The rig gets some much needed TLC | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The rig gets some much needed TLC

Josh S - rear glass, suspension, manual tcase

Hey guys I'm back! Well it's been a while since I've done anything major to my truck and it's high time! For starters, I've been running off of one shock in the rear forever and the shock will bottom out if I hit too hard. It was just a thrown together setup cuz I got some free 5150's so I slapped em on.

Anyways, it now has 1.5" per side widened beams up front with rigid bumpstops, kings, eibach coils still. The front end hangs pretty good right now minus the jacked alignment, but that's alright for now cuz I haven't been driving much.

The imminent plans include:
1) Cleaning up the rear fender hackage, round the corners and trim up the body straight so it looks cleaner, then maybe wrap the edges into the wheelwell.

2) mount the rear fiberglass quarter panels. These will be ordered in the next few days from Fiberwerx. I have the mounts already for the fenders, courtesy of Camburg. These are preferable and less of a PITA that dzus fasteners, and I like the look too.
Fenderwasherkit.jpg

3)finish rear suspension. This will involve the most work. after a lot of thought over the past year or two(while not having any spare $$), I have decided to keep the shocks under the bed instead of coming up through the floor. I have been in Sirhk100's old X that was set up this way and it hung hard enough for what I plan on doing. I just would like to bomb around the desert mildly(not fullon race speeds) with a bit of jumping in the mix, with also doing trails of course.

Having Kings up front I would like to stick with em, and also match them with 2.5s. I'm having trouble finding some used right now so they may have to be ordered new :( I'm estimating that I will need around a 10" stroke, but cycling will tell the truth.

I will disassemble the Deaver leaf pack that is on there currently, and just have the main leaf to cycle the suspension, and get some rough measurements off of an "imaginary" upper mount, then I will know the right length to get. A crossmember will need to be fabbed for the shocks to mount to, as well as some of the stock spare tire mount cut off. gooood, my sawzall is getting a bit of dust settling on it :D

in this same time I will mount my Radflo 2" stroke hydro bumps in the cans I just picked up from Camburg. These will be nice for the harder hits in the whoops or on dropoffs or mild jumps. The short stroke and bodies of these custom bumps work great for mounting under our explorers and fitting underneath the floor. After this is complete I will measure for and order some limit straps to keep my leaf pack and shocks together at droop.

While this doesn't sound like a whole lot, it's going to be a lot of work for me but I know it is going to be awesome!

One more current event lol...I ordered a manual t-case from a guy that will be waiting for me when I get back to Chico. Just need to track down some linkage and a shifter and I'll toss that baby in to get rid of these darn shift motor blues :rolleyes:

I'm down in OC right now and won't be back up home to the truck in chico for another week or so, so not really any pics of the stuff...but you can count on this thread having mad amounts of pics once the work starts!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you made it up there with no problems. Now your 13 hr. drive to Truckhaven just doubled!! :)

He can hitch a ride with DWD;):p:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks guys. Yah I'm doin good up here so far, the first day of the new job is tomorrow so hopefully I can get some cash for more parts:D Truckhaven is gonna be a stretch but should be do-able when this pig gets goin again! Chico definitely helped bring out my hick side, but I was already rapidly heading in that direction before I went there haha...

Not sure about the legality of the carbed 350 persay heh heh...according to my roommate it won't be a big deal but who knows! Allegedly he registered his car site unseen and there is no smog out where I'm livin right now! Knowing my luck I'll probly get transferred to seattle right when I get it running then I'll be screwed haha.

If it turns out to be a problem I'll just trailer it and take it for short jogs to the minimart or what not. It's been so long since I've driven the damn thing it won't be a big deal if I can't drive it everyday I figure:confused:

Well we got the motor pulled on Friday night, and I pulled the gas tank today in preparation for the fuel cell and cage. FYI, make sure you drain the gas tank as best as you can before dropping it. I chose to ignore Mr. Haynes manual and doused myself in gasoline and spilled a ton in the shop. Coulda been pretty bad if I was still a smoker!!:eek: As soon as I'm not broke anymore we are going to pick up the 350 block and heads from the JY then start building it up!:D
P6270262.jpg

P.S. I am selling my manual tranny, transfercase with linkage and shifters, and a centerforce dual friction clutch. Also, anything from the 4.0 is up for grabs super cheap if you guys need anything:)

wow Josh, sticking a 350 in this thing now huh? That's bananas. From the research I have done (which isn't much more than listen to guys who think they know what they are talking about) couldn't you go propane on a carbed engine and pick up performance?

