thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thinkin bout thrownin in the towel and goin solid

Mud Bug 94 goin solid?

I got a dana 60 flat top,high pinion,with 4.10s and a sterling 10.25 with 4.10s both complete with stock tires and wheels too. I paid zip for the pair and figures id throw um in and beat the snot out of my high mileged explorer till the motor swap comes. i came up with a design for the leaf spring hangers i just want an opinion on them thanks for lookin. - Joe

the front hanger....
frontspringhanger.jpg

the rear shackle hanger/crossmember.....
frontshacklehanger.jpg

edit, the spring width is 39.25" not 30.25"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well im bringin it home an im gunna start pullin the motor...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

got a lot of work done in the last 2 weeks. i got the motor, trans, transfercase, axles, radiator, and exhaust out.... new rear axle in and done minus shock Id like to flex it out b4 i mount them...front axle is in position (still waiting on springs to mount it).....getting my f-350 master cylinder tommorow... i got some pics...

the lift and re-routed rear rubber line...
DSCN0969.jpg

stock line moved to tire holder..this provided an extra 9 inches of slack in the line...it was 5 short where it was....(stock)
DSCN0970.jpg

A good overall of the truck in my garage
DSCN0972.jpg

The steering from the f-350 bolts right up!!!
DSCN0973.jpg

another steering / clearance pic
DSCN0974.jpg

more steering/clearance...
DSCN0975.jpg

Good lord!!
DSCN0978.jpg

verry pleased with overall height....hanger to ground...
DSCN0979.jpg

getting there.....
DSCN0980.jpg

bump i need to know the ignition wiring

You mean firing sequence?

no i need the wiring diagram for the ignition key switch...

I dont know for sure but it seems that the draglink is not supposed to be bent.

Yea...The steering looks a little scary. Build your own steering and it will really clean it up.

12V yellow Positive (+) ignition harness
Starter red/lt. blue Positive (+) ignition harness
Ignition red/lt. green Positive (+) ignition harness
Accessory gray/yellow Positive (+) ignition harness

well i got a motor and its very wide but its in and i just needed to figure out the hot i need to run to the coil to make this monster run.
Ignition red/lt. green Positive (+) ignition harness ....... so if i run this to the coil thats basiclly the one wire to run the motor and the only one i need to cut and splice....

the steering is stock and fits just right i dont understand what is wrong with it...its a factory bend in the solid 1-1/4 steel drag link....

getting back to the motor i got a v8 and any one know how to wire a 78 400M???

edit: BTW where is the wiring that comes out of the key ignition located under the hood?

well the motor is no good but i did have it in their ill put up pics later i also got my front crossmember/shackle hanger done but i ran out of welding rod so its only tacked in their...oh and BTW, does any one know where the neutreal safty switch is and how to bypass it?

i dont think that bend is from the factory. It may be the way you received the draglink, but that doesnt make it right.

I dont know if you have ever bent any kind of steel before, but you should realize that once steel starts bending it loses its strength properties because it distorts the crystalline structure. I'm half a country away, so if you want to run that thing. you won't hurt me.

1995 f-350 draglink picture attached.

on another note..... everything else is looking good. keep it up. you've got ALOT more progress than i do.

Attachments

• ksmds1068003.jpg
    ksmds1068003.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 268

its off an 1988 im gunna try and get more pictures of the front end work as of latley.....later tonight .......i also have a motor and trans and such but i dont want anyone to know....because of hatered....

its off an 1988 im gunna try and get more pictures of the front end work as of latley.....later tonight .......i also have a motor and trans and such but i dont want anyone to know....because of hatered....

Chevy 5.7? Who cares go for it. chevy makes some of the best engines anyways.

you is right ma man its a chev tree fitty

get your sas done..then swap the motor or you will never be done.

i have a dead line..(my old man says aug) so while im waiting for the motor im doing the axles also....the rear is done except for shocks and hard lines...the wiring for the motor is done so when i get it home i can drop it in and fire it up...now all i have left is to make rear hangers for the front and get the right springs.... then its all about the details...its hard to explain but in the last week ive made more progress on this thing then i have in the last 2 months....last night i ghetto welded the front axle in to get it out of the garage to turn the truck around because the tow truck backed it into the drive way and the work bench and tool box are in the back....so it was nice while i was doing the rear but now its business in da front.....and blah blah if i can pics tonight

some pics of the 400 modified
DSCN0982.jpg

DSCN0985.jpg

the crossmember to frame design not fully welded tho
DSCN0993.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

DSCN1004.jpg

DSCN1008.jpg

now the safari door im makin for kicks
DSCN0994.jpg

DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1006.jpg

ok so i gave up on the bowtie idea and i got a nother ford 400m....ive been workin on this a while and im not really sure its gunna fit does any one know of what type of vehicle would have a steering box outside the frame rail or have any tips as to how i can move the box and shaft?

Back