• Register Today It's free!

Think 33's will fit?

jbroski33

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport 33" tires TT
Sorry, I know this has been asked too many times to count (just spent about 8 hours reading old posts), but my girlfriend is wanting to buy me some bigger tires, INTERCO SWAMPER TRXUS MT RADIAL TIRE AND WHEEL PACKAGE from JCwhitney to be exact. I'm going to install my Autozone shackle kit, and I have already turned up the torsion bars (I also bought some longer bolts to turn them up more just in case).
By looking at the pic, does it look like I can fit 33's? Trimming is no problem, I have a Sawzall & am not afraid to cut the metal.
BTW, this is a great site, and I have learned a ton from here already

2w30pio.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with only 2 inches of lift, id say no, unless you do some serious trimming haha. can do a 2-3 inch body lift to fit 33s no problem.

welcome to the forums! with just the torsion twist my tires (32x11.50) rub like crazy. i removed the tupperware at bottom of fender, and still cut and bent the bottom corner of the fender. they rub really bad when you hit a bump, or at full turn, both on the inside fender well and the fender itself . they would probably FIT but your problem would be turning....if your 4x4, most will advise you not to do more than 2" of TT, it puts way too much angle on the cv joints. if you did a 3" Body lift, you would be good to go with 33's check this out for different lifts and sizes Dead Link Removed

an easy way to get rid of the rear end sag is get the leaf packs from a 4-door, they bolt right up. they sport models use a single mono-leaf. and then you could put in add-a-leafs

since i don't own a second gen, you should probably ignore everything im about to say :b

anyway, i suspect 33's would fit, they may rub a little now and then. if you go 33x12.5's and you use offset rims, expect more rubbing when you turn.

with the help of a sawzall, i was able to stuff 37's on mine.. granted it's a first gen, also it has about 6 inches of lift. so if you truely aren't afraid to saw... anything is possible. (pic below)

one thing i will say though, big tires are over rated.. a given truck with stock tires and a rear locker will do far better then its lifted counterpart with bigger tires. also bigger tires will put more stress on your axle parts (such as your IFS front end). 31's might be a good compromise and you wouldn't have to cut your fenders up. then save up for a locker
257712341_photobucket_25414_.jpg

with only 2 inches of lift, id say no, unless you do some serious trimming haha. can do a 2-3 inch body lift to fit 33s no problem.

"Serious trimming", sounds maybe a little more than I expected haha I would really like to do a body lift, but I live in an apartment and don't really have anywhere to work on it. I'd have to take it to my friends shop 6 hours away

welcome to the forums! with just the torsion twist my tires (32x11.50) rub like crazy. i removed the tupperware at bottom of fender, and still cut and bent the bottom corner of the fender. they rub really bad when you hit a bump, or at full turn, both on the inside fender well and the fender itself . they would probably FIT but your problem would be turning....if your 4x4, most will advise you not to do more than 2" of TT, it puts way too much angle on the cv joints. if you did a 3" Body lift, you would be good to go with 33's check this out for different lifts and sizes Dead Link Removed

an easy way to get rid of the rear end sag is get the leaf packs from a 4-door, they bolt right up. they sport models use a single mono-leaf. and then you could put in add-a-leafs

Luckily I'm only 2wd, so don't have to worry about the CV joints, but turning radius could be a problem.
I actually read that earlier, and read all 38 pages of the "Lifts and Max tire sizes" haha That's when I really got confused. Some people could only fit 31's with a TT & shackle lift, others fit 33's with that same setup, and one person just stock with no lift, fit 33's

since i don't own a second gen, you should probably ignore everything im about to say :b

anyway, i suspect 33's would fit, they may rub a little now and then. if you go 33x12.5's and you use offset rims, expect more rubbing when you turn.

with the help of a sawzall, i was able to stuff 37's on mine.. granted it's a first gen, also it has about 6 inches of lift. so if you truely aren't afraid to saw... anything is possible. (pic below)

one thing i will say though, big tires are over rated.. a given truck with stock tires and a rear locker will do far better then its lifted counterpart with bigger tires. also bigger tires will put more stress on your axle parts (such as your IFS front end). 31's might be a good compromise and you wouldn't have to cut your fenders up. then save up for a locker
257712341_photobucket_25414_.jpg

That is one wicked truck :thumbsup: I'm really digging the exoskeleton on it.
I was actually going to get some 33x10.5's, since I read on here those would fit easier. Wheels were 4.75 offset, I believe
I'm really not too worried about cutting the sheetmetal. I'm slowly turning it into a prerunner, so I will be putting fiberglass fenders on here, and scrapping the old fenders anyway. I just don't want to have to cut anything structural

