Thermostat housing leaking | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat housing leaking

In order for the ECT sensor and gauge sender to function properly, they must sit flush on the housing.
Can you remove the brass threaded insert from the old sensor to compare threads? What part numbers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked at the factory one and the sensor is a little higher. I got everything installed, now I having issues with the coolant. The radiator is filled up with coolant and when the car is running a lot of the coolant is pouring out?? I know there will be some air but the coolant is rushing out? Why wont the coolant stay in the radiator? What is causing this to happen? Any ideas?

You have AIR in the cooling system because of your repair. Search "coolant flush", there are MANY posts.

Isn't the air eventually purged in closed systems? Are there bleed nipples anywhere?

No there are no bleeder nipples. I finally got the air out and no more coolant pouring out and no more leaks.

Now I notice the coolant temp gauge is not working. I did replace both sensors on the housing. Which coolant sensor is for the gauge? Is it the red connector?

These are the sensors I bought from Oreillys. The gauge did work before. The gauge needle sits past cool. When I turn on the key the gauge needle slightly moves but not much.

BWD part# WT5053 for the temp sensor

BWD part# WT724 Sender for the gauge

Could it be that using teflon paste caused the sensor not to have a good ground?

Back