The "Squirrel" is going Solid Axle..Well, Eventually | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The "Squirrel" is going Solid Axle..Well, Eventually

What is your plan on the swap? What do you want to do?

ranger_new_axle.jpg

Somewhat simple.. as in that I can easily find parts and/or repairs in other States with the connections I have. Finding cheap to free parts as I go will add time to this build as well as my on the road schedule..:(

This is going to be a slow build due to the cost while I am hoping to do some Wheelin' and Dealin' on parts..:hammer:

First thing I need to do is figure out the outers since it didn't come with them. Hopefully the shafts it came with are correct and splines have not been re-worked.

..Since it is empty, I have yet to open it up to see if the bearing caps and bolts are in it. It is missing a number of cover bolts and I definitely need to find a good cover as it's going to take some abuse..:D

..Next I'm going to cut off the 6" lift post someone installed and that will be a feat in itself.

...Goal is to not do leafs and go coil overs. I'm not sure if the ARB from my Dana 35 can be moved over to save cost and I will may move up to 5:13 gears.

The baseline of this vehicle before this swap..

95 Ranger 4wd 2.3L with Atlas (3 sticks), 8.8 rear with disc and Detroit and Chevy 63 Leafs. Front is TTB, custom Radius Arms w/ 2-5/16 joints, with stock coil and shock set up with ARB and both axles currently have 4:88 gears running 33's.

20160426_131305.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radius arms I'm presuming? And with your connections I'd think coilovers should be easily doable. Plenty of good deals on used shock parts in SoCal too.

..The only good thing is, I will have a couple custom sets of RA's for TTB for sale with Ballistic Joints..This is about all the funds I will be starting with...:)

Sign me up for this thread. . . . Looking forward to the build.

Paul
'91 Sport

Ylink radius arms with leaf spring bushings. Built using 2 inch square tube to your existing radius arm frame mount. Ford or Chevy outers what ever you find cheaper. If you had all the parts and the axle already built it should only take a week at the most to do the swap.

Biggest obstacle so far is time...and nobody I know will let me use their torch for a few hours to clean this thing up..I don't know why..:D

I was talking to RuffStuff Specialties last month and explained the axle build to them. They suggested a 3 link kit they have and said for what I do it would be better offroad with a lot more flex and still highway drive-able. The kit is like $250 though I have not seen their kit yet.

My other thought is to keep the gearing 4:88 for now so I would only need the front gears. I'm hoping to find a deal on gears and a selectable locker. Current Options you know about?

Thoughts?.. :popcorn:

Since you have the Atlas (4:1 I presume?) and 33's, I think you're more than fine to stick with 4.88s

Even with 35's that should be fine. 37's might be pushing it with a 2.3L and 4.88s. Usually the only deals I see on selectable lockers are a free compressor from ARB - but you already have that.

For the outers, try and find flat-top ones so you can go high steer. Pretty sure the stock outers from the Early Broncos and the later FSB trucks are not machineable to accept high steer arms.

Thanks for the heads up on the high steer. I def want to find some outers that are easily found, cheap to replace, and will accept high steer. Option ideas on this would sure help

I had to look it up..The Atlas is a 3:8 :D

Atlas II 3.8 T-Case for Explorer/Ranger $1,500 shipped

The 33's and 4:88's are near stock set up. Gearing wise I might be able to ease into 5:13's and 35's while not being obnoxious at highway speeds, it may be a little much on the 2.3l as I can literally tell the difference of weight added on my trips.

Now 5:13 with the 3:8 Atlas on 37's I think would do alright with the 2.3 on more hardcore trails although I might start hating the stick by then unless I slo-mo crawl :)

I looked thru @RuffStuff site for the 3 link set up and didn't find much but a little kit of parts. I'm not sure what they have but I have half that stuff on my truck already. :dunno:

$1500 for the Atlas is a great price, but the 3.8 will still be making the 2.3l work hard in the rocks... I often wish for lower than a 4.3 behind the 4l. A 3.8 with a doubler, now that would be interesting :D Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see DWD's doubler setup at work in Moab :(

Chris cut me a little better deal for the Atlas..;)

ExplorerForum Trivia Question...

Do you know whose Atlas this was Originally? Anyone? :scratch:

Thanks for the heads up on the high steer. I def want to find some outers that are easily found, cheap to replace, and will accept high steer. Option ideas on this would sure help

I had to look it up..The Atlas is a 3:8 :D

Atlas II 3.8 T-Case for Explorer/Ranger $1,500 shipped

The 33's and 4:88's are near stock set up. Gearing wise I might be able to ease into 5:13's and 35's while not being obnoxious at highway speeds, it may be a little much on the 2.3l as I can literally tell the difference of weight added on my trips.

Now 5:13 with the 3:8 Atlas on 37's I think would do alright with the 2.3 on more hardcore trails although I might start hating the stick by then unless I slo-mo crawl :)

I looked thru @RuffStuff site for the 3 link set up and didn't find much but a little kit of parts. I'm not sure what they have but I have half that stuff on my truck already. :dunno:

35's and 5.13 is what I'm running on my 4.0L manual. Turning about 2300-2500 rpm on the highway in 5th - so it's getting up there.

Most of those kits are just joints, generic tabs and tube. Unless of course it's a Jeep specific kit

$1500 for the Atlas is a great price, but the 3.8 will still be making the 2.3l work hard in the rocks... I often wish for lower than a 4.3 behind the 4l. A 3.8 with a doubler, now that would be interesting :D Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see DWD's doubler setup at work in Moab :(

3.8 with a doubler? You could crawl on your hands and knees faster that that! :)

Thanks...

...and the answer to the Atlas previous owner trivia question is: Ray Lobato :salute:

This might be the three link kit they are talking about. http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/3LINK-COILB.html

To get it for $250 would be a steal. It is very similar to how mine is setup. However I am not sure how many of the brackets you actually would be able to use. I built all my own brackets except one. I used a ruffstuff offset axle side trac bar mount.

I vote doubler with the Atlas. There are times I wish I was lower. An Atlas behind my doubler would be awesome.

so... why SAS? Just wondering.

and what are the goals with the truck?

subscribing. Mostly because I want keep an eye on what happens to your front diff :D

Back