Think before bashing POLICE | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Think before bashing POLICE

Campo

Elitus Explorus
Reaction score
City, State
White City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4
I got this in email today and thought it was pretty good, Maybe we should all keep a copy of this on the dash...

Subject: A POLICE OFFICER SPEAKS

Some of you may have seen this before, but I think it
is well worth reading again. By the way, for you who
remember him, I got this from Tom Brennan (ex-DPD
cop).

(The author of this article was Trooper Mitchell Brown
of the Virginia State Police. More about him at the
end of the article.)

Well, Mr. Citizen, it seems you've figured me out. I
fit neatly into the category where you've placed me.
I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized,
classified, grouped, and always typical.

Unfortunately, the reverse is true. I can never
figure you out. From birth, you teach your children
that I'm the bogeyman, then you're shocked when they
identify with my traditional enemy ... the criminal!
You accuse me of coddling criminals ... until I catch
our kids doing wrong. You may take an hour for lunch
and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out
as a loafer for having one cup. You pride yourself on
your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my meals
with your troubles. You raise Cain with the guy who
cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing
the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all
the traffic laws ... but you've never gotten a single
ticket you deserve. You shout "foul" if you observe me
driving fast to a call, but raise the roof if I take
more than ten seconds to respond to your complaint.

You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but
call it police brutality if I strike back. You
wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to
pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an
appendix, yet you are always willing to give me
pointers on the law. You talk to me in a manner that
would get you a bloody nose from anyone else, but
expect me to take it without batting an eye.

You yell that something's got to be done to fight
crime, but you can't be bothered to get involved. You
have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I
change a flat for your wife, deliver your child in the
back of the patrol car, or perhaps save your son's
life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many hours
overtime looking for your lost daughter.

So, Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox
and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling
me every name in the book, but never stop to think
that your property, family, or maybe even your life
depends on me or one of my buddies

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me ... the cop!

The author of this article was Trooper Mitchell Brown
of the Virginia State Police. He was killed in the
line of duty two months after writing the article.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
GO POLICE!!!! WOOOOWOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Black Magic

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Street
Bless all the Police out there that battle every day in and out! I have never bashed a cop and am alway courtious to them when getting my speeding tickets! LOL, seriously I am.

I would like to say thanks for eveything you do!

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
For the record: there was never a Trooper Mitchell Brown employed by the Va. State Police, so, the author is completely unknown.

I do agree with most of the meaning concerning most police officers. Most of them (the good ones) don't get near the respect they deserve!

Robb

stretch

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Waskom, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8 AWD
That really puts things in perspective, (not that I'm a cop basher-so please don't think that). I have the utmost respect for the police and what they do. Now they just need to be paid better for putting their lives on the line for the rest of us, because without them, chaos would ensue.

mmpc

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Escape: No Boundaries
Originally posted by Campo
So, Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox
and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling
me every name in the book, but never stop to think
that your property, family, or maybe even your life
depends on me or one of my buddies

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me ... the cop!
WOW - BRAVO! A positive post about cops - that has to be a first! I don't care who wrote it, the sentiments are right on target. Perhaps some people will read and actually think about some of those points before they post ANOTHER bitch session about cops...

For the record: I'm not a cop, nor are any of my family members in law enforcement. I do, however, work with many law enforcement agencies producing promotional/training videos. Having done that for several years, there's no question I've met some idiots on the force who I wouldn't want to be pulled over by. Yet the vast majority of law enforcement people I've worked with are standup folks who are fun to be around and take their job - and the responsibility that comes with it - very seriously. Just so everyone knows where I'm coming from.

Thanks for posting that, Campo. :)

Slick

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport 2wd
Well having read that, it does put some new light on the subject. I'll say I have respect for a lot of the police officers, but no matter what their job or whatever some of them are still a-holes about things because they think they are so tough and control everyone, a lot on power trips. But overall obviously they help us

FourXFred

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
WOW - BRAVO! A positive post about cops - that has to be a first!

AMEN! im a criminal justice major in college reight now, and i only want to be a cop because i enjoy helping people. but i read some of these threads on this board about how awful cops are, and how much corruption is everywhere and how it seems that no-one likes this countries "public servants" because they are all A**Holes and it is really discouraging. nice to see a thread that points out the better attributes of the job. Thank you CAMPO very much!

99exEB1

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
Great post CAMPO, very very true. Cops are people too, and deserve the same ammout of respect you should show to everyone you come into contact with. If they pull you over for speeding dont bitch, its your fault for breaking the law.

