• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Thermostat replaced, but no heat inside.

mennitti

Reaction score
City, State
Punxsutawney, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
My temp guage was stuck on cold, and the engine idled high. So I replaced the thermostat and coolant. It idles normal, and the temp guage now works normal.

But, I have no heat coming out of the vents. Temp knob is all the way right. Vent setting is on the right side for dash and floor. Hood is closed. Does this mean the heater core is bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MidnightRebel07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Not necessarily, it could be block. I'd check the heat valves on the right side of the engine bay, see if their turn open all the way. Did you have heat before this? Did you test the new thermostat before installing? Could be a number of little simple things. You can disconnect both lines to the heater core and run a hose thru it to flush it out, see if it's clogged.

MidnightRebel07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
It could also be the temp control switch, these go often in Ex's.

mennitti

Reaction score
City, State
Punxsutawney, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
Thanks.
It appears to be just air in the lines. I've been adding fluid to the radiator and slowly the heat has been returning. It isn't hot air yet, but it is warm. I'll take the cap off tomorrow morning and check again.

Thanks for the input! Hopefully it is just this simple.

MidnightRebel07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Glad to hear.

dinks07

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Va