Derrick C.

Moderator Drinkin Corona
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls, Idaho---------B.F.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 92 XL
Alright I'm getting ready to ship my 44 to the shop to be built. I'll give you a list of what I'm doing and there price to do it. You tell me if its a reseasonable price.

1. 4.88 gears
2. Detroit Locker
3. Chromoly/Alloy shafts
4. CTM joints
5. Calipers
6. Rotors
7. All seals and bearings(new)
$2500 including labor

Is that a good price?? It seemed good at first but the more I look at it it seems kinda high. Any info I'll listen to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you plan on running larger tires in the future? That just doesn't seem worth it.

That seems a little high. What about steering? Are you going to put hi-steer arms on it? If I were you I think I would buy a dana 60 and put a detroit and gears in it and be done. Since you really dont have any money in the 44 yet that is what I would do. The alloy shafts and CTM's will be almost the cost of a 60 then all you would have to do is freshen the seals and brake pads while your doing the gears.

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Is that a good price?? It seemed good at first but the more I look at it it seems kinda high. Any info I'll listen to.

That's not too bad of a price. Using retail prices you're a little over 2k in parts, so you're looking at 450 or so in labor and parts markup (finder's fee).
I don't know that I'd call it the ultimate dana44 however. Replace those crappy ball joints with some crane kingpin knuckles, and then you're looking a little better ;)

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136610

as long as you dont use the stock outer's, id say you're good to go. my 351W uses stock outers kinda like a "fuseable link". ;)

Well the 44 is out of a 79' F-150 and I'm leaving it full width and I'm looking for a 9" to match it. I plan on running at least 38"-40" tires for the rocks and 44s for the snow. Thats why I choose to beef it out and I'll do the same with the 9" rear. As for going with a 60, I would but this 44 was free and as far as I've seen no one is giving away 60s any where so I'm going with what I have.

I'll have to say that I beleive that there is no such thing as overbuilt. Just means one less thing you have to worry about.

Derrick, lets chat! I just built a killer Dana 44 for my Father-In-Law's Bronco. I'll PM you my phone # just incase you lost it.

Are you still running a 4.0? Correct me if I'm wrong but 4.88's are kinda high if your planning on running 40-44" tires and would 1/2 ton axles handle those(38-40 tires on the rocks) considering the weight of an explorer?

Other than that, you got a decent price for the parts and install. I'll be doing the same set-up D44 and 9". Both shortened w/ 5.13's and detroit.

Those tires are way too big for a d44. I would run 38's max on a d44 with ChroMo shafts and CTM's. Anything bigger you need a 60.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will be losing ball joint assemblies with anything larger than a 37 on that setup.

I have 38s on what's left of mine with a 4.0L, C5, 4.3 Atlas and 5.13s in the diffs and it STILL isn't really low enough or pushing enough power to suit my needs. I'm probably a lot lighter than your rig too.

Here is how I see it.

Spend more money now and get what you will end up going to (D60s)...

OR

Spend less money now and keep spending more money as you consistantly break major things (knuckles, hubs, R&P, etc.)...

Rear D60s are cheap. I bought a full-floater for $50. Fronts are more expensive, but you could easily find one for no more than $1000.

Just trying to help you out here so down the road you aren't here asking why we didn't try to stop you from wasting your money. :cool:

Yes, yes, yes, the whole those axles won't take it stuff. I expected this from you guys.:) Yes 4.88 are a little high for 38-40s in the rocks and 44s for the snow. Thats why they came out with an Atlas t-case and Klune-Vs. If that set-up still isn't low enough for me its not that hard to re-gear.

Now to this axle to tire size stuff. I know you guys know your stuff and I apreciate your info but I have alot of friends running some wierd combos. Example: My buddy Jeff has an 85' Yota with Detroits, 5.13 gears, Rock Ram steering, and dual t-cases with 39.5" Swamps for the rocks and 44s for the snow. All on stock axles. And remember his front is a closed knuckle axle so you'd think he'd be going through birfields alot huh? I've known him for close to 4 years and I've seen him blow maybe 3 of them. Hes done Moab and The Rubicon and his stuff survives. Why?? I don't know. Maybe its driving style or hes just damn lucky. I don't know. But do you see where I'm coming from here? They all said my dana 35 wouldn't handle 36s. Yeah I've broken a few things but thats wheelin right?
(Disclaimer)
I'm not being an a$$ here. I'm just spilling my thoughts.

Our advice is just that, advice. Take it for what it's worth. But you've been warned... ;)

Yes I know.:) And in some time you can PM me and tell me "I told you so!"

Originally posted by Derrick C.
I'm not being an a$$ here. I'm just spilling my thoughts.

I'm not either, but you will be wasting your money on that 44 if you plan on running 38s and larger all the time.

I would say 38's will be OK with the CTM's and Warns...if you're light on the throttle. But definitely run a 12.5" not a 14.5" tire as the balljoints will not hold up. I'm just got about 3000 mi to my last set of Moog balljoints with 37's. And 44's? Why, the 38's will do fine in the snow.

Cheers
Dale

Well the real reason for 44s in the snow is the cool factor.:) Plus you can't get better floatation then anything smaller then a 44 either. Your talkin one wide foot print there!

I know I might be going through things running a large tire but you guys just don't see where I'm coming from. I've got a few buddies with 78-79 F-150s running anything from 36x14.50 tires to 44x21 tires. They had probs before but since going with alloy shafts and CTMs breakage is down ALOT. We all take extreme care of our vehicles so everything is re-tourqed and greased all the time.

Besides if the 44 isn't up to what I want to do with everything in it I can sell it and finally afford a real dana 60. But just remember I want to be the first with 2 1/2 ton axles under there Explorer.:p

Whille your adding things to your wish list check this out...

The D-44 Super Knuckle

Attachments

• superknuckle.jpeg
    superknuckle.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 498

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those knuckles are sweet! Looks beefier than the tera60R!

Back