The ol' Jiggle-the-stick starting issue 1996 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The ol' Jiggle-the-stick starting issue 1996 Explorer

ffchampmt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0, automatic transmission, 135,000 miles.

Over the last few years occasionally, maybe 1 in 10 starts, I'd have to jiggle the shifter to get the vehicle started. In the last few weeks it's turned into every start I'd have to jiggle it a lot, and last Tuesday nothing could get it to start. No spin, no clicks, nothing. It doesn't matter how I moved it around, even putting it in neutral wouldn't get it to engage the starter. In attempting to troubleshoot I replaced the starter relay on the inside fender, replaced the battery, and checked voltages and connections with no change. Tried dozens of times this week and again wouldn't start. Today I tried again and the magic jiggle got it to start.

What I'm here to ask is, what sensors or relays could be faulty here? Could it be something loose I could tighten up? I checked under the dash (as well as my 6'-4" body would fit) and it seemed the connection from the stick to the round metal disk is tight, though there is a little play in the shifter. Can anyone start theirs in neutral? Maybe this is a starter issue that just seems related.

Any leads would certainly be appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the shiftier linkage to the neutral-safety switch. Most likely have a lot of corrosion on there. Clean that off with some sand paper and then retry. if that doesn't work then you might need a safety switch. I had a Mazda 3 that would not start so the first think i did was change the starter thinking it was that. No dice. then i started asking around and someone said check the NSS and sure enough, that was it. It also had corrosion on it but it still need the switch.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is this on the trans?

Yes. I don't know where exactly but you should be able to follow the linkage.

I'd put money on it being the cable in the dash. Pull the kick plate off and really check

Thanks. I'll check tonight after work to see what I can dig up. Appreciate the help.

Back