• Register Today It's free!

These brakes are Pissin me off

catfisher81

Reaction score
City, State
London, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Ford Ranger XLT
Ok, I got the new brakes on the rear and on the passenger side i left the ebrake unhooked because the hub would not go on. are these brakes self adjusting or do i need to adjust these brakes cause after i bled them i still had to do some pumping action to get them to stop. and my abs light is on. :roll:

The brakes are self adjusting. You can install them with the auto adjuster all the way in to get the drum on, then just auto adjust them by driving backwards and tapping the brakes.

If there are adjustment issues, check that the shoes are greased properly in the rear, the adjuster is not sticking and has anti-seize on the threads to keep it free, and that the whole assembly is together correctly.

Sometimes the parking brake cables on Explorers will bind or get rusted to the sheath, you'll need new cables if this is the case. Also, the cable return spring in front of the left rear wheel can get really weak over time, and not be strong enough to disengage new brakes. You can get a new return spring from the HELP! section of the parts store, get the thicket, strongest one, and you'll need to bend the long end to match the old spring and have enough tension.

Yes these are supposeed to be self adjusting. But you want to adjust the Shoes out to where they just rub on the Brake Drum. Turning the Star Adjuster all the way in and leaving it that way if the Shoes are too far away from the Drum surface is NG.

Back