Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Callsign
N0FJC
I was under the impression that our t-stat was a 180 degree one. The guy at autozone sold me a 195 and said it was the OEM rating. So, which one of us is wrong?

Thanks

Steven

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Autozone 1
Ntrpriz 0

195 is the stock t-stat rating

sorry bout that Steven

Heh. Some say you should put in a 180 if you live in hot climates. I do and have a 180 degree in and it works great. Plus I have a Jet Chip in mine and is supposed to be programed for a 180 degree.. hmmm..

Nick

I had a 180* T-stat and I think it hurt my gas milage. The computer is set up for the engine to run optimized at 195*. I just put a 195* back in mine and so far it has added 75 more miles per tank! I used to get like 350 per tank w/out A/C and with driving soft and now I get 425 WITH A/C! In my point of view if you live in hot climates the truck has a strong enough cooling system to handle that as long as you keep it flushed. If the truck were supposed to have a 180* then they would put one in at the factory. I doesn't cost them any different to put a 180 or a 195 in, but it's setup for a 195. Just my .02 and this is only what I have HEARD. I am not an expert and maybe it's a coincidence my milage went up so much.

I install a mr gasket highflow 180 and the truck runs great
and the gas milage has been better. My stock thermostat was
at the (a) in normal on the gage that alittle to warm for
me.

One thing I noticed while running a 180 degree stat was the temperature gauge would fluctuate while driving in hilly conditions. As I climb the hill the temp would go up and as I descended it would go down, after changing to the 195 stat the temp now remains constant throughout driving conditions.

Whatever works,
FM

Im guessing the reason for the guage doing that would be that your thermostat was able to keep the temp around 180 degrees when your engine wasnt straining.. but when you went uphill... the temp rose to 195 or so.. just a thought.

flyguy,
I think that was the case but after the 195 stat went in the temp would get to 195 and stay. I believe this makes it easier on the engine and components when it doesn't have to change the settings all the time, (i.e.. sensors, PCM and other electronic sensing devices).

FM

Prolly so. However.. where I live.. its hot! hehe. My dial stays the same for the most part. Im just trying to figure out why I get such bad milage. Oh speaking of thermostats.. my mechanic put in a 95 degree thermostat in mine... I was only getting 10 miles to the gallon before.. now im up to almost 13 with the 180 degree in.

Nick

flyguy,
I see you made some mods to the truck including a jet chip, how's the engine?, as far as the intake, cylinders? Have you done a compression check lately? The poor mileage may be caused by the chip, I've heard.

FM

Back