• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat housing leaking

digifoss

Reaction score
City, State
Grants, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT
Actually almost blowing coolant out when hot. Started losing coolant after dark about 70 miles from home. With a flashlight looks like leak on housing below where upper hose connects. Son is bringing enough distilled water out to limp home. What am I looking at for good repair ? Housing looks plastic is that for real ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the explorer home last night, or rather about 5am this morning. Fill the radiator, then drive 15 miles or so until the temperature would start to climb, then stop, cool it off again, refill and go another 15 miles or so until we got home. Looking at the housing, is the thermostat inside under the upper radiator hose connector ? Is that a sealed unit where the whole housing needs to be replaced rather than installing a new gasket ?....Ill check in later today to see what others that have experience with this recommend....If the housing is original and I have 100k miles now, can I expect about the same with a new housing ? plastic ??? wow

year and description in my signature. Currently sitting at 100,000 miles, hoses and housing appear to be original.

Digfioss Yes it's plastic. Search 2007 ford explorer metal thermostat housing

So, I need to get it going today, probably have to get one from NAPA. So does a new housing come with a thermostat inside - ready to install ?

I believe they do not come with a thermostat. You could purchase the thermostat and return if not used. I would put a new one in anyway

NAPA replacement appears to be made by Dorman which has an extremely high failure rate on this and other forums. For that matter all the plastic housings including OE replacements are not known for long term reliability. Search the forum. Install the Austekk or Simmons aluminum replacement and be done with it. JMO

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

I bought a cheap Chinese one on Amazon for my 3rd gen. Worked perfectly, except for the coolant temp sensor. I wound up putting my old one back in. I think it was $28 shipped. You're only going to have it fail again in a few years, unless you get an aluminum one.

Well, I may regret it but I got this NAPA one, part # S0682AT. "Includes thermostat, seal, sensor and housing"
And it's a lifetime warranty not that its important or anything. I needed to get up an running right away.. May order an all metal one later
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MRDS0682AT

Back