Cartman

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
I do bitch about cops and I guess my problem isn't so much with the officers out there but with what they are required to do, which to a large extent is line the coffers.
How much good could cops do if they weren't spending so much time going after moderate speeders or other minor thing (neon's, parts without the DOT sticker), last week I was driving on the 401 (a very major highway) and there were at least 10 cop cars out pulling people over for 30 km/h over the limit, this is not an unsafe speed but the cops were making a lot of money.

hrbib21

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
A good article. BUT, I have never had a cop "help" me in any way whatsoever. The few times I have needed help they didn't. So, I can only go on my experience and it has never been very good, except for the 2 cops in my family who are very good people.

Unless you consider "help" being to remind me not to speed by giving me a ticket (which I have no problem with, btw; I have the do the crime do the time mentality).

Slick

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport 2wd
Yes its nice to know that i'll be getting a ticket for going 10 mph over on an empty freeway, but some guys stealing $1500 in stereo equipment get away no problem

Campo

Elitus Explorus
Reaction score
City, State
White City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4
Originally posted by Slick
Yes its nice to know that i'll be getting a ticket for going 10 mph over on an empty freeway, but some guys stealing $1500 in stereo equipment get away no problem

the Police can't be everywhere all the time, plus there is a shortage of officers.

Ever thought about becoming one?

FourXFred

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
the Police can't be everywhere all the time, plus there is a shortage of officers.

Ever thought about becoming one?

EXACTLY! people dont like police officers because they can arrest you for committing a crime, and that scares them. then when they dont arrest someone for committing a crime, the police are the bad guys. No matter what, our public servants are the bad guys, in every situation.

i know how it feels. i had a 2000 yamaha banshee stolen from me in august, and so far it has not been found. is that the police officers fault? hell no. but there the easiest people to point the finger at because they are supposed to be omnipresent. People get mad at cops for patroling and pulling over speeders and invading there privacy, then they get mad because the police arent allways sitting in front of their house waiting for someone to break in, so that the police can save the day. Dont like the way your local police station is handling certain things? Either write a letter to the police cheif or your selectman, or become a police officer like i am. Sitting and bitching about your problems, and pointing your finger at the cops because they diddnt get to your house or car in 30 seconds and catch the criminal red handed wont solve anything, and only creates more of a "us v.s them" mentality between the police and the citizens.

TPLYNCH

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brewster, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLS
I'm not sure if it has made national news, but 2 undercover NYPD detectives were basically executed last night while on a Buy-n-Bust operation to get TEC-9's off the street. Picked up 2 suspects who were supposed to bring them to the seller. Trailing backup officers were unable to maintain contact, and found the 2 dead officers on a back street. They had been shot in the head and dumped from their car, which the assailants drove off in. Neither had opportunity to draw their weapons. Both men were in their early thirties and leave behind 5 children.

I see no reason to "bash" policemen, when all too often, dying is the "reward" they receive for trying to make this (and your) city safer. There are risks in the job, and I wholeheartedly support those who do it, especially since I don't think I'd have the balls to do it myself. There will always be bad apples out there, no matter whether it's police, fire or blue collar workers. For every 1 who's bad, there are 100's that are honarable, and more often than not, it's the honorable ones who make the ultimate sacrifice.

EDIT - Link to news coverage - http://www.msnbc.com/local/wnbc/A1526042.asp

mmpc

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Escape: No Boundaries
[Edited by Rick]

As for speed traps and getting pulled over - do you actually think the majority of cops enjoy doing that? Each time they exit their patrol car their lives are very much at risk. If not from the person in the vehicle they're approaching, there's also traffic whizzing by.

Also, keep in mind that countless crimes have been solved simply by people being pulled over for speeding. Tim McVeigh and Ted Bundy are just two that stick out in my mind. Also, would you really prefer that the roads weren't patrolled at all? Imagine the carnage of drunk drivers, people speeding insanely fast and others that would occur. I, for one, would rather risk a speeding ticket and have the cops out there patrolling.

Finally, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think ANYONE who has a problem with the cops should do one thing before bitching again. Go on a RIDE ALONG. They can be easily setup by most departments and the majority of cops very much enjoy showing a member of the public - especially someone who's still young - all the things their job entails. Who knows, you might actually come to be FRIENDS with a cop! :eek:

94ex

Reaction score
City, State
tarpon springs, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
police

This is a thank-you to the CHP for helping out many times. Didn't always drive the best of vehicles years ago with USCG; but had proper direction!

94ex

Reaction score
City, State
tarpon springs, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt
NYPD lost with rich man mayor Bloomberg.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Several posts have been deleted to maintain peace. I guess that makes me the board cop...

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
Thanks Rick.

Sheesh... :rolleyes: