Things to look for when picking up Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Things to look for when picking up Explorer

KanewtZ

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer LTD
Hey,

Going this weekend to pick up a 2013 LTD...what should I look for? Things other people perhaps missed when picking theirs up that would be a deal breaker?

Anything at all is appreciated...I plan to take it for a test drive and check for scratches....but what else?

Cheers!
Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took mine home and then realized I was missing the cargo net and the roof rack crossbars. Went back to the dealer the same day and they gave me the net and the crossbars, had to schedule and appointment to have them installed because it was late and the shop was closed.

Hey,

Going this weekend to pick up a 2013 LTD...what should I look for? Things other people perhaps missed when picking theirs up that would be a deal breaker?

Anything at all is appreciated...I plan to take it for a test drive and check for scratches....but what else?

Cheers!
Matt
Hey Matt. I seems I posted this link a few days ago in response to a similar question. I just did a SEARCH on 'Check List' and found this.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331524&highlight=check+list

There may be more but I didn't go any further. It was on page 7 of 91 in the search results.

Peter

My rule of thumb, pick it up on a sunny day, but inspect the car in the shade, makes it easier to see flaws in the finish.

Next, take it for a test drive and push every button you can reach to make sure they do what they are supposed to do. These include all climate, stereo, power seat, power pedals, power steering wheel, power windows, power mirrors, BLIS alert lights, sunroof, sunroof blind, blinkers, headlights, flashers, wipers, cruise control, lane assist, and whatever else you can find.

Next, after the test drive, push every button on the car that you couldn't reach, such as power fold seats, power liftgate. Be sure to test the backup camera and sensors.

Also be sure that any extra accessories you ordered are on/in the car. That just about covers it for my list.

Good luck, and don't forget to bring your camera :)

Hey,

Cheers!
Matt

I would focus mostly on exterior and interior finishes (the things that a dealer could say happened after delivery). Things like dents, scratches, loose carpet or upholstery. Everything else is covered under warranty.

Drive the car for a month and keep a notepad in the car to write down any possible issues. After about a month, book an appointment and have them all looked at at the same time.

Enjoy the new ride.

Martin V

Thanks guys.

I have an extensive list of things to look at.

Bringing down my father (as I need a ride there so I can drive the vehicle home).

The vehicle was built April 20th...according to ETIS. I had some worries about a car that is roughly 2.5 months old sitting on the lot still. Hence, my reasoning for asking the questions.

I made sure in the deal I have the option to inspect before taking delivery.

Cheers!
Matt

Post some pictures when you can!!

From my experience, make sure the stinger is installed on top of the vehicle for the radio. The radio will work if you are in a metropolitan area with good signal strength, but will fade in and out. Turns out the stinger is in the glove box and supposed to be installed during prep.

...Going this weekend to pick up a 2013 LTD...what should I look for?...
Have a great time picking up your new ride, Matt! Be sure to ask your sales representative about any of the features you’re not 100% familiar with. Better yet, why not brush up on the Owner Guide before this weekend? Download an extra free copy here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Make sure to post pictures! :D

I took mine home and then realized I was missing the cargo net and the roof rack crossbars. Went back to the dealer the same day and they gave me the net and the crossbars...
Hey Matt. I seems I posted this link a few days ago in response to a similar question. I just did a SEARCH on 'Check List' and found this...
My rule of thumb, pick it up on a sunny day, but inspect the car in the shade, makes it easier to see flaws in the finish...Good luck, and don't forget to bring your camera :)
I would focus mostly on exterior and interior finishes...Enjoy the new ride...
From my experience, make sure the stinger is installed on top of the vehicle for the radio...
Coronel, Peter, VinceL, Martin, & swkooter,

Thanks for taking the time to post your advice, guys! You all deserve a badge:

http://www.Social.Ford.com/grab-a-badge/Explorer

Cory

I want the Explorer badge, but it is in that lame white color, and not our ultra cool Sterling Gray! (hehehe) :D

Back