The Quest for 30MPG HWY is underway... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Quest for 30MPG HWY is underway...

What's a dynamometer going to tell you about MPG?

Not a damn thang! lol...

I just wanted to get a baseline so I can see the difference when piecing the intake and exhaust .

I'll report mileage when I get the intake on and then I'll report back also when the exhaust is added to see if there is an actual increase in and difference by each component when evaluating my MPGs. The DYNO was merely a baseline to establish to work with and record AFRs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be looking forward to the results of this; nothing better than improving fuel economy while adding a bit of power :)

I'll be looking forward to the results of this; nothing better than improving fuel economy while adding a bit of power :)

Well.......

Where do I start!

1. CGS Products
2. Dyno
3. Review

I guess I'll break it down like this;

1. CGS Products; I received the Exhaust on the 8th and Intake on the 9th.

First impression not a good one, you might wonder why? Well I opened the box for the exhaust on that day I received.
a.) No Parts lists, mounting instructions, and warranty paperwork.
b.) First eye-guesstimate measurment didn't seem right.
c.) The welded spots and overall fit and finish nothing to rave about. Questionable at best, but I'll get into that later.

2. Dyno:WOW what a ***** to dyno the Explorer properly!
a.) Dyno Jet used, it was unable to get an accurate reading until the Terrain Management Failed and AWD was turned off, making it only FWD.
b.) You need to turn off Traction Control and Sway Trailer on the settings Menu on the left side of the LCD.
c.) When FWD was fully engaged the engine put down 206.29 HP and 183.07 TQ. This was in Manual mode in 3rd Gear, with AWD off, traction, and sway control off at 6500 Redline.
d.) Dyno'ed with CGS intake put out 201.68 HP and 203.25 TQ with only 6000 RPMs. For some reason we could not duplicate AWD off mode and we couldn't get the Terrain Mangament Control to Malfunction and get it to FWD only.

3. When the Baseline was ripped at 6500miles and we got the figures
on Para 2, Sub Para C.; the vehicle was turned off and cooled by fan while I changed out the OEM intake with CGS, this was done completely only hand tools. One flat head screws driver and one 8mm socket and torx that I can't recall at this time with the same screwdriver handle that allowed to change bits.

a.) Swap out 30 mins tops, taking your time and finding the right hose I didn't have supplied by manufacturer.
b.) I pre-staged all parts necessary to expedite install. When I took off the OEM intake all you need to do is loosen two screw type bands and take out the two 8mm screws holding the airfiilter box and ram air type scoop.
c.) Pull out the main tube with left and right side air chambers that slow the intake process to give you that refined low to no vibartion and silent but deadly response to throttle inputs as it makes the engine lack for 2 to 3 seconds when leaving from a standstill.

So what is my take on the intake well......

I can feel for some reason a slight vibration in the engine that goes up through the steering wheel, no engine check lights came on and when Dyno'ed the AFR stayed at the consistent rate of 14.8 to 15 but never any higher. Just like with the stock OEM filter box and components, once thing that you can NOTICEABLE hear and feel is a louder groan under hard accleration kinda like a Police Officer flooring his Ford Crown Victoria when in pursuit when you watch COPS. Also what you get in return is when you lift your foot off the gas pedal the deacceleration process is no where near as harsh as with the OEM air intake. What I mean is that when you lift your foot off the gas pedal the Ex doesn't go in to rapid slow down.....it actually stays at a steady pace without having to consistenly leave your foot on the gas pedal to maintain that 40 mph speed when on restricted areas like a residential zone.

When I noticed that the engine wouldn't drag the vehicle down, I also noticed that the MPGs gauge was much higher it actually stayed in the 30s rather then in the lower 20s as when in stock OEM airfilter.

I do however like that fact that it gets up to speed alot quicker than before, when under acceleration is does produce that intake drone but nothing that can be tuned out by your favorite music selection and volume. When you are easy on it and pussy futting it. It acutally stays quiet like STOCK.

I'm still debating to see what wifey will think as she is the primary driver of the Ex, but good thing she is in Texas right now visiting family.

So I'll see what she says.

But the quality of the pipe and filter is top notch, the fitting of the MAF sensor that slides into the rectangular cut out was 100% EXACT! I would recommend the Intake 100%, All the components are really machined to exact specifications and the rubber grommet and silver tube are tight and fit correctly.

One thing I can say for sure is that in Sand Mode it sure is fun and it elevates my heart rate big time!!

I find that the Torque values have gone up tremendously, I can really hear it in the intake, you won't believe how restricted the OEM intake is. I can't believe the fact that it jumped from 183 to 203 just with the intake. I know I know I hear some nay sayers, but I got a Dyno to prove it. And thats with the Engine not going to the full 6500 rpm cutoff.

