• Register Today It's free!

"Them Brakes!"

hippyheart

Reaction score
City, State
West Plains, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
Hello everyone! Use to be here many moons ago and here I am again asking questions I can't figure out. For you Brake Gurus... I just put on a new rotor, brake pads and caliper to the front driver's side wheel. No problems. I followed procedure in bleeding the brake lines starting the engine, putting in drive mode, pumping up the brakes, holding the pedal down and have the rear brake lines cracked to release any air in the lines. At 1st, you could feel the pressure released. I still don't have much brakes. The pedal stills goes to the floor almost. I have done the brake line release at least 20 times. What am I doing wrong? The brake fluid squirts out as if no air but my brake pedal still seems to soft pushing it. Please help! Thanks!

What's the status on the rest of the brake system?

With my last rear brake job, I replaced the wheel cylinders, just because I knew they had a lot of miles on them. That made a difference in how firm the pedal was.

Speaking of rear brakes, how are they? Are they adjusting correctly? I know the first rear brake job I did, those adjusters were so seized up they weren't doing anything. If the rear brakes aren't in good condition, that can make the pedal feel soft.

Have you checked the brake hoses? Some have reported having the rubber go bad and actually swell under pressure rather than transmit the pressure to the brakes.

Bleeding brakes is a two person job, with no engine required. Pump the pedal a couple of times, and hold that pressure while someone opens a bleed screw. Don't let off of the pedal until the other person snugs the bleed screw closed again. Good luck,

Back