The Quest for 30MPG HWY is underway... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Quest for 30MPG HWY is underway...

Could that be because your in the throttle more so you can hear the intake's deep growl?:D

LOL!! Maybe...

But I did notice today that city driving the efficiency has gone up, I've managed to stay above 20mpgs which is a very first for when in city traffice and lights.

One of the great things I've noticed that the intake does help out is in the department of acceleration take off. It doesn't require so much foot to get up to 40mph, it is quite effortless and it seems to be more efficient overall in the city....kinda of plus I think since most of us spend time in city traffic, lights, and idling.

P.S. Neither Magnaflow or CGS replace the flange location where we all believe it reduces outflow, Ford confirmed that it allows more air than the regular tube running all the way back to the tail pipes.

You only get that deep growl when you really get on it.

RandyH2

It seems not that under load that hanger arm that attaches to the front of the vehicle and the flex hose to the throttle allow for some play. Today I readjusted the intake elbow and retightened all the fittlings and clamps, I one to see tomorrow morning when I go to work it something changes.

I'll report back.

So efficiency in city UP
2mpgs down on highway, I think the ECU is not letting the engine past 4k rpms, when I'm on the highway tomorrow under load I will manual it and keep in it third to see if it'll go up to redline.

Personally I think so much air is getting induced that the ecu and engine don't know what to do.

Next is the exhaust, spoke to CGS they are pretty embarrassed that both items I purchased had two flaws, they are working to correct this, they are re sending me the pipe that was incomplete and the red hose for the intake.

Also THERE IS CUTTING to the OEM exhaust, then you slide the pipe on and clamp it. All pipes connect and clamp and uses OEM hanger locations.

You need to cut 4 inches back from the muffler, I noticed that Magnaflow is replacing the resonator and is complete bolt on but for the $3 to $350 extra thats a deal breaker for me.

Ford Engineers actually came out to CGS and help them design the exhaust for the aftermarket folks. I'll take my chances and cut the one pipe and use the exhaust I got. I don't wanna deal with shipping back and waiting another month. They said that they tried it without the resonator and it was extrememly loud.

Of course I'm sure some of you will debate this.....bring it on.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update on cgs intake and stock ram air

Well folks...

I fixed what I suspected I did wrong, yesterday I went ahead and loosened the two clamps in back. I slid the red tube all the way back and tightened that sucker back down. Today now I have a man's throttle tone when under hard accleration.

I also gained back my 2 lost mpgs and even flirted with mid 29s on the mpgs....

OH yeah, still had to dick around with the Explorer after I got home. I have one more angle to try....I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if I used the OEM intake tube to create a ram-air inake affect and kinda create a cyclone like effect instead of the air coming in from all areas that are open.

So I proceeded to remove the tube from the lower intake of the box, and went ahead and placed it back in the stock location to use it for fresh air from outside that would direct cooler air into the engine bay under the air filter.

Here are some pics...

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

I'll report back if any improvement on this set up....I like experimenting.

Looking at the mount on the far end of the bracket- is that a solid mount (bolt-through) or is there some bushing around the bolt to isolate vibration?

I'm interested in knowing how your mod works as well. In other versions of cold air intakes I have seen them build a box to surround the filter and isolate it on the engine side. Like this: http://www.knfilters.com/aircharger/aircharger.htm

Looking at the mount on the far end of the bracket- is that a solid mount (bolt-through) or is there some bushing around the bolt to isolate vibration?

I'm interested in knowing how your mod works as well. In other versions of cold air intakes I have seen them build a box to surround the filter and isolate it on the engine side. Like this: http://www.knfilters.com/aircharger/aircharger.htm

Both bolts go through and also have a bushing to isolate any type of vibration.

Randy way ahead of you...before I pulled the tube out of the lower intake, I attempted to place the lower half on there and use the lower box. It was to high and the air filter would have hit the hood, so I went against it. I'm hoping this creates a more subtle draw of air flow in as opposed to every direction to include under it. We'll see what happens, I'm pretty sure that the ECU has adapted. I am attempting to load a video I took. Youtube takes so long to upload a video geez, I'll have the exhaust on before it loads.

Tio,

Get that flange welded up if you're going to keep the exhaust. Glad you got you mpgs back!

Car 54 Sir,

If anyone is more skeptical than you is me!!

I honestly don't believe it either, but if you hear and see what and how restrictive the OEM stock intake and box is you'd be surprised.

