theory on achieving (second gear) with 5r55e swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

theory on achieving (second gear) with 5r55e swap

PhantomFord

Reaction score
City, State
Petaluma, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer Limited
quoting this first explanation from greasemanicure "With the 4r transmission When the transmission control wants 1st gear it operates only shift solenoid 1. In the 5R, this will select 1st gear. So far so good. When the transmission control wants 2nd gear, it operates shift solenoids 1 and 2. In the 5R, this will select 3rd gear. WHOA! But 3rd gear in a 5R has the SAME gear ratio as 2nd gear in a 4R. OK. When the transmission control wants 3rd gear it will operate no shift solenoid. In the 5R, this will select 4th gear which has the same gear ratio as 3rd gear in the 4R. Still OK. When the transmission controller wants OD, it operates shift solenoid 3. In the 5R, this selects 5th gear/OD, with the same gear ratio as the 4R expects."

so basically the 5r has the same gearing as the 4r except a gear between first and second which moves the ratios from the 4r to the 5r up one gear.
i have the 5r swapped in my explorer being controlled by the 4r pcm so it doesnt know it can activate both the solenoids to achieve an inbetween first and 3rd it thinks its a regular 4r. i was thinking i could manually wire up a switch to active the second solenoid frl the first to grab that second gear apon flipping the switch. basically my theory is if the switch was wired up to get its power from the first solenoid one manually had it in first gear while accelerating hard you could flip the switch then applying the (second gear) and when you were ready to shift again manually shift to D again and the second solenoid would be off as soon as it shifted anyway since its getting its supply power from the first solenoid. this would make for a slight improvement in 0-60 if one was in to bettering there ohv's performance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gear ratios

According to the ATSG manual:
4R44E/4R55E: 1st 2.474:1, 2nd 1.474:1, 3rd 1.00:1, 4th 0.75:1
5R55E: 1st 2.47:1, 2nd 1.86:1, 3rd 1.47:1, 4th 1.00:1, 5th 0.75:1

On the 5R55E 2nd speed is achieved by engaging 1st and 5th gear (2.474*0.75=1.8555) simultaneously.

Your correct, I was too lazy to look in my manuals, the post is wrong.

According to the ATSG manual:
4R44E/4R55E: 1st 2.474:1, 2nd 1.474:1, 3rd 1.00:1, 4th 0.75:1
5R55E: 1st 2.47:1, 2nd 1.86:1, 3rd 1.47:1, 4th 1.00:1, 5th 0.75:1

On the 5R55E 2nd speed is achieved by engaging 1st and 5th gear (2.474*0.75=1.8555) simultaneously.

oh. well do you believe that this would still work if you used the switch to apply the 5th gear solenoid simultaneously with the first gear?

Here is what I see. You can cause 2nd gear to happen but the computer will see it as an incorrect ratio and will flash the OD light. The bigger problem that I see is the computer will try to shift to 3rd gear at the same time, this could be very bad. There are people on this forum that have worked on things like this and probably know a lot more about it than I do, perhaps they will chime in.

Here is what I see. You can cause 2nd gear to happen but the computer will see it as an incorrect ratio and will flash the OD light. The bigger problem that I see is the computer will try to shift to 3rd gear at the same time, this could be very bad. There are people on this forum that have worked on things like this and probably know a lot more about it than I do, perhaps they will chime in.
ohh cool thanks for bringing that to the light, im unaware i figured a simple solution would have been thought of already if it would work.

Cool beans. So in theory, a bank of 5 toggles will shift the gears. A sixth will lock torque converter in. Would make it work along the lines of a torque flight or cruise-o-matic.

It's more complicated than that. Look at the ATSG manual at the things that have to be applied for each gear.

Back