The rig gets some much needed TLC | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The rig gets some much needed TLC

Josh S - rear glass, suspension, manual tcase

Hey guys I'm back! Well it's been a while since I've done anything major to my truck and it's high time! For starters, I've been running off of one shock in the rear forever and the shock will bottom out if I hit too hard. It was just a thrown together setup cuz I got some free 5150's so I slapped em on.

Anyways, it now has 1.5" per side widened beams up front with rigid bumpstops, kings, eibach coils still. The front end hangs pretty good right now minus the jacked alignment, but that's alright for now cuz I haven't been driving much.

The imminent plans include:
1) Cleaning up the rear fender hackage, round the corners and trim up the body straight so it looks cleaner, then maybe wrap the edges into the wheelwell.

2) mount the rear fiberglass quarter panels. These will be ordered in the next few days from Fiberwerx. I have the mounts already for the fenders, courtesy of Camburg. These are preferable and less of a PITA that dzus fasteners, and I like the look too.
Fenderwasherkit.jpg

3)finish rear suspension. This will involve the most work. after a lot of thought over the past year or two(while not having any spare $$), I have decided to keep the shocks under the bed instead of coming up through the floor. I have been in Sirhk100's old X that was set up this way and it hung hard enough for what I plan on doing. I just would like to bomb around the desert mildly(not fullon race speeds) with a bit of jumping in the mix, with also doing trails of course.

Having Kings up front I would like to stick with em, and also match them with 2.5s. I'm having trouble finding some used right now so they may have to be ordered new :( I'm estimating that I will need around a 10" stroke, but cycling will tell the truth.

I will disassemble the Deaver leaf pack that is on there currently, and just have the main leaf to cycle the suspension, and get some rough measurements off of an "imaginary" upper mount, then I will know the right length to get. A crossmember will need to be fabbed for the shocks to mount to, as well as some of the stock spare tire mount cut off. gooood, my sawzall is getting a bit of dust settling on it :D

in this same time I will mount my Radflo 2" stroke hydro bumps in the cans I just picked up from Camburg. These will be nice for the harder hits in the whoops or on dropoffs or mild jumps. The short stroke and bodies of these custom bumps work great for mounting under our explorers and fitting underneath the floor. After this is complete I will measure for and order some limit straps to keep my leaf pack and shocks together at droop.

While this doesn't sound like a whole lot, it's going to be a lot of work for me but I know it is going to be awesome!

One more current event lol...I ordered a manual t-case from a guy that will be waiting for me when I get back to Chico. Just need to track down some linkage and a shifter and I'll toss that baby in to get rid of these darn shift motor blues :rolleyes:

I'm down in OC right now and won't be back up home to the truck in chico for another week or so, so not really any pics of the stuff...but you can count on this thread having mad amounts of pics once the work starts!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okie Dokie...I'm back from summer and the explorer rebuild project is going full kill. Just finished modifying a set of junkyard beams to replace the ones that I bent and broke on that fateful jump last Spring. Man that was awesome!

Enough talk I'll just post pics:D

Torn off front end
IMGP1780.jpg

Old cracked beam...
IMGP1785.jpg

Old bent radius arm bracket...
IMGP1793.jpg

Buddy working for beer...
IMGP1837.jpg

IMGP1843.jpg

Widened 1-1/4"...
IMGP1850.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

IMGP1847.jpg

IMGP1888.jpg

IMGP1894.jpg

Both beams are done being modified, now I just need to work on plating them all in and building a fat truss on the pumpkin beam so it will be nice and strong.

Radius arms and tranny crossmember are next after that, then engine cage and cab cage. Can't wait!

I have some parts for sale if anyone is interested...
IMGP1826.jpg

looking good..about time this thing got an update

looking good! what do you have for sale? are the old beams salvegable?

Thanks! Coils and coil buckets are spoken for. I still have some King shocks that I may or may not be using. I'm thinking of running a 2.5 coilover, 2.5 bump and 2.5 smoothbody up front. That would make for a pretty stout front end!:eek:

The old beams probably arent worth running. I welded up the crack just for the hell of it, but I think they are bent a bit from the landing anyhow.

I've built jigs for my new beams, so I could reproduce them if needed...;)

how much $$$ to produce them??? im still interested in the old beams too. im tired of my drop brackets, and i have small crack in my beams too at the same spot

The main cost is labor to produce these things. I've spent a lot of time out in the garage but at least it's fun. I haven't thought about a price or if I want to produce them but I do have the capabilities. Price would depend on how wide you want them (stock width, 1-1/4" each side, 4" wider, etc) and if you want a truss and reinforcement plating on them. Gusseting and reinforcing takes the most time but it is worth it to build them up. I'm not planning on cracking these ones:D

Well the beams are pretty much finished as of tonight. Still need to do a tad bit of welding to beef up the radius arm bolt bungs as these are a part that I've had trouble breaking off before also. The factory welds are pretty weak on that part.

Here is a teaser of today's work, more pics to follow.
IMGP1916.jpg

Got my buddy to help cut some steel for me:p:
IMGP1905.jpg

Time to party!:bdrunk:

Well we partied it up tonight and got to see hundreds of scandalous women walking around in costumes varying from hot nurses, army girls, sexy witches and straight up scantally clad women! Man Chico chicks don't mess around!!:eek::eek:

Anyhow got the driver's beam painted up before I went out tonight, I'm stoked. Gotta work tomorrow unfortunately so probly not much fabbing gonna go on. Hope y'all like the pic. Can't WAIT until they go on the truck!!

IMGP1928.jpg

Haha. I just got home from chico. It was a great night. I love Halloween! :)

well if you do decide you want to fab some for me, let me know how much for the same thing you have.

but wow looking really good!

no i don't think you'll be cracking these haha

Thanks for the nice words RJ. I could probly fab you up a set, I would have to cut and sleeve the passenger side axleshaft too which would add to the cost. I'll shoot ya a PM tomorrow or something. Too damn tired to think right now. Its 345am and I just worked 13 hours straight on actual work stuff that pays the bills lol...Gotta love procrastinating all weekend and working on the truck instead!!:D

:eek: tough stuff!

Dude, welcome back from your summer! Where are you these days? I'm doin' some Rebel Fab work in a couple months and may need some help.

Got started on the radius brackets last Wednesday before everyone came over for the Halloween party...bushings are for the tranny crossmember. I was gonna fab today but got sucked into working:fire: Tomorrow I will try to get the brackets done and started on the crossmember, depending on tonight's events :D:chug::smoke::bdrunk::dunno:

IMGP1937.jpg

Siiick. I think you're paying a shop to do this and you're just taking the pics. :D

Thanks man! Wish I was making that kind of money haha...

Got one of the brackets done today and cut and drilled the pieces to make the other one. Took a lil more time than I thought but it came out nicely.
IMGP1960.jpg

Here is a comparison shot between the old messed up one and the new one. Should hold up this time a little better. I made them a lot bigger too so it should have more room to spread out the load onto the frame. Speaking of frame i have some serious frame straightening to do before these bad boys go on:rolleyes:
IMGP1966.jpg

I still need to throw the tabs on where the tranny crossmember will bolt up but that will come soon. Gotta buy some more metal already!:thumbsup:

Back