The Growl this thing makes is really more than it should be but you'll see that how much air is actually going into this intake you'd be surprised.

I tried to use the OEM scoop and shove that air into the intake but could not get that scoop out of the lower section of the intake....believe me I tried, screw driver and sheer muscle followed by screwdriver no dice Senor!!

What now Playa???

Just seeing this...I'm really skeptical of this as an accurate dyno. It looks like two different cars entirely. Not saying they're not yours, I just think the ECU and traction control are skewing your results.

I was just looking at the K&N site and checked the Flex and Taurus systems. They list ~9 and ~11 HP gains. I wonder why the CGS part showed a drop on the dyno-- makes me wonder about the AWD problems you were experiencing.

I was just looking at the K&N site and checked the Flex and Taurus systems. They list ~9 and ~11 HP gains. I wonder why the CGS part showed a drop on the dyno-- makes me wonder about the AWD problems you were experiencing.

I hear ya, we couldn't get the AWD to turn off as the previous run. I'm sure it is more, I can feel it and on my acceleration runs. The torque is definately there and working big time!!

Draw back though, I'll be removing the OEM intake scoop. I can feel the air draw messing the intake, final eval on the way today and I don't get the results I experienced yesterday...its coming off. The air flow is partially blocked I can feel it when accelerating.

Believe me though, there is a definate gain on HP and TQ. I'll have to figure it out, this AWD is a bit difficult to overide. All passes were with Traction Control and Trailer Sway off. Some in Sand Mode too.

Just seeing this...I'm really skeptical of this as an accurate dyno. It looks like two different cars entirely. Not saying they're not yours, I just think the ECU and traction control are skewing your results.

I've done many dynos before when I had my M3, and even the torque increase on this one for the Ex is way over with just an open air filter and intake tube swap out. So I'm still checking things out, atleast I can say for a fact is that there is more power and torque than before and I LIKE IT!!!

Send me your parts, I'll go dyno my FWD. ;)

Seriously though...the bigger issue with your numbers is either Ford's truly bogus HP/TQ claims or their drivetrain loss.

Send me your parts, I'll go dyno my FWD. ;)

Seriously though...the bigger issue with your numbers is either Ford's truly bogus HP/TQ claims or their drivetrain loss.

I actaully think it was more of the electronics and the way AWD is set up. On one pass 90 percent was on the FWD and only 10 percent back..Drivetrain loss. Its weird...even the guy operating the dyno said it wasn't right, but he also thinks it was the way the drivetrain puts the power to the ground even when traction was off. He asked me if I could make it go into AWD mode...lmao yeah right!!

Hey what did you mean weld up the Flange's? Were you referring to the exhaust? I started to think about this and it would be a good idea, keep weight low due to all the extra clamps and bolts. It would definately clean it up underneath...great idea:thumbsup:!!

Yes the exhaust. Those clamp on fittings are only good for so long I think. You can get flanges welded in so that it can be removed, just need to bolt it up and install a gasket.

Yes the exhaust. Those clamp on fittings are only good for so long I think. You can get flanges welded in so that it can be removed, just need to bolt it up and install a gasket.

The clamp is a U-bolt with clamp and bolts and nuts.

Well these are designed to slide on over each other, each section has a flaired end and they just connect. Still worth welding since I do plan on keeping it and the Explorer to til the wheels fall off.

Great thing is both the CGS intake and exhaust are lifetime gurantee, so we'll see whos life time they mean mine, theres (company) or the world.

Now that I think about what you're saying no flanges on this exhaust.

The intake is washable and re-chargeable FYI!

I suggest getting flanges installed because there might be some service required some day that forces you to remove the exhaust portion. Maybe lowering the gas tank, or suspension upgrade, bushing replacement, etc.

I suggest getting flanges installed because there might be some service required some day that forces you to remove the exhaust portion. Maybe lowering the gas tank, or suspension upgrade, bushing replacement, etc.

Funny you mention that. This is the first vehicle that Ford has completely mounted the Exhaust last. While speaking with CGS most vehicle exhausts atleast domestic, have the exhaust in between the drive shaft and rear suspension..this exhuast was mounted last. The only thing keeping this exhaust suspended is the rubber hangers from between the vehilce and exhaust. If you just look underneath the vehicle you'll see that and that if you needed to remove it even if welded would be after the flex pipe. It is a OEM clamp style that all you would have to do is loosen it and slide that pipe off and take the exhaust off the hangers. Honestly...too easy for un-mounting and mouting.