Well I hope this helps some of you guys out and I tried to weigh the parts, but the CGS intake I couldn't really get a scale reading but I can assure you that the OEM box and components have about a solid 2.5lbs more than the CGS one.

So let me know what you think!

Getting on the lift.
Intake3.jpg

She gets strapped down by the control arms.
Intake4.jpg

The Front strapped down, be careful when and if you do a dyno. Watch the air intake for the tranny.
Intake5.jpg

This is prestaged, see how everything is on and ready for just to be screwed and clicked in.
Intake2.jpg

In the engine bay. If you notice the black hose on the right going into the rear of the engine, it is supposed to be red provided from CGS, I have already confirmed it through them.
Intake1.jpg

I have talked to CGS for several hours now and they are working on providing the install paperwork and parts inventory list. The gentleman I have been talking to there is wanting to make me happy and do what is right to make it right. He is the one with the Silver Ex, I told him about the forum and how if they post the dyno sheets they have now they'd have a whole lot more of buiness.

We are working on getting the exhaust right......a whole other story and thread to be honest.

But I'm more happy with the down to earth guy and excange of info with him over the phone. I'm am certain that he'll make it right.

First and foremost, thanks for doing this so tediously.

20ft lbs?! I'm skeptical. Can you post the graphs?

Are you using photobucket to host the pics? Using the forums pic hosting is FTL.

I'm skeptical too, but I can feel it!

First and foremost, thanks for doing this so tediously.

20ft lbs?! I'm skeptical. Can you post the graphs?

Are you using photobucket to host the pics? Using the forums pic hosting is FTL.

Car 54 Sir,

If anyone is more skeptical than you is me!!

I honestly don't believe it either, but if you hear and see what and how restrictive the OEM stock intake and box is you'd be surprised.

The Growl this thing makes is really more than it should be but you'll see that how much air is actually going into this intake you'd be surprised.

I tried to use the OEM scoop and shove that air into the intake but could not get that scoop out of the lower section of the intake....believe me I tried, screw driver and sheer muscle followed by screwdriver no dice Senor!!

Intake7.jpg

Intake6.jpg

What now Playa???

What now Playa???
Is that just two runs? I ask because in order to gain confidence in the numbers, usually you have to make multiple runs with the same exact configuration. And all of the stuff altering AWD/TRAC off between the runs kind of throws more uncertainty in the numbers since that could have introduced more variables in the test.

Is that just two runs? I ask because in order to gain confidence in the numbers, usually you have to make multiple runs with the same exact configuration. And all of the stuff altering AWD/TRAC off between the runs kind of throws more uncertainty in the numbers since that could have introduced more variables in the test.

OH NO MY Friendl....I was there for about 3 hours and 10 pulls later, until we got where we could duplicate a hard pull all the way unitl dropoff of 5.5 RPMs and then til 6k but no more. We tried as you can see on the graph.

Just so everyone is tracking the most HP that was extracted was 8 hp, and that was the same number that CGS got from an independent Dyno owner who had nothing to do with CGS since they don't have there own DYno....FYI!!

Tio, great work, thank you for sharing the info, on a side note, everyone who's has had a new x early on, how long did it take to see a mileage increase, I'm currently getting about 15 mpg combined, and I have abbot 500 miles on the new ride.

Give it til about 1k (in the manual) and I'd do an oil change ahead of scheduled too. This way you get any metal shavings after you're initial breaking. I did my around 1200 or 1300 miles.

Nice writeup... like the pics. interesting dyno numbers.

was wondering on the exhaust... were the tip edges rolled? lol... i am just picky on details and quality. sounds like cgs gas been helpful... but wondering how the magnaflows would be since they just came out.

keep us updated.

as for vibration you noticed... i wonder from the picture... the intake has a bracket welded at the front... is it fastened to the front chassis of the car or the engine?

if at the chassis then possibly vibration is being transmitted from engine to chassis.

before i read your vibration comment, i was already wondering about that bracket and thought it be weird if attached to chassis. when you rev most engines hard enough, often you will see the engine torquing on it's mounts. i know its got a silicon sleeve that should allow for some play... but still i rather be mounted differently.

also, what kind of filter is it? do you have to re-oil when cleaning it? how much is a replacement?

Nice writeup... like the pics. interesting dyno numbers.

was wondering on the exhaust... were the tip edges rolled? lol... i am just picky on details and quality. sounds like cgs gas been helpful... but wondering how the magnaflows would be since they just came out.

keep us updated.

Well the tips are not rolled they look straight cut at an angle, but we'll see they look mean thats for sure.

CGS is beeing very helpful...but to be honest when I hear back from them on Monday will either make or break my desicion to put them on. Its not a true after Cat-Back as for what I am seeing right now.

CGS told me that Ford engineers where present when they made the exhaust and that the Engineers stated that the flanged portion of the exhuast provides plenty of volume of exhaust gases, so in reality there is no bottle neck or reduced flow of exhuast gases.

