Thermostats for your Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thermostats for your Explorer Sport

EcoPowerParts

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Flex Ecoboost
One of the guys on my forum with a SHO just became aware of this, I want to make sure you guys know this is going on. I am quoting Joel Miller from Reische performance. If you want a Reische t-stat I am a stocking dealer.
I am not entering the debate on t-stats or Livernois vs Reische just that I stock them and I am a Reische dealer and will always have them for you!

Hey guys Joel Miller from Reische here. Let's make one thing absolutely clear, we still remain the only company that currently produces a low temp thermostat that is specifically designed for 3.5L EcoBoost transverse applications. Tomc612: I'm very, very sorry but LMS pulled a fast one on you. That thermostat is made for a hot-side application (not a true direct replacement at all), it will function but not as well as a proper cold-side thermostat. I'm also going to disagree about the use of 160* thermostats for street use. We chose 170* as the best overall compromise for all season use. A 160* may cause problems in cooler weather depending on the tune programming, definitely wouldn't try it stock.

As far as special gaskets, only our Ford-50 unit (F150 EcoBoost) does not use the OEM o-ring but a (Stant 25282 or Gates 33619) comparable gasket which should be available at most auto parts suppliers. Gaskets are included in our thermostat kits so I don't see why this would be an issue anyway.

I believe LMS has made these substitutions based primarily upon profit margin, our thermostats are modified by hand and not cheap. I personally stand behind our products 100% and am willing to offer a lifetime warranty to the members of this forum who have purchased a genuine Reische product. Thank you for your support and any of you are welcome to call us at 661-414-2116 with any questions or concerns.

http://shop.ecoboostpowerparts.com/Thermostat-Transverse-V6-Ecoboost-170-degree-Transverse-Tstat.htm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm confused, I ordered a thermostat from livernois w/ my tuner a couple of weeks ago. What arrived was a Reische Performance hand modified thermostat. Can you explain what the context for this open letter is?

On the tuner ordering page it even has "***For maximum performance and the best drive-ability, Livernois Motorsports highly recommends the use of a Reische 170* thermostat with the purchase of all MyCal tunes.***"

I am getting extremely pissed off at LMS lack of answers to our tuning issues and general selfish money grubbing lack of customer serving bullshit.

As soon as SCT is available, I am stripping all my LMS prats and going elsewhere from now on. I've never had someone try to pull so much BS over my eyes as they have...

my thermostat ordered from LMS also states Reische; so I should be good correct?

Additionally, Lund tuning has stopped responding on this forum as well. It seems both tuners are not up to business/tuning standard.

my thermostat ordered from LMS also states Reische; so I should be good correct?

Additionally, Lund tuning has stopped responding on this forum as well. It seems both tuners are not up to business/tuning standard.

You're good to go with that thermostat.

There is a lot of LMS bashing going on here with no proof shown. Not sure what's going on. But I watch this site everyday and have not seen any complaints of their tune except from one person. Strange.

There is a lot of LMS bashing going on here with no proof shown. Not sure what's going on. But I watch this site everyday and have not seen any complaints of their tune except from one person. Strange.

No bashing, just want answers. PM me if you want to see a datalog with the dropping fuel pressure.

4DRHTRD keep up the good work!

No bashing, just want answers. PM me if you want to see a datalog with the dropping fuel pressure.

4DRHTRD keep up the good work!

The problem is that you do not have the proper equipment to datalog these. Generic data logging equipment cannot be used on an ecoboost as it gives incorrect data. Sorry if you don't believe this but it's true. Sending datalogs that aren't correct won't do anyone any good. These also don't tune like a traditional application, so you can't treat it as such.

I also see in your signature that you have our high boost tune. I know its been covered often on the forum but for winter the cw tune should be used.

As for thermostats go it's simple. We wanted to offer a superior product. We paid a great deal of money to offer this better thermostat. Profit had nothing to do with it.

I will also go on to say that we did not purposely mislead anyone. Should we have notified the customer that we were upgrading his purchase? Yes but we're all human. Someoneade an honest mistake and didn't call. There was no deviance involved.

im a newbie here but what does the thermostat do on these kind of engines anyway?is it beneficial on cold weather with a tune only or any other advantages?how hard would be the install?i'll be starting my upgrades pretty soon when it gets warmer here.

im a newbie here but what does the thermostat do on these kind of engines anyway?is it beneficial on cold weather with a tune only or any other advantages?how hard would be the install?i'll be starting my upgrades pretty soon when it gets warmer here.

We recommend our 160* thermostat for anyone looking for added performance from these cars, especially when tuned. They heat soak quite a bit due to how compacted everything is under the hood, so a cooler thermostat helps the engine stay in it's optimal operating range for a larger percentage of the time.

