• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

The Perfect storm

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
If anyone needs advice on home damage repair, I am a professional engineer, with experince in single family home storm damage repair. I only carry my certification in Va., but I may be able to help. PM me if you need help.

Thanks for supporting the EF family:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
s_s20_RTR39R9T.jpg

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Wow, that looks pretty intense. Stay safe.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
What's that shining on my Ex? :dunno: Oh, I remember now, it's the sun. :smoke: I absolutely hate the rain. Nice to have the ole girl back.

ExAfterSandy.jpg

KPT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL 4x4
Power transformers caught fire when trees hit power lines, and shorted the transformers. I'm surprised that there are no circuit breakers or fuses to prevent this from occurring.

There are fuses on transformers. I don't know enough about them to know why they didn't work though.

1117010905_8941f569fc_m.jpg

That thing parallel with the insulator is a fuse.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
My area always had constant brown out, and power surges. The city councilman got after the power company a few years ago to make them upgrade the lines, but it didn't change anything. They charge a maintenance fee every month. I don't know what it's being used on.

Thanks for telling me about the cartridge fuse. That thing looks like it's a few feet long. I'm sure that it could handle very high current. I think that the holder must have corrosion, and that's why we're always having power issues.

rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
DSC04089.jpg

Just another tree down pic, or is it? This is the woods behind my home but there are two things that interest me in this pic. This tree or trees since it comes out of the ground as one and then splits off, must have came down early in the storm. Note all the leaves on it compared to trees around it that had all the leaves blown off.

DSC04088.jpg

Here's the other thing that interests me. The one pic that I poster earlier about the tree that missed my garage was one thing...but had this one came down and hit my tree stand in the background (just above the center horizontal tree), well that would have been more then I could bare. This tree stand has been responsible for putting venison in the freezer year after year. And besides the garage is insured. That's why the insurance co. paid me for the damage from the Derecho wind back in June. Need to insure that stand :D
You can just see some homes through the top right of the pic, one of those is my home. This piece of property belongs to my friend Scotty, he's the one that gave me the Cadillac air ride suspension pump for my OBA system.
If any good came out of this storm for me, it's the life time supply of free firewood that I can get from these woods. And that's a huge saving since I have electric heat. Especially need to cut down this tree...It's a Field of Fire Thing :salute:

But my heart goes out for those along the coast who really took a beating. They need to get those people shelter quick, another North Eastern is brewing. Nowhere as bad, but when it's Nov and you have no heat or proper shelter...not a good thing.