I'll post a seperate post and let everyone know. I want a true bolt on with no cutting welding and or addtional headaches, Just a true bolt on. If I found out that on Monday it is not a true bolt on then its going back. I'm already not happy with the fit and finish of the mufflers and like you wish for a more rolled tips. It just I can't justify 1k Msrp for Magnaflow as I only paid about $654 for this exhaust, and that was with 10% off and free shipping. I take the deal into consideration too.

So we'll see keep your eyes open for the update of when the exhaust goes on. Which probably won't be for another week since they have to re-send me a pipe again. Atleast they don't want me to send the wrong pipe back, he doesn't want to delay anything else already.

Thx for the info. The price is right but if not a true bolt-on then definitely a deal breaker. Thats what makes the magnaflows worth it in long run because it sounds like you have to pay a shop to make it fit whereas the mags you do yourself in your garage. Hmm, surprised that flanged section doesn't cost any power.

I'm curious about your intake in my follow up post above... Starting to think it might be that bracket making the vibration. Constant vibration? Any noise associated with the vibration? I dunno if I can live with that.

as for vibration you noticed... i wonder from the picture... the intake has a bracket welded at the front... is it fastened to the front chassis of the car or the engine?

That army goes into where one of the OEM intake box screws secures to the body of the front end of the Ex.

if at the chassis then possibly vibration is being transmitted from engine to chassis.

before i read your vibration comment, i was already wondering about that bracket and thought it be weird if attached to chassis. when you rev most engines hard enough, often you will see the engine torquing on it's mounts. i know its got a silicon sleeve that should allow for some play... but still i rather be mounted differently. The vibrations since has dissappeared, I believe this is from driving and the ECU adapting to the new air coming into the tube. This is the way it feels to me, since the OEM box was very very restricted. All this new air it is taking in is way too much and the ECU needs to adapt. I can honestly say that the airflow going through the CGS air intake is three times fold. The box only has one scoop that is directing the airflow into the lower intake box. The CGS has more than trippled that new found volume and thats why it sounds the way it does under hard acceleration. Take a normal straw and enlarge it by three times and attempt to suck the air through and it is the same affects. Hope this makes sense to you.

also, what kind of filter is it? do you have to re-oil when cleaning it? how much is a replacement?
It appears to be of K&N quality, it is oiled and I need to look into a replacement unless it is washable and you can re-oil which I'm sure you can use K&N recharge kit.

Tomorrow I'll ask those questions when I'm back in contact with CGS.

The right goes into the throttle body, if you notice both chambers the air gets rerouted to before making its way into the engine. Restrictive you say?
IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

This is where the air enters into the lower intake of the box, it was measured 5 inches wide by 2 inches in height.
IMG_1979.jpg

Hope this gives you a better understanding of how why I'm am getting drone when under hard acceleration, it is gobbling up more air than it was in stock form. Not including the air routes of the two chambers and finally into the engine. That is what explains why it takes several seconds for the Ex to march from a stand still. Most cars you hit the gas and go.
IMG_1980.jpg

Only screw that secures the intake elbow of the intake.
IMG_1982.jpg

Here you see the intake.
IMG_1983.jpg

Stock filter, pretty clean after 7500 miles, could easily double that. This goes to show you that the OEM design is so good at keeping crap out of the box since it goes through the grill first, and then down the tube to the lower intake.
IMG_1981.jpg

One think I did forget to mention, I've dropped from 28.6 mpgs to 26.6. Not a good sign but still allowing the ECU to adjust, if this persist then I might have to revert back to stock. I guess we'll see first what happens when I tow the boat again. That will be the last test after this is said and done.

Thanks for the info!

Your comment about the off-throttle drag of the engine is spot-on. I've noticed the same thing and wondered why they designed it that way. Actually, with the crappy MFT I really wonder if they even noticed it, such is my loss of faith. Still, the mechanical engineering seems good so I wonder if that engine braking effect is known and intentional.

Any more thoughts on the vibration and how that bracket mounts?

Also- while it isn't a big thing it would be nice if they would clean up their welds a bit. :)

It's a bit disappointing to see ~90HP lost to drivetrain! I wonder about the AWD fault, etc. It seems lots of folks are experiencing AWD loss when the Ex gets pushed at all.

Also- while it isn't a big thing it would be nice if they would clean up their welds a bit. :)

It gets worst with the exhaust!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One think I did forget to mention, I've dropped from 28.6 mpgs to 26.6. Not a good sign but still allowing the ECU to adjust, if this persist then I might have to revert back to stock. I guess we'll see first what happens when I tow the boat again. That will be the last test after this is said and done.

Could that be because your in the throttle more so you can hear the intake's deep growl?:D

Back