Thermostat stuck in 94 4.0 v6 explorer sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostat stuck in 94 4.0 v6 explorer sport

explorer82184

Reaction score
City, State
plano,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
i found out today that the thermostat in my explorer is sticking so that everytime i drive it, my engine overheats within 10 minutes. just wondering if anyone can tell me away to fix this or will i have to replace the part completey?

any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll need to replace it. You can do it yourself. Do a search on it and you will find instructions on how to do the job.

k i did a search and found out how to replace it but where exactly is the thermostat? im not very good with cars

It';s where the radiator hose goes into the front of the engine.

You have to take out three bolts two are easy and one sucks:(

I replaced mine in the x. Easy job. Good luck!

The one that sucks is the one that makes this one of the hardest t- stats to replace. Don't underestimate it. It sucks, takes more time than it should, and patience and good tools are the key. It will fix your problem though and shouldn't cost very much.
PS Some think it is fast and easy, well if you are wanting to know where it is expect it to take a little longer than their estimates. They might have done some MAJOR work on their vehicles or just forget that us beginners might not have all the tools or plain experience.
It is a fairly easy job though and well worth doing it yourself.

alright, thanks everyone. gonna look into replacing it today :)

Back