1
D Jury rules against Ford in Explorer Rollover case! Auto Industry News 15
M Rumor Control: Explorer Sport? Auto Industry News 24