thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid

Mud Bug 94 goin solid?

I got a dana 60 flat top,high pinion,with 4.10s and a sterling 10.25 with 4.10s both complete with stock tires and wheels too. I paid zip for the pair and figures id throw um in and beat the snot out of my high mileged explorer till the motor swap comes. i came up with a design for the leaf spring hangers i just want an opinion on them thanks for lookin. - Joe

the front hanger....
frontspringhanger.jpg

the rear shackle hanger/crossmember.....
frontshacklehanger.jpg

edit, the spring width is 39.25" not 30.25"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i'm talking about the travel part of the suspension, from the master cylinder to framerail, down the spring with flex line, a tee at the spring perch, and then a piece of flex to each wheel. just long enough to allow full turn....it's what i'm gonna do.

bad idea. If you break a leaf it would possibly (most likely) take out your brakes. Just get a long one and run it down to the diff or something, then run hard lines out from there and a short flex line from the inner c to the caliper.

what about my original plan of lovering the mount?

if you break a leaf? seems to me if a leaf spring breaks, you aren't going anywhere anyway......

we replaced my broken leaf on the trail with hand tools, a winch and a highlift.

Only took 3 hours, which isnt bad for something of that nature.

0903071119_Small_.jpg

0903071120_Small_.jpg

We replaced it about 2 feet foreward of where it sits in that picture, right in the middle of the hard section of a black trail.

wow...3 hours aint bad tho...what leaves you runnin?

i still think if you did it the way i'm talking about, all you would have broken on the brake line is the zip ties holding it to the leaf.

pics....
DSCN0852.jpg

the bumper is like 35 inches off the ground
DSCN0853.jpg

not as wide as i thought it was gunna be in the rear
DSCN0854.jpg

DSCN0857.jpg

DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0856.jpg

shes about a foot too tall to fit out..
DSCN0859.jpg

DSCN0860.jpg

DSCN0861.jpg

bump any comments?

Well to make the rear wider you can off set the rims.

I like it.

Well to make the rear wider you can off set the rims.

I like it.

im thinkin of gettin those wheels iz has so i can run 15s...itll be wider then too.....but im lookin for input on the tire size...they are 36 in the pic that measure up to a 35 ish so im thinkin 36 or 37....? help always appreciated

deflate the tires and ease it out of the garage for it to clear, or remove the wheel and put it on dollies and roll it out. thats what i plat to do if my truck won't make it out of the garage.

i have some 205/55/16 in tha stock wheels the tire is like an inch tall and it might work if not, im gunna ghetto flex it in the garage and when the wheels are tucked, im gunna chain the axle to the frame...holding the suspension down...

I deflate the tires to get it in and out of the garage. My explorer typically has about 2 or 3 PSI if its in the garage. But be careful, aside from popping a bead (or two), if you have any type of locker in the axles, the locker will cause the vehicle to crawl sideways ("crabwalk") if the front tires are turned. I've had my Explorer almost stuck in the garage cauz it kept crawling sideways and eventually I had to manualy slide the vehicle sideways with two jacks.

3PSI:
creepy_crawlers.jpg

ill only have to do this once so im gunna try the chain idea....oh.btw...in the pics the tires had 5psi in them...and in the bottom middle of the 5th pic you can see my (in and out tires...

well, its been a while and its time to update....i got shocks for the swap, more metal...still no springs and the trans blew....but i got a 1990 econoline van so i might be able to do something to the old explorer....

good luck man, keep us up to date!

Back