What is wrong with a 351? :mad:

Nothing wrong with a 351, I just have a soft spot for Chevy 350's, easy to work on a cheap to build, etc...(found our block and heads for $125)Danny I have no idea about the propane performance, but it is cheaper per gallon than gas I believe...My buddy's landcruiser has a propane setup and if he runs it for too long at a time the carb (or intake whatever they use on top of the engine with those setups) actually builds up ice on the outside and gets frozen up affecting performance. I'm not sure if thats just his setup or what but I'm just looking to keep this thing as simple as possible. His reason for the addition of propane was to be able to crawl up steeper inclines without it affecting the carb.

Simple is the reason for going with a carbed engine instead of FI. Less wiring, less headache, no computers, easy to set up and get running and easy to troubleshoot if something should go wrong in the dirt. Not to mention that they just sound so damn good and I love the smell of raw unburnt fuel hahaha. I plan on running a manual tranny and t-case, with a Ford 9" in the rear all done up pretty. This is the current plan but of course who knows how much more could change along the way!;)

This thing is gonna be a blast to drive someday! Can't wait to do a four-wheeled burnout:burnout:

Oh and we hauled the old motor to the junker today so no more pinging motor and total lack of power!

Carbed 350 will kick ass in the dezert.

Ben's poor cruiser. It's about time to melt that thing and start over.

well if you want some reading info on propane you can see it here

www.gotpropane.com

I'm sure you can find some time to read that site and decide between now and 6 months from now when your truck might be able to turn under it's own power LOL. I don't know if I could bring a truck back from being this far taken apart!

you have a manual transfer case or push button?

well if you want some reading info on propane you can see it here

www.gotpropane.com

I'm sure you can find some time to read that site and decide between now and 6 months from now when your truck might be able to turn under it's own power LOL. I don't know if I could bring a truck back from being this far taken apart!

Haha thanks for the link man I'll try and check it out. I think we can definitely have the motor and drivetrain in and functional in 6 months. It's waiting on funds right now but soon that should be good to go. The time consuming part is going to be the cage and redoing the rear suspension.

RJ, the drivetrain I just took out had a manual t-case and tranny. They are all up for grabs in the for sale section, unless someone already committed to buying them. Linkage and shifters included.

I am also selling the Detroit, 4.56 R+P and superior axleshafts. Clickety

Yah Johhny Ben's truck might look like hell but it did great at the Con when we went in May...well aside from the steering box ripping off the frame haha.

No pics, but I ordered a bender last week to go with the 1.75" die I had, and bought a chopsaw. Gonna order up a bunch of DOM next week to prepare for the Thanksgiving fab extravaganza. I got transferred to a job 4hrs away from the fabshop-in-the-woods so its pretty hard to work on the Ex when I only get up there once a month at best. (hence why i haven't been around since July)

I'm hoping to have some updates for this thread come Dec.1;) hint hint...cagework...cough cough

We have a shiny new Miller 252 up there now too:cool:

I think I'm gonna hack off the shock hoops and start over and do it right. Gonna build it stronger and better. Good ole plasma cutter the rescue haha. Stay tuned!:salute:

Which bender did you get?

Get good pics when you start on the cage pleeze. I need 1st gen. A-pillar ideas. :)

I got the good ole JD squared Model 3. I had a die for it that i bought when I was using Phil's back in Chico, but that aint really so close anymore so I had to get my own.

Yep I will get pics of the cagework when I get something going. The A and B pillars will go in first. Can't wait to start on this thing.

It looks like I'm going to have to work out a custom windshield wiper setup, because the wiper actuator arms, or whatever you want to call them, are right in the way of some tubes that will be running through there. Here's a link to a company that makes a universal power wiper setup with flex cables so you can run it around whatever you want.
Clickety

2.5 weeks till I can fab again:confused:

Well I got the good word that 144LF of 1.75"x.120 wall DOM just arrived at the shop up north. My buddy was nice enough to cruise across the water to seattle to pick up the goods so it looks like we're sittin pretty for some serious FABTIME come next Thursday!! Between heavy beer and turkey intake I'm gonna do my best to get some stuff done on the cage. Gonna start by taking out the windshield, blowin some holes through the floor and hopefully get the B-pillar bent and tacked in without wasting too much tubing.:D

Stay tuned for much needed updates to this stone-age thread.:cool:

Do a good write-up so I don't waste as much tube as you're going to! :p:

Well i wish I could have gotten farther along, but there was just too much turkey to be eaten:D

First we got the bender mounted, and I finished cutting out the sheetmetal inside where the cage is going, then we got the windshield out...
PB270058.jpg

Next i got the main halo bent up...
PB290093.jpg

Fit was nice and tight. (it will be level and not tilted up in the back don't worry)
PB290094.jpg

PB290097.jpg

Then I put the rear crossbar in, and the tube that connects the B-pillars.
PB290098.jpg

PB290104.jpg

Back