We recommend our 160* thermostat for anyone looking for added performance from these cars, especially when tuned. They heat soak quite a bit due to how compacted everything is under the hood, so a cooler thermostat helps the engine stay in it's optimal operating range for a larger percentage of the time.

Andy, I dont have any tunes in my current 14 SPORT but I was trying to become better educated on the rational behind the hardware upgrades involved in tuning these EcoBoost engines.

Previously I have tuned GM Yukon Denali 6.2L V8 engines with a simple hand held programmer and had good success.

When the engineers at Ford designed the EcoBoost 3.5L why would they not design in a 160/170 thermostat if it provides better cooling due to such a hot running engine? I do agree this engine holds a lot more heat then the N/A 3.5L, I'm just confused as to why it wouldn't have this design feature as OEM.

Is it emissions out the tailpipe that require OEM thermostat to be higher?

Or is it more to do with the added performance and RPM's of the LMS tuning that requires extra cooling?

Andy, I dont have any tunes in my current 14 SPORT but I was trying to become better educated on the rational behind the hardware upgrades involved in tuning these EcoBoost engines.

Previously I have tuned GM Yukon Denali 6.2L V8 engines with a simple hand held programmer and had good success.

When the engineers at Ford designed the EcoBoost 3.5L why would they not design in a 160/170 thermostat if it provides better cooling due to such a hot running engine? I do agree this engine holds a lot more heat then the N/A 3.5L, I'm just confused as to why it wouldn't have this design feature as OEM.

Or is it more to do with the added performance and RPM's of the LMS tuning that requires extra cooling?

Because an adverse affect is "too much cooling". The boost and power are restricted on stock tune, so 180 degree thermostat is sufficient for cooling. Lower thermostats in lower temperatures may stop the engine from reaching optimal running temperatures (affecting things like heating and defrosting in the cabin, emissions, gas mileage). At 170 degrees you shouldn't really see any negative affects, maybe a longer warm up period for the vehicle, but at 160 I would think you'd be pushing cold coolant, specifically if you're in cold ambient temps. I highly doubt anyone would recommend running the 160 on our vehicles in winter temps.

All testing shows engines makes more power, and more efficiently under hotter temps. Cooler temps are safer, and supposedly increase oil life, etc. With modern oils and fluids it's hard to quantify the advantages. It's a huge debate about whether there is any benefit at all from swapping them out.

You might want to modify your product pages for your tuners.. they still state on all of them "***For maximum performance and the best drive-ability, Livernois Motorsports highly recommends the use of a Reische 170* thermostat with the purchase of all MyCal tunes.***"

When adding a thermostat to the order customers are going to assume they are getting a Reische 170 degree hand modified thermostat.

When designing a car there are numerous factors that go into why something gets used, but every car benefits in power and performance from having a lower temp thermostat than production.

When designing a car there are numerous factors that go into why something gets used, but every car benefits in power and performance from having a lower temp thermostat than production.

This is opposite of every test case I can find about thermostats. All cars benefited in power and performance from hotter thermostats. They benefited from safety and longevity from cooler ones.

Can you show data to back up this claim? A dyno with stock thermostat vs. a dyno with a 160? (same tune, modifications, etc)

This is opposite of every test case I can find about thermostats. All cars benefited in power and performance from hotter thermostats. They benefited from safety and longevity from cooler ones.

Can you show data to back up this claim? A dyno with stock thermostat vs. a dyno with a 160? (same tune, modifications, etc)

Just as a case in point, if that were true, why do they have a 180* from the factory?

Just as a case in point, if that were true, why do they have a 180* from the factory?

Because power and boost are choked from the factory and 180 offers cleaner burning and more efficient gas mileage for the power they designed it to output. I'd like to see evidence that your statement is true "every car benefits in power and performance from having a lower temp thermostat than production".

I believe this to be a false claim. There certainly may be benefits when combined with your tunes, but they aren't power or performance. Dyno the vehicle with stock t-stat, and then swap 160 t-stat and dyno again (no other mods, or changes to programming)... there will be no gain in performance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Because power and boost are choked from the factory and 180 offers cleaner burning and more efficient gas mileage for the power they designed it to output. I'd like to see evidence that your statement is true "every car benefits in power and performance from having a lower temp thermostat than production".

I believe this to be a false claim. There certainly may be benefits when combined with your tunes, but they aren't power or performance. Dyno the vehicle with stock t-stat, and then swap 160 t-stat and dyno again (no other mods, or changes to programming)... there will be no gain in performance.

I am sorry you feel that way, if you would like, I will be more than happy to send you dyno graphs from hundreds of different cars from various makes and models of cars we have done just that type of testing for. Obviously I wouldn't want to flood the forum with the vast amount of data we have on the matter. Or if you would prefer, we could discuss it over the phone as well. Feel free to call the shop and we can discuss at length.

Back