Things that help fuel economy and performance. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FarmageddonNRO

Reaction score
City, State
Anaconda MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
I haven't been on here in awhile, but wanted to share this with you stock guys. I started using Lucas Oil Upper Cylinder Lubricant about 3 years ago, I add like 4-6 ounces in my fuel every time I fill the tank, and I have to say that this stuff works. After using it for like 6 weeks I started noticing that my Ex was running a little better and a little smoother. Lucas oil products are always a good choice. I regularly try to use at least the mid-range gas, and I know that helps a bit as well. I also changed my fuel pressure regulator, after 140k its a great idea to do this, as well as remembering to change you fuel filter. I clean my engine with Bg 44k fuel system cleaner once a year as well, it is great stuff, cleaning deposits off from bad gas. I run NGK Iridium spark plugs and wires, added on a cold air intake, and clean my MAF sensor once a year. I also upgraded my 02 sensors to the NGK brand. I have done a ton of maintenance on this Ex over the years, upgraded exhaust, I threw on a Magnaflow Muffler and Flowmaster Cat. I threw some slotted rotors on the front, had my driveshaft balanced, swapped out the U-Joints to the Spicer brand, and added converted my auto hubs to Superwinch manual hubs, which are very durable, there is a set that fit 1st gen explorers that may not be easily found online. As far as oil changes, I use K&N oil filters, they are super nice because they have a nut welded onto the bottom so changing your oil just became easier. One thing that is up in the air is changing tranny fluid, but I did it and it did help ease the shifting after. Maintaining a healthy Ex is not that hard, and in the long run, it will save you money, especially if you put a lot of miles on. I have almost 300k on my Ex right now, and I would like to think it has a lot to do with the things I detailed above. Feel free to share things that have helped you out in the fuel economy and performance department. I will update this thread if I can think of other things that have helped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just want to point out, the timing is not self adjusting on these. It's more or less a set advance. They are so basic, there is not even a knock sensor. I do a lot of short trips, and low rpm crawling, which builds up carbon in the engine. For this reason, mine pings with 87 octane, so I run 89 most of the time or 91 towing. You will not see any fuel mileage increase. A light and steady foot will increase fuel mileage more than anything.

Eh? The timing is constantly adjusting.

Based on the crank sensor, it is constantly adjusting timing. It will not, however, increase advance because you are using a higher octane gasoline.

I found the 2 best things are to make sure your maintenance is up to date & slow down. It's just not built for fuel economy.

You haven't seen Al Franklin's "My Quest For 30" thread, have you?

I have...I'm not willing to do all that.... easier to drive my car that gets 31

Lighter tires with less rolling resistance.

Please post Al Franklin's thread - the link that is because its not coming up on a half hour worth of searching!

FarmageddonNRO I have a question on the exhaust, how loud is it on the highway, where highway is defines as 55-85 mph? Is there a bad drone? What diameter, 2.5" single pipe? What is in the muffler?

The only thing wrong with the 'My Quest For 30' thread is that he had a 1999 explorer. So a different body to a degree, different engine (OHV vs OHC), different engine management (OBD1 vs OBD2) so not quite Apples to Oranges but at least Golden Delicious to Granny Smith.

The only thing wrong with the 'My Quest For 30' thread is that he had a 1999 explorer. So a different body to a degree, different engine (OHV vs OHC), different engine management (OBD1 vs OBD2) so not quite Apples to Oranges but at least Golden Delicious to Granny Smith.

For us, it should be, "My Quest for 20".

If i'm just doing highway driving and the fuel is correct for the time of year/conditions I can get 20 to 21 mpg. Mine is a 1994 (most advanced electrics), Sport (lightest body), 2 Wheel Drive (lightest drive train), Manual (least power loss), with standard size tires and I drive like an old man. It can be done... getting 25 would be work. :)

Our '92 XLT and '94 Limited each are capable of 20 MPG highway, and have done so recently. Both have over 225k miles. City/highway mix is always around 17-18 MPG, a bit lower in the winter than the summer, probably partly due to the 'winter blend' fuel we get. I use regular from a name brand station and do the normal maintenance myself.
I still believe the GEN1's are a great all-around vehicle. I cringe whenever I hear the issues my friends and co-workers have with their newer vehicles. (If I had a vehicle that I had to take to the dealer to have a 'oil change required' light reset I'd leave it there and never go back...)

Resetting the light is beyond easy, and requires no trip to the dealer.

I'm curious what 'Geddon gets in his' 94...??
I'm looking at my stock exhaust in my '93 and wondering what those cats look like inside. Also, while I'm an ecological guy, I'm wondering if I get some sort of reprieve next year (at 25 years old...!!); perhaps such that I could do a mod underneath that might make it flow better?
Still have the stock mufflers though...

The highest I've gotten in my 4x4 automatic 1993 explorer was 24mpg during a trip to the Black Hills in the fall time. It typically gets 21-22 mpg highway. And It has LARGER tires. They are 31x10.5x15. this creates a taller gear ratio which is good for the highway which may have helped achieve these above average numbers. Other than that it's stock to my knowledge.

Keep in mind this is a 4 door 4wd automatic... With the smaller 2 door 2wd manual 25+ mpg would be very realistic. Never 30 though haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mbrooks420, The dealer reset issue was what two of my co-workers mentioned regarding their fairly new trucks. One is a diesel, I don't know what the other one is. Perhaps it's a warranty issue and they didn't choose to mention it as such.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to clarify.

Back