• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat housing

xjsport95

Reaction score
City, State
Blossburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Eddie Bauer
OK so 6/17 my thermostat housing split, replaced it that day... today on my way home it split again, luckily it was under warranty so I didn't have to pay for a second one at 94$ my question: Is this part common the fail? seriously 2 within a month? and is there a metal replacement available instead of friggen plastic? Ive searched around a bit but not finding anything, all I can find is some mustang people chatting about making one...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will have a metal thermostat housing available in a week , it has taken me a year to get the part manufactured and tested. I have a 2008 mustang with the v6 4.0 engine, just like yours and this part makes my car more reliable, my plastic one leaked before 60k mileage. You can find my part on ebay in a week or you can go through paypal. My ebay id is "iwantit33" and I have a 100% feedback with over 10 of transactions.My email address is" fdxmechanic@yahoo.com" on paypal and my business email is "simmonsautosportz@yahoo.com". My part is made in America using american aluminum, not a chinese knockoff. Email me for more information. ****spread the word, the permanent fix is here**** My part is $149 for the lower housing assembly, The top housing is $39.95. Free shipping in the continental US for the first 50 orders.

All thermostat housings for this model is plastic. The most common reason for the housings to split/crack is due to over tightening the mounting bolts on the assembly.

The plastic lower thermostat housings are notorious for splitting sonically welded seams or threaded sensors.
Doubt they leak due to over tightening because of the high failure rate of the original factory installed part.
Very easy to do though, factory torque spec is only 89 inch pounds (8 ft/lbs) for three small 8mm hex bolts.

http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/

Dorman Part No. 902-860 is available at Amazon for $47.87 & FREE Shipping.

Re-engineered to address common failure points in the original equipment, Dorman’s Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing has improved durability and resistance. It withstands the extreme changes in temperature that frequently cause housing to become brittle, crack and leak. This is more than a replacement; it’s an upgrade. Maintain the steady flow of coolant and lessen the chances of overheating.

Product Features:

* Direct replacement for a proper fit every time
* Hoses slide on for easy installation
* High-quality plastic or metal construction
* Includes all hardware necessary for a complete repair (where applicable)

I used one of their replacement intake manifolds for my '99 Grand Marquis, and it worked as advertised for only $200.00. Better than OEM for a fraction of the cost!

I have the metal thermostat housing available, only the lower one so far,but thats the piece that fails anyway. You have to convert to the clip in style temp. sensors if you have the older style explorer, the new one sensor type can use the single metal housing I have. Ill be posting the dual sensor lower housing on ebay. I will also add the single lower housing by itself for the new 4.0 engines. I only have about 25 dual sensor lower housings available, get them while they last. The lower housings will come with orings, including the funny looking seal that goes on the bottom of the lower housing. Yes your plastic top housing will work with my metal lower housing and when I get the metal upper housing done all you have to do is remove your plastic upper housing and replace it with the new metal one.

got a link for the lower metal housing you're selling?

The lower t'stat housing on my 06 was leaking badly. Three weeks ago I put on one of "thermohousing"s cast aluminum (lower) housings to replace the leaking plastic one. Jon's kit comes with everything you need including instructions (the odd o-ring is for the temp sensor). Has not leaked a drop since. I HIGHLY recommend this product!

The lower t'stat housing on my 06 was leaking badly. Three weeks ago I put on one of "thermohousing"s cast aluminum (lower) housings to replace the leaking plastic one. Jon's kit comes with everything you need including instructions (the odd o-ring is for the temp sensor). Has not leaked a drop since. I HIGHLY recommend this product!

how much for one may I ask?

Metal upper housing ready very very soon

prototypes are made for the explorer and ranger v6 4.0 engines and at the machine shop. Here are 2 pics for everyone to see. Soon very soon !
Hamilton 2-20140415-01673.jpg

Hamilton 2-20140415-01674.jpg

price range?

Just received the prototypes today, I am going to test them next week and hopefully approving them for the remaining order. The price will be the same as the mustang housing of $179, but if someone sets up a group by I will sell them at $149 for the group buy.

Back