these tires should fit on these rims, right? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

these tires should fit on these rims, right?

i have some pirelli scorpion zeroes 285 60 r17's. i used to have them on 17x9 cobra r's (long story.) anyway, im looking to get some new wheels - most likely 17x8, since thats about the widest 17" wheel i can find (with the exception of the occasional 8.5" wide wheel.)

my question is, can i fit 185 60 r17's on 17x8's?

my local wheel place said yes, but ive heard from other people that they wont fit. heres the way i figure: they should fit. right now i have 265 70 r16's on my stock 16x7's. now the 285's are 20mm wider than the 265's. the new rims will be 1" wider than the stock wheels (for those who dont know, 1" = 25.4 mm.) so since my tires only get 20mm wider, and my wheels get wider by more than that, they should fit, right? i figure, there will be a little sidewall bulge, i dont care.

i know i might have some trouble finding wheels with an offset so that they dont rub, but im sure ill find something that will fit AND look cool.

please gimme some feedback here - ive already had one bad wheel experience (totally my fault though), and me and my wallet cant handle another.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should fit with no problems. The sidewalls may buldge out a little further than when they were on the 9" wheels, but it won't hurt anything.

A friend of mine ran Yokohama AVS's in the same size on some 17x8 rims and they ran looked, and preformed great. Granted, his were on a Tahoe, but that has no bearing as to the way the tires fit the rims. Anyway, they fit very well, and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

tbomb, it will look kinda dorky but it will physically fit.....

jim, why will it look dorky? ive seen trucks with tires that have sidewall bulge - i never really thought it was a big deal.

Should fit ok.

I have the 275/55's on 17x8's and they fir just fine. I don't think the extra 10mm will make that much of a difference.

Originally posted by tbomb

my question is, can i fit 185 60 r17's on 17x8's?

oops...tbomb if you look at your post you put i have 185s will they fit.... i said yes they will but will look dorky....my friends tercel had 185s..... now i realize you meant 285.... they should fit fine with no problems

jim, but will the 285's look dorky, you think, or you think theyll looks ok?

The 285's will...

look fine on the 17x8 wheels.

Back