The troubled kids in America Today (got 2 arrested) Novel | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

The troubled kids in America Today (got 2 arrested) Novel

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT
Before I start. This is a short, try to keep it short anyway, but true story about what happened to me tonight as I was out on a run. And how messed up our country is becoming. Parents beware. Your kids may not be the "angels" you all think they are. This is not meant to offend anyone and if it does, I am sorry in advance.

Also, I am just writing this all as it comes out. Not editing it, proof reading it. So, please ignore any mistakes in spelling and/or typos. Thanks in advance. Not am I an English major.

"A Run In"

So tonight I'm out running (it's dark) and I pass two kids on bikes. I didn't think anything of it really except that they were right up next to the houses doors and when I passed them they yelled to each other to, "hurry, hurry". So, I continue with my run and go over to a mexi restaurant where some live bluegrass music was going on. So I listen to the music for about an hour and then left and continued to go running. I happened to be running around a college campus that's intertwined with the downtown area. So I am heading back over to my truck when I stop to....use the restroom...:biggthump. And I see two kids, who from my distance, looked like college kids, looking into every car in the parking lot. I decide I'm gonna watch for a sec because this seemed quite suspicious.

Well, after a minute, about 20 cars or so, one of the "culprits" opens one of the cars and is snooping around inside. At this time I had had enough and wasn't about to sit around and watch theft take place. I walked down the hill through some landscaping, it was the shortest way to them, and yelled out asking them what they were doing. At this point and distance I could very clearly tell that these guys were just little boys. Who later turn our to be only 12 and 13 years old. Parents beware of your :rolleyes:"angel children".:rolleyes: They >can< get away with more than you know!:eek:

They of course they denied doing anything even though I told them I had been watching them for the past few minutes. One of them had on a mesh backpack, so I proceeded to ask him what he had in it. As well as what they both had in their pockets. He said nothing, just "his" Ipod some cds, sunflower seeds and some bike tools. Well, I had a "gut feeling", it was quite clear what they were doing, that they were lying.:thumbdwn: So I asked them a few questions. The usual, where do you live, why are you here, what are you and were you doing out here in the parking lot. They gave me hardly believable answers. So, being the Eagle Scout that I am, I told them I was gonna call the cops. They were begging to go and get their bikes. I told them that I wasn't stupid and that i knew that if I did, they would just try to run and I just didn't feel like killing anyone tonight.....ok maybe not the killing part, but the rest, yes! ;)

Literally no more than two minutes after I called and talked with the dispatcher the officer showed up. The officer, Officer Beth Blake, is a really nice petite lady that's maybe 30 with blonde hair and a calm demeanor about her self. Not the typical cops that are out to do their jobs and make sure no one gets in their way or tells them they are wrong! You know what I'm talking about. No offense to anyone on the force reading this.:salute: So anyway, I explain to her what I saw and what had happened. Also, who they "said" they were. I asked them again with Blake there and the kids said, "ok, it's not Tyler. I lied to you. It's Devin." I'm thinking to myself, "what a way to start off a conversation/interrogation with a police officer and an eye witness!" So we all, Blake, me, and the two thieves, walked over to the car that I had seen them get into. Blake looked into the car but since it was messy you couldn't tell if it had been broken into.

:thumbsup:NOTE: Keep you cars clean so that IF your one of the lucky ones who gets ripped off, there is evidence that it's been broken into!:thumbsup: She had the radioed in the tag number in an effort to identify and locate the owner(college student) to see if he/she could verify if anything was taken from the vehicle. When I left, about an hour and a half later, they had found who's car it was but, had not been able to reach her.