Crazy huh.

P.S. Update....I removed the OEM ram-air kit like tube it was blocking major air intake to the air filter. I removed it and I took off one of the rubber bushings that were on the tube and placed it on the arm and GUESS WHAT...no more slight vibration from when I first mounted the Intake.

So far very happy with where I am with it NOW, I'm not dicking with it anymore. I got my city MPGs up and kept my average of 27-28 on the highway.

P.S. Update....I removed the OEM ram-air kit like tube it was blocking major air intake to the air filter. I removed it and I took off one of the rubber bushings that were on the tube and placed it on the arm and GUESS WHAT...no more slight vibration from when I first mounted the Intake.QUOTE]

Aha!
Glad to hear you were able to isolate that vibration noise. Just to be clear, you used one of the factory bushings as an additional piece of the mounting "system" at the end of the CGS mounting bracket?

P.S. Update....I removed the OEM ram-air kit like tube it was blocking major air intake to the air filter. I removed it and I took off one of the rubber bushings that were on the tube and placed it on the arm and GUESS WHAT...no more slight vibration from when I first mounted the Intake.QUOTE]

Aha!
Glad to hear you were able to isolate that vibration noise. Just to be clear, you used one of the factory bushings as an additional piece of the mounting "system" at the end of the CGS mounting bracket?

YES SIR, I DID!!

Thanks for doing this!

Subscribed!

CGS Exhaust MOUNTED!!!!

YIKES!!

Geez, I'm so UN-IMPRESSED!

Okay all you need is WD40, Rachet 13/15, Rubber Mallet, and Saw.

Unmouting the OEM exhaust easy as cake! 10 mins total, two ramps, backed up.

Loosen nut on with a 15mm rachet after flex pipe, done. After that just remove hangers and with wd40 slipped literally right off no effort. Exhaust off 5-10 mins.

Cut after resonator 3.75 to 4 inches, 5 mins.

The way I mounted the system was from resonator by section.

Make sure you lube up the flex pipe, getting the resonator back on required effort...best way is to have a friend hold onto the hanger and apply pressure back towards the tailpipes. The best way to slide it on is by rolling the pipe and resonator back and forth. Header pipe alinged up perfectly with hanger location same for the second pipe after, pipes 3, 4, A nightmare!!

The mufflers go on last and you do not tighten the clamps down just apply them and leave in place.

THE PAIN IN THE ASS was aligning the pipes and mufflers, I couldn't get them to align perfectly and the CLAMPS SUCKED ASS.....They will need to be welded and sealed.

The only section that requires a bit more tightening is the muffler and pipes. I even used an air gun to tighten them and nothing! I'm pretty pissed by the ****ty overall product.

Extremely easy to put together, extremely easy to take off, I love the tips! I'm not impressed to say the least and need to align them still as they are a hair off.

I started the Ex..........BAM! Wow Wow Wow!!!!! The exhaust is throaty on start up...kinda like a Borla!! For some crazy reason when I rev it I hear the intake and exhaust working together, its crazy this was not expected. Even my wife commented...THANK GOD, it sounds so much better then when you picked me up at the airport.

Its quiet like OEM once at warm idle, now it even responds quicker! Hot Damn, I'm loving the throatier, more pronounced truck like apperance and stance. The soundtrack now is complete! I'm in love again! I can't wait to get in her again and go for another ride...but I'm stuck taking the BMW to work since the old lady is back home!

No intrusive additional noises in the cabin!!

So thats my hasty initial impression of the exhaust. Now all we need is for someone to comment on the Magnaflow....which by the way I enjoy the tips better on my CGS than the magnaflows... Its like this, OEM tips equal Magnaflow tips..CGS tips are more pronouced and truck like than short and stubby.

Ex11-2.jpg

Ex12-1.jpg

Ex13.jpg

Do you guys thing the tips are a little low? Also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a bitter-sweet install... Nice of you share your entire experience.

Glad you like the output of the exhaust... Sounds like a poorly made system though... Are you going to keep it?

Have you driven in city and in highway to give impression of sound at those speeds, accelerating and cruising at say 40mph and 70-75mph and wide open throttle?

Maybe a YouTube vid of start up and idle? :)

Yes, from the pics, IMO... The tips are hanging too low... I'd prefer to hang like stock.
Also...from pics, does the left tip really stick out further than the right tip? If so hope you can adjust cause that would bother me.

Back