• Register Today It's free!

Theft Light flashing

bluexplorer99

Reaction score
City, State
Madisonville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT AWD
I bought a '99 Explorer XLT that was wrecked and had no key. I got a ignition switch from another '99 Explorer and put it in. Then I had a locksmith come out and program the PATS system for the key that came with the ignition switch. He also programmed the keyless remote that came with the key. It stared fine many times after programed until I started doing some work on the Explorer. I unhooked the battery before I began the work. While drilling the spot welds out under the passenger side front door, I knicked a couple of the wires in the harness that goes down the passenger side. Well I taped them up and welded the new rocker panel in. After I was done with that I hooked the battery back up and now the Exploerer will crank but not start. The theft light flashes while trying to crank it. While I have to have the key reprogrammed? I checked everything and can't figure out what is going on. This is my first Explorer and don't know much about the PATS system. Can anyone please help me???? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is the theft light rapidly blinking? if so it sounds like what happened to mine a few months back, had to take it to the stealership and pay around $500 for new parts (receiver antenna, PATS module, GEM module), sucks but had no choice, it's my dd.

The theft light will also flash at a very rapid rate if the battery is VERRY low on juice.

The light is flashing like it should if the module is triped so it can't be started.
I called the locksmith that programmed the key for me and I told him what happened. He said that it might have sent a surge to the RAP and that i could try putting a strong (fully Charged) battery on it and leaving the key in the ignition for about 30 minutes. He said that sometimes it will start to work. I am going to try that this evening when I get home.

Calisoundmix...did you your remote and keypad still work when you had your problems?

yes, my remote and keypad still opened it no problem, it was only when i tried cranking it that it wouldn't start. tried everything, checked for a spark being sent, fuel pump. when i finally had AAA tow it to the dealer i had to wait 30 minutes as the driver tried to jump start it, to no avail.

sucks that this is happening to you too, i tripped mine while doing electrical work on my car.

That is odd, losing power shouldn't cause trouble. If the theft light flashes when the ignition is turned on, the engine will not and cannot start. The flashing means that the PATS module has disabled the ignition, plus fuel pump.

If the theft light flashes when the ignition is turned on, don't go to the start position, it is a waste of time. Simply turn the ignition off and/or try it again. I had an intermittent problem long ago, but it hasn't happened in two years. I would ask a Ford tech, but do not pay "...$500 for new parts (receiver antenna, PATS module, GEM module)..." It definitely does not need all of that.

believe me i wish it did not need all that, but i tried everything i could think of, disconnected battery overnight, cycled ignition over 256 times, switched to a new battery (also disconnected overnight).

if it is intermittent, be happy and enjoy, but for a car that is my dd i couldn't afford to wait a few days and simply hope that it would resolve itself. yes the dealership was a shady POS but even at 150k + miles, i love my ex and will be running it into the ground (albeit no time soon)

well I put the new battery off of my pickup and done what the locksmith told me to do and now it starts everytime. But I am going to get all the parts off of the other '99 explorer that i got the ignition off of and keep for spare parts. What all do i need to take? I got the computer and the ignition module(little black box that goes around the ignition switch). I know I will need to get the RAP box (white box) out of the back driver quarter. Is there anything else I need to get? What about the relay box that is next to the RAP box? I mean these parts are not costing me anything so I am going to get anything I can that i might need later. LOL. Thanks.

Yes get anything that you can. The ignition key code sensor is likely what was my problem. I had the issue the most when I was delivering mail with the truck, that was no fun. I rarely shut it off, I swapped the fuel pump early on before learning of the theft light flashing.

The PCM and PATS module are the components programmed to the keys. Any change of those requires new programming by the special diagnostic tool. Be careful with the parts at the ignition, that's likely the most sensitive part of the PATS system. Regards,

The PATS system comprises the Anti-Theft Transceiver Module, the PATS module itself, the PCM, and the two PATS keys that came with the car.

The transceiver is located in the steering column. The PATS module appears to be (according to AllData) located somewhere behind the passenger airbag, on the right side.

The PCM is mounted to the firewall. You'll see a big wire harness going into the top of the firewall, removal is straightforward.

Back