Officer Blake and I took the items they had and questioned them about them. I turned on the Ipod and asked if he, the one whom claimed it was his, could identify some of the artist's that were on it. He proceeded to name four bands that were not on the Ipod. Confirming our suspicions that it wasn't truly his. Also asked them what brand of portable CD player it was. He said to my surprise, "it should be SONY." Should be! What is that supposed to mean? Unless it decided to change brand names on me again it's a SONY? What the heck...:confused::confused::confused:. The youngest boy, who was also the shortest, had short black hair, black skin and had a certain look of innocence to his face. However, clearly guilty of the crime he had only moments earlier committed. The older and taller boy had long dirty blond hair to his shoulders, with chubby cheeks that only a grandmother could love!:eek: With a hoodie on he looked as though he were in the gang of boys who flew with E.T. many years ago!

At this point many students had gathered because, either they parked in that lot or because they just wanted to know what was going on. Some thing more interesting than text books and classrooms I guess.....:D The schools security guards had also meandered onto the scene. Bill, one of the guards, had a mustache that looked like a prize to him. With snow white hair and skin that was evident that time and life had taken it's toll on it, he must have been in his late 60's. He was just happy getting to write everyones' information down in his little, but well kept note pad that he kept concealed in his uniform pocket. The other man, who seemed to care just a little less.....isn't important. (less writing also) After several students saying that either their car had been broken into or that they had seen the two kids earlier that night, the officers were led to the upper parking lot where they found, thanks to a tip from another student, a mustang that they had been into. They found the owner, whom it turns out is a pre-seminary major! He joked saying that he hoped they felt good stealing form him! :eek: Anyway, so that officially brought proof that they had stolen the items. His were the cd's. When I had left they still hadn't identified who the ipod and cd player belonged to.

So I walk up to the window of the back seat where the kids were and asked if they were comfortable. Ha, the taller one answered with a whining tone in his voice, "no, she tightened mine to tight." Up till now, I just thought they were just sitting in the back of the car. But they were cuffed too! I replied, "well maybe you'll learn something from this." and proceeded to walk away. Officer Blake was busy getting the students information and accounts of what they had seen. There were reports of them all over the campus that day. There was even one account from two young woman that when they were getting out of class, the two boys were hitting on the young woman! After all the information had been given, the officer told me that Juvenile Court would take care of it and that if it was taken to court, doubt able, they would call me in as a witness to testify. I said my good byes and thank you's and was on my way.
All in all, it was both an interesting and exciting night. I ran into some old friends that I hadn't seen in a few years and got to help out my fellow college community. I am writing this story to illustrate that just because they, children, are young, it doesn't mean that they are harmless. This isn't to state that all kids are little thief's among us. But instead that you should beware of your surroundings. Lock your car and know what you had in your vehicle or on your person. Keep an eye out around you when your out and most importantly, do your part as a citizen of the USA!:usa::usa::usa:

Hope you've....enjoyed this at least a little bit. Thanks in advance even if none is given.
:feedback::thumbsup::thumbdwn:

Andrew T.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
This is probably nothing new -- just like the pickpockets of the middle ages. Although there will always be some who are a little more 'evil' than others, desperate times call for desperate measures.

My Civic came with an aftermarket head unit -- which was stolen when I parked it overnight at my friend's apartment complex. I didn't really care about it too much cauz I'm pretty sure that person needed the cash more than I needed that head unit. Now my Civic is that much lighter, which of course increases my MPG, and saves me money :)

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT
So what do you think the court will do with them now since they are minors?

For each thing they stole, its 1 count of felony. They will also be charged with many counts of breaking and entering. I don't know what will happen to them. But I hope they learn their lesson now and don't proceed to bigger thing. The mind doesn't crumble in a day, they must desensitize themselves to the things that are wrong and they then proceed to think even worse things are "ok". They're wrong!:eek:

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT
I really really doubt that. Are you sure?

For minors, no I'm not. I had a friend who did the same thing. Him and one of his buddies, just because they were bored, went out and stole GPS systems, ipods and anything they could easily grab. They stole 19 items and had 19 counts of felon. He's currently serving time for that.

