• Register Today It's free!

the X is acting really funny.

catdaddy614

Reaction score
City, State
columbus, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
So after I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and ignition coil, it is acting weird. When Im stopped and I press the gas it shakes a little then I give it a little gas and it is fine. Then when im driving at normal speed and I give it a little gas it starts to shake again. It didnt do this until I replaced the plugs and wires. I got autolite platnium plugs, and motorcraft wires. Plugs were gapped at .54 Now... When I took the old plugs out, they were autolite double platinum, would that make a difference from me going from double platiums to just autolite platniums? HELP please, I need it to run right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you unhook the battery for 15 minutes? This resets the computer to adapt to new parts. My X did the same thing and after I unhook the battery it doesnt do it at all anymore.

hmmm... thats new to me, i'll have to try that.

that should work and if it doesnt you may not have put a plug in right or it is just loose or the plug wires are not on all the way.

so the same thing happened to you, and all you had to do was disconnect the battery and it worked?

yup, after i put in the new plugs it still was pulsing but not half as bad. I just unhooked the battery for 15 minutes and it doesnt pulse anymore.

so i did what u said and disconnected it for 15 mins, it still does the same thing, I checked the wires and they are all on there right and on the coil. I think maybe something with the plugs?

are they torqued right? Did you spray compressed air in the cylinders when you were changing them?

what does compressed air have to do with anything? i've never heard of that.

I'd make sure all the spark plugs are snug first. Then I'd check the cables, one might be loose or touching part of the engine that gets hot and it'd ground itself out. My Dad's 98 Explorer had this problem until we figured it out, and it did the same thing you mentioned.

Good Luck

i'll have to take each plug out and inspect it, I changed everything out, im almost positive it has to do something with the plugs.

I wouldn't think the "type" is bad, however I have had bad plugs out of the box-it does happen. Try a new set and see-
If it really bothers you, get the Double platinums for sleep ease-

I'd make sure all the spark plugs are snug first. Then I'd check the cables, one might be loose or touching part of the engine that gets hot and it'd ground itself out. My Dad's 98 Explorer had this problem until we figured it out, and it did the same thing you mentioned.

Good Luck

Yeah-
try this at night when it is dark
Run the engine in park-while looking under the hood rev the engine a bit-
look all around the wires, along the full length, for little blue arcing flashes ( sparks)-it will usually be accompanied by a ticking noise

Good Luck

I assume he was meaning to spray compressed air around the old plugs before he took them out so that nothing falls down into the cylinder once he pulls the old ones out.

Still got the old wires? To see if one of the new wires is bad, try swapping them one at a time. To make it easier, use the longest old wire, and when you swap out each one, don't bother with the routing, just unplug both ends, but leave the wire in there. Take the temp replacement, plug in both ends, and just drape it in place (obviously avoiding hot/moving parts).

You'll be able to try out each wire in no time.

so i think i may have had a bad plug or something, i changed them out with double plats and i have no problem. i think there was just a bad plug

Back