The New 2005 Explorer Sport Trac Concept | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The New 2005 Explorer Sport Trac Concept

Raminator157

Mopar Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Essex Jct Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ram 1500
I did a search and did not see that anyone posted this. It really looks alot like the new F150.

Ford invented the sport utility truck in 2001, bringing to market the Explorer Sport Trac, the first sport utility vehicle with the versatility of four full doors, a roomy feature-filled interior and a pickup truck's cargo box. With a wider and longer stance and improved power, this concept offers even more versatility and flexibility than today's Explorer Sport Trac. It also comes equipped with Ford's exclusive Roll Stability Control.

The Explorer Sport Trac concept takes the vehicle to a new level – lower than ever for a mean, street look. Riding on massive 21-inch, 10-spoke aluminum wheels with a gunmetal finish and custom Goodyear tires, the Explorer Sport Trac concept delivers an improved ride thanks to a new independent rear suspension.

The Explorer Sport Trac concept's smooth appearance is achieved by simple lines, excellent proportions and clean body panels. The door handles have been shaved off, adding to the sleek look of this street rod machine. Two side scoops located just in front of the A-pillar and two hood scoops give this concept a performance look. In the rear, sleek wraparound taillamps make a distinctive statement.

The Explorer Sport Trac concept's interior adds to its street rod look and feel. With two rows of seating, the environment is simple, yet modern. It features four bucket captain’s chairs separated by a front and rear center console with an abundance of storage. The truck's primary gauges are contained within a singe oval instrument binnacle. The speedometer is prominently displayed next to the tachometer. Audio and climate controls are presented in the center of the instrument panel, just ahead of the floor-mounted shifter. Polished aluminum accents the air vents, instrument binnacle and shifter.

The Sport Trac concept is equipped with Ford's exclusive Roll Stability Control technology, which adds another dimension of sensing to conventional electronic stability control systems. Roll Stability Control will be included on more than half a million Ford Motor Company SUVs by the end of 2005.

Story by Ford Motor Company, Edited by Supercars.net

PicFetch

PicFetch

PicFetch

2005_ford_explorer_sport_trac-6.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd definitely have to get one if it actually looks like that one...

Why do they have to ruin any trucks in there line up. I would be more interested in seeing ford put out a small SUV like the explorer that was already equipped to be a truck rather than another damn car hiding under a truck body.

I like the shaved handle look - to bad they'll probably change it for production.

I like the looks of it, especially the back, but i think its safe to say there isnt a 4x4 version. I wonder if they'll actually produce it with shaved door handles.

from the side, it just looks too much like a new dodge...

MDPuckett84 said:
I like the looks of it, especially the back, but i think its safe to say there isnt a 4x4 version.

While I haven't read any articles that say whether the concept is a 4x4, none of them have said that the production version would not be available with 4x4. I think it would be safe to assume that since the concept is built on a lengthened version of the current Explorer chassis that the production version will have optional 4-wheel drive and possibly IRS. I also think the reason the concept doesn't look like a 4x4 (even though it might be) is because they lowered it to give it "street cred" to quote Ford's chief designer J. Mays. As much as we off-road guys hate to admit it, most of the current "trucks" are designed to appeal more to soccer moms and rap stars. But that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be modified to perform acceptably off-road.

I like the overall look of the concept even though I realize a lot of the show features would not be practical for my use. What I am hoping is that the production version will have a chassis similar to the next generation of the Ranger truck. I doubt Ford would build the next Ranger with IRS so maybe the production version of the Sport Trac won't have it either.

Its IRS for sure, from what I've heard and read.

Now THAT's a Sport Trac!!!

Even with that much lift it looks like you still have tire clearance issues. :confused:

Fordexplorer157 said:
I did a search and did not see that anyone posted this. It really looks alot like the new F150.

PicFetch

PicFetch

It almost looks like a four door version of the Lightning Concept!

lightningconcept9.jpg

Back