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
hopefully they dont get a felony..

what you should have done is beat their asses, taken the goods and sent them home. then turned the goods into the police. :D its too bad old fashioned ass whoopins arent allowed anymore

Stang Girl

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bastrop, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Cobra R Clone
For minors, no I'm not. I had a friend who did the same thing. Him and one of his buddies, just because they were bored, went out and stole GPS systems, ipods and anything they could easily grab. They stole 19 items and had 19 counts of felon. He's currently serving time for that.

In Texas, it depends on the amount of the item. The items themselves would be considered a Class B misdemeanor theft due to the cost amount of each of the items. They could also get charged with Burglary of a Vehicle which is a felony. More than likely, they will get placed on juvenile probation along with fines and fees to pay with the supervision aspects of probation.

I see a lot worse every day in my job. Sex offenders, murderers, and your basic criminals as well as being themselves being parents at the young ages of 10 to the age of 19 (where my agency's age of jurisdiction ends). My personal opinion from what I see as a former juvenile parole officer as well as my present position is blame most parents (they are either in prison, on drugs, and think that the grandparents should raise their children) or society in general (let the kids pass on to the next grade or give them whatever they want because you may hurt their little egos). Please, we are raising the youth of America with no sense of responsibility or consequences to their actions.

I have actually been told I am too strict with my son...thank goodness. Never been in trouble with the law and the one time he got in trouble at school (he tore up Monopoly money trying to be "bad" because he was told he would never be that way) he got the lecture from Parole Officer Mom about the criminality (vandalism), yelled at by Dad, lecture by step-dad SVO, and had to write an apology letter to the school and use his own birthday money to buy the school a new Monopoly game. The school actually tried to get me to take the Monopoly game back that the letter was enough. Well, it wasn't for me and SVO. I am proud to say that my son has chores and expectation and when he doesn't hold up to them, he gets in trouble. He understands that there are consequences to his actions and he does NOT get a free ride.

Sorry, jumped on my soapbox there but now you know my views on today's youth. :p:

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
Good work Andrew, we need more people like you out there. I always stop when I see someone needing help or a dog wearing a collar running down the road. I don't stop on the freeway as I don't trust people on the side of the road and don't want to take that risk.

Sadly enough, these kid's parents either won't care or won't believe their kid did what they were wrongly accused of. I saw this a lot growing up and used to be friends with kids like this. I honestly have never stolen when I knew my peers would go out at night and do just this behavior.

These kids will either 1) learn and shape up 2) become losers for life.

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT
Stang girl, thanks for being a parent who cares enough about the future of your kid and not just about the here and now. I hate it when I see kids driving around in cars that they obviously didn't buy(porsche's and H1's) or that have stuff they couldn't afford.

davesexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F350 7.3
Not suprising, around here they would get a slap on the wrist..

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT
That's messed up. A slap on the wrist and that's all.

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
I'm not a parent but I don't understand how it seems most parents seem to think they know their kids well enough to know that "they're perfect little angels". I mean all you have to do is think back to when you were a kid and think if your parents knew you as well as they thought they did. I just don't get the ignorance of a lot of parents. Or maybe it's they just don't want to be confronted with the truth. Anyway my parents were always the opposite of that. If there was the possibility I did something wrong it was always I was guilty until proven innocent if another adult said I did something.

RFR2212

Typing Police
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In the mug by Chitown
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 JEEP Wrangler
Kids will be kids and as long as they're charged as juvi's will get off. Thats why dealers use them to move their weight cause they can't get charged as bad, if at all for their age. Parents want to always believe their kids are angels.... when in reality they're a drag on society and wasting my good air. :eek:

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Glad you caught them. Hopefully it will be a wake up call for them and their families and they will knock this crap off...

I hung out with a tough crowd in HS. I was never a thief and I was never with my friends when they stole, but I knew they did. They used to steal from unlocked cars and justified it by saying the owner should have locked their doors:rolleyes:

Of all my friends from HS, the two who were thieves have done the worst for themselves. Both of them at 40+ years of age STILL live at home with their parents and have never moved out:(