Thermostat replaced, but no heat inside. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat replaced, but no heat inside.

mennitti

Reaction score
City, State
Punxsutawney, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
My temp guage was stuck on cold, and the engine idled high. So I replaced the thermostat and coolant. It idles normal, and the temp guage now works normal.

But, I have no heat coming out of the vents. Temp knob is all the way right. Vent setting is on the right side for dash and floor. Hood is closed. Does this mean the heater core is bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not necessarily, it could be block. I'd check the heat valves on the right side of the engine bay, see if their turn open all the way. Did you have heat before this? Did you test the new thermostat before installing? Could be a number of little simple things. You can disconnect both lines to the heater core and run a hose thru it to flush it out, see if it's clogged.

It could also be the temp control switch, these go often in Ex's.

Thanks.
It appears to be just air in the lines. I've been adding fluid to the radiator and slowly the heat has been returning. It isn't hot air yet, but it is warm. I'll take the cap off tomorrow morning and check again.

Thanks for the input! Hopefully it is just this simple.

Glad to hear.

just bleed it with a no spill funnel easy way to get all the air out

Back