"The Poor Man Project" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"The Poor Man Project"

painted front/rear bumpers, stepbars (truck bed coating), fender flares, tail light, rims, removed amber insert in headlight housing, tinted windows 20% all around, debadged, meshed grille.

It should be the chespest project with the most works done. I did them all with my two hands... the grille is the ONLY addition. Tell me what you think.

explorer01.jpg

explorer02.jpg

explorer03.jpg

explorer04.jpg

explorer05.jpg

explorer06.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the look. I am wondering how well painting those plastic parts will hold up in the long run.

I'm sure it'll last as long as the truck last...

and I used rocker panel paint to paint the step bar (which is made of metal) and truck bed coating for rear bumper. Both looks and feels much better. Rust and scratch resistence...

Please post details of the prep work and the painting.

Looks great.....

I just wet sanded them to make them smooth... and PAINT ON!!! a few coats of paint, and then wet sand again... then clear coat (only the fender flares), since the truck bed and rocker panel paints don't need the shine.

NOPE :) it's a DIY by newbie... hehe

the surface of the panels are really smooth, and the dupli-color really sticks! so i decided I wouldn't spend the time on using primer. and it's BLACK, maybe i would if it was something else.

No Primer should be used on the plastic parts, they should be glazed slightly with green scothbright, washed down with simple green,dried,wiped down with acyli-clean solvent, when dry tacked off and make sure you use an adhiesion promoter as the first coat, than paint, I used Sem automotive cladding paint on my EGRs, ventshades and all my cladding, has held up to perfection going on about a year now

fender flares

Where'd you get the fender flares?
Karl

Dam those tails with the painted flares looks absolutely sharp! Job well done.

Looks like a S.W.A.T vehicle.

Premier said:
Looks like a S.W.A.T vehicle.

I'm in, that looks great I have always been a fan of completly blacking everything out, awsome job looks great!!! :chug:

Just need some center caps and you're good to go. ;)

i have center caps but i took them off.... they dun look good imo...

I did mine too about 7-8 months ago...still holding strong:
235343_133_full.jpg

235343_136_full.jpg

looking good :) you dun have the fender flares tho... i took them off and thought I would just fill the holes... but then it would involve a lot more work, so i just painted the fender flares... I don't like them. but it looks much better now.

I think your fender flares look good. Nice work

Sorry man, I'm not that hip on the rims, but everything else looks GREAT!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

was it only double sided tape holding on the emblems?

Back