33x10.50's would fit better. alot depends on the torsion bars, some are stiffer than others.. if your 2wd you could get lift spindles for the front. i made custom shackles longer than the war153s. you could do that, then add-a-leafs and it should be pretty even... just some ideas

Thanks.. ive got a build thread on here for it somewhere.

anyway, 33x10.5's would probably be a good choice. when i was talking offset, i mean back spacing in relation to your stock rim.. in fact, keeping your stock rims would probably be ideal if you are running 10.5" wide tires since theres no need for wider rims. if using offset rims, be sure to weigh the benefits (wider stance, etc) against the pitfalls of offsets (more stress on bearings and steering parts, more scrub radius for steering which = ****ty steering in rough conditions and a lot of steering feedback, etc.). one can usually get by with a little offset, but i try to avoid it as much as possible.

also remember, that some peoples idea of "it fits" means they can drive around the street and it only rubs when they turn full lock... my idea of "it fits" is you can make sharp turns with articulated suspension, jump it, etc, and tires NEVER rub. so thats why you get different reports for what tires fit on the same truck.

one other thing.. sort of a fyi.. offroad tires measured in inches (33" tire, etc) are almost always about 2 inches less diameter than they claim. so 31's = 29's, and 33's = 31's, 40's = 38's and so on.

33x10.50's would fit better. alot depends on the torsion bars, some are stiffer than others.. if your 2wd you could get lift spindles for the front. i made custom shackles longer than the war153s. you could do that, then add-a-leafs and it should be pretty even... just some ideas

Some custom shackles is a good idea. Just 2 pieces of flat stock, I assume? Or did you weld yours together like the War 153's?

Thanks.. ive got a build thread on here for it somewhere.

anyway, 33x10.5's would probably be a good choice. when i was talking offset, i mean back spacing in relation to your stock rim.. in fact, keeping your stock rims would probably be ideal if you are running 10.5" wide tires since theres no need for wider rims. if using offset rims, be sure to weigh the benefits (wider stance, etc) against the pitfalls of offsets (more stress on bearings and steering parts, more scrub radius for steering which = ****ty steering in rough conditions and a lot of steering feedback, etc.). one can usually get by with a little offset, but i try to avoid it as much as possible.

also remember, that some peoples idea of "it fits" means they can drive around the street and it only rubs when they turn full lock... my idea of "it fits" is you can make sharp turns with articulated suspension, jump it, etc, and tires NEVER rub. so thats why you get different reports for what tires fit on the same truck.

one other thing.. sort of a fyi.. offroad tires measured in inches (33" tire, etc) are almost always about 2 inches less diameter than they claim. so 31's = 29's, and 33's = 31's, 40's = 38's and so on.

That's good to know about the tire sizes. Learn something new every day haha :thumbsup: The tires I have on it right now measured about 28.5 inches (and they still have a lot of tread), so 31's definitely should fit with no problems

Some custom shackles is a good idea. Just 2 pieces of flat stock, I assume? Or did you weld yours together like the War 153's?

some people weld a piece in the center, some dont, i just took a piece a flat stock, it was thick...3/8 i think by 2" wide. i believe they are 12" long with 10" centers for the bolt holes. ive put plenty of miles on them with no problems.

some people weld a piece in the center, some dont, i just took a piece a flat stock, it was thick...3/8 i think by 2" wide. i believe they are 12" long with 10" centers for the bolt holes. ive put plenty of miles on them with no problems.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I think I'll have to try that

welding that piece in the center (making an H shaped shackle) makes it a lot stronger in terms of side to side wiggle. i'd definitely do the piece in the middle

welding that piece in the center (making an H shaped shackle) makes it a lot stronger in terms of side to side wiggle. i'd definitely do the piece in the middle

:thumbsup: Thanks for the tip

33x12.50 would be Serious Trimming with No Lift

i had a sport like yours and i fit 33s with just fender trimming up front (was fine without shackles or torsion twist) but since you have a sport i highly suggest adding 4 door leafs to the back. the shackle lift will put the mono leaf flat in no time

oh and also while i myself stuffed 33s at one time, i recomend 31s. (what im currently down to) because your flex with 33s is limited and with 31s gas milage is ok and there is no need to regear. yes 33s look better but 31s are more capable and wear out the truck less

quite un-true.
my Interco TrXus STS 33's are 33.1"
Interco LTB 33's are 32.8"
Interco LTB Radial 33's are 32.8"
Interco TrXus MT 33's are 33.0"
BFG Mud-Terrain 33 are 32.8"

so, try 2/10 of an inch, not 2 inches.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 31s rub a little on my first gen at full lock but it isn't really an issue.
I just don't make full lock turns (which is only an issue when people are impatient for me to do a multi-point turn into parking lot spaces, lol).
I'm gonna ask what I imagine lots of people are thinking....where do I find a girlfriend that's willing to buy me tires & wheels??? :)

Back