Thermostat housing leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat housing leak

efiles123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I have a 1999 explorer 4.0l that has been loosing coolant. I recently noticed a small leak around the thermostat housing as shown in the pic. My question is should I try replacing oring or just replace the entire kit? The current thermostat is the second replacement.

2983AA21-7B54-49D2-9BF1-63FC9DAD56E4.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the pics, my vote is at minimum another $20 Plastic Kit from Amazon = 1 & Done

The SOHC diehards will advise you to upgrade to the Aluminum Kit for $40 more ($60 TOTAL), and that's fine by me as well if you have the $ for it.

Depends on how much enjoyment you get out of fussing with these. I'm on my third one...and, next one (if there is a next one) will be the aluminum housing. My biggest pet peeve (beside the horse-s**t design of these plastic housings) performing this job is having to remove the alternator, alternator mtg brkt, and belt tensioner to access and loosen the crank position sensor harness that is draped snugly over the middle of the t-stat housing preventing it from being lifted upwards during removal.

Thanks for the responses guys. I’ll have to go with replacing the entire housing. Gonna see what the local parts store has in stock.

Just sayin' - the local parts store will more than likely be twice the price (of Amazon) on Plastic.

Keep in mind, at that point, you will be only $20 away from online ordering Aluminum, which seems to be the overall best solution.

My aluminum one is mint put it on and never messed with it yet

^^^^^ Some good info there!

Ok I think you guys have me sold on an aluminum one. Is there a specific brand you recommend? Just went on eBay to find several and have no idea what to get or stay away from.

Aluminum. Simmons.

No more problems (with that….)

Good luck.

Simmons SimmonsAutosportz
Or

the one on eBay is for 01-11 and I have a 1999 which says not compatible in the ad. Also tried Amazon and google without any luck. Has anyone had good luck with Osias or other aluminum rands on eBay. Says they offer 2 year warranty.

It fits my 99
You can reuse your plastic outlet .....top piece..... I did not

The Simmons one
You can call them
1630320106636.png

Here is it on my 99

Back