• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

The Perfect storm

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
We've had over 3" of rain so far, gusts over 40 mph and lost power for 20 minutes..and we're 250 miles inland....

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
Another large tree branch broke off behind my 1988 van. It looks like it touched a little, but I can't tell if there is any damage. It doesn't look like it broke anything, but it's hard to tell at night. I don't want to be outside in that area. It's dangerous since more branches could break off at any time. A large branch dented the roof during the last big storm.

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Back on line after about a 3 hour power loss. Before that the power has gone off well over 10 times. The National Weather Service released a statement saying, Flooding is imminent for all local streams, Potomac and Shenandoah rivers. A lot of homes in Martinsburg are already flooded.
Blizzard conditions in a few counties west from me. The storm will make a left hand turn and come directly towards the Eastern Panhandle of WV before turning more northernly. The wind is just relentless. If I feel it's safe to drive about tomorrow, I will and post some pics. Need to check on some friends that live on the Potomac. That's if I've still got power. But were all safe and plenty of heat even with no power.

lynchy wa

Down Under Beer Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT V8
All the best to all getting hammered by this storm, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
All is well is Western PA, we had a good amount of rain overnight and the rivers are quite high but no dangers of flooding yet. Hope everyone is doing ok and has minimal damage this morning.

leebo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mingo Junction, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
Just west of Pittsburgh here....got hit with about 3 inches rain and 40mph winds. Lost a tree and several branches in the back yard, but all fell into the woods so I'm over it.

All the toys I forgot to pickup outside stayed in place however! :biggthump:biggthump

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

hlg99

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Mounty Premier
Got a couple of roofs in the neighborhood peeled back, lights flickered a couple of times. All in all I lucked out.

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
I drove up to work a little while ago. 35 miles and not a single traffic or street light. No power anywhere. Only thing open was home depot and lowes.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
A friend of mine called to say that he has no electricity since last night. My wife's friend also has no power. It looks like the side of the block I'm on is one of the few areas with power. Last night I heard a lot of fire trucks driving around, and smelled something burning. Power transformers caught fire when trees hit power lines, and shorted the transformers. I'm surprised that there are no circuit breakers or fuses to prevent this from occurring.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Nothing happened here - a little disappointing that it wasnt ~15 degrees colder cauz then we could've had some of the good stuff (snow).

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
DSC04081-1.jpg

Once Sandy met up with the cold front later in the evening that's when the trees started coming down. This was taken out my kitchen window this morning. In the right hand bottom side of pic this large Oak just snapped right off. Lucky it fell parallel to those power lines.

DSC04079-1.jpg

Lucky that this Oak fell this direction cause goodbye garage roof. My back was up against the garage wall when pic was taken. A lot of people in the development were not so lucky. Many still don't have power with power lines crossing the roads. It was a little spooky when the power went out and you can hear all the loud crackling from tree trunks and limbs snapping wondering if one was going to come through the roof of the house. I'm really giving it some thought as cutting down some of the Oaks, as much as I don't want to. So nice with all the shade in the Summertime. But this along with the Derocha wind in June that caused me property damage is trying my nerves and we still got Nov to go through.

The lady who's large Oak fell near my garage said if I cut up, I can have it for fire wood, kinda poetic justice so next time I'll have emergency fire wood from the next big storm lol.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
We just got heavy rains and strong winds with pretty powerful gusts. Lost power yesterday evening for an hour and a half.

MONMIX

I fix dents
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
another survivor checking in.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Glad to hear that everyone who has checked in is doing well. I hope that trend continues!

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Ms. Flounder has office hours at Ocean Medical Center tomorrow. I'm giving her my camera for the drive out.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
In central Virginia we made it through without any major damage.

If anyone needs advice on home damage repair, I am a professional engineer, with experince in single family home storm damage repair. I only carry my certification in Va., but I may be able to help. PM me if you need help.

Last year, Hurricane Irene, dropped trees on my house, so I have been throught the insurance and repair process as well.