• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about an SAS few ?'s.

STEVE-O

Reaction score
City, State
Greensburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 F150
So, I've been thinking about doing an SAS for a while now, and just have some general questions for some people in the "know". Also, I have pretty much any possible tool I need to do this readily available to me, along with many that I wouldnt need. Anyway, first of all, are there any dana 44s out there that are better/easier to do this with? I think I've heard about the wagoneer axle being good, but I dont know. Also, what are my options for bolt patterns? I have steel rock crawlers that I would like to keep, but I dont know if thats possible or not?

Anyone have any suggestions? I plan on building myself a front bumper/skid plate protection at the same time too. Thanks for any help I can get. :thumbsup:

Edit: I will update this as I think of more questions....heres another one: What about steering? What are the different/easier/streetable setups that I can do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Steve, I suggest a search then come back and ask those.
You need to read peoples conversion threads, all those questions are answered 10 fold with pictures, reasoning, options, aftermarket and stock parts, axle types, widths, brakes hubs, calipers you name it

410Fortune said:
Steve, I suggest a search then come back and ask those.
You need to read peoples conversion threads, all those questions are answered 10 fold with pictures, reasoning, options, aftermarket and stock parts, axle types, widths, brakes hubs, calipers you name it

Is it not different on a newer ranger like mine? Or since Im taking out my suspension it wont matter?

99 Ranger 4x4 is almost identical to the Explorer IFS
Do you have torsion bars?
If yes then SAME SAME for Gen II explorer's, 95-01

410Fortune said:
99 Ranger 4x4 is almost identical to the Explorer IFS
Do you have torsion bars?
If yes then SAME SAME for Gen II explorer's, 95-01

Bah! your obviously right. I knew that too! Sometimes my ignorance amazes even myself. Yea I have the stupid torsion bars so that answers those questions. Anyones thread in particular that I should look at? :banghead:

034x4. He has a ranger he did a SAS too.

off road project forum is full of SAS's

you need to decide ALOT before you start.
links, leafs, coils, radius arms, coil overs, hi steer, low steer, steering, etc the basics, so many options every SAS is different

You'll see

410Fortune said:
off road project forum is full of SAS's

you need to decide ALOT before you start.
links, leafs, coils, radius arms, coil overs, hi steer, low steer, steering, etc the basics, so many options every SAS is different

You'll see

Thanks, I've got alot to do between now and 6 weeks from now. Guess Ill start reading. :eek:

Maybe in the upcoming weeks if I decide to do it, Ill make this my SAS thread, but until then, thanks for making me open my eyes. :cool:

Ok, anyone have a cheap d-44 for sale? This is starting to look like more and more of a possibility. Im not real sure what Im gonna do for the rear lift yet though, wish I could just do a SOA for cheapness. Any ideas? I could 4 link it I guess, but thats a good bit of work for me to do in a short amount of time. :rolleyes:

You already have SOA.

Worry about the front first.

Doing the rear is easy so plan for it after you finish the front - even a 4-link setup is cake in the rear -- just remove the gas tank and everything is cake.

63" chevys and a chevy lowering shackle gets you 5" of lift. I did that for under $100. toss an Add a leaf in the pack and it could probably be closer to seven. Gives alot of flex as well.

[QUOTE='97 V8]You already have SOA.[/QUOTE]
I know.

For the front, Im thinking of doing coils for now, maybe coilovers when I get some money. Im thinking a wagoneer front is going to be my best bet, I think there are a few around my house locally, so that will help. Is there a list of powersteering systems that will work? Im gonna have the same issue with a somewhat severe steering shaft angle do to the body lift as 034x4.

Anyone think I can build this whole thing in 6 weeks? :eek:

I have 6 weeks of working on it for 8 hours a day monday-friday starting in about a month at school. Thanks for everyone being patient so far, Ive been reading quite alot since Ive starting thinking about doing this. The amount of info here is quite overwhelming!

6 weeks of 8 hr days? Man you can easily do a coiled front in that much amount of time. And a 4-linked rear would only add on maybe a week at most! Its the front thats the most difficult.

as for me, I use the toyota IFS steering box - got it from a junk yard for ~$25 :confused: - no leaks :D

Cool thanks for the ideas guys! Ill continue my search/ list of stuff I need. I have about 4 weeks to get all of this together before the work will actually start. Guess we will see. :D

With the reading of threads over and over, your confidence will go up. Best of luck to ya.

Another question for you guys, what can I do to the waggy D-44 to keep my bolt pattern so that I dont have to buy new wheels? Im fairly certain I saw that someone makes axles to convert it to 5x4.5 but I dont remember where at. If you do that conversion, what do you do about the disc brakes? There has to be a easy way to do this, but I cant seem to find it. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go buy a custom axle. easiest way to make it 5 on 4.5. Just have to suck it up and buy new wheels. The question is do you go 5 on 5.5 or 6 on 5.5? One you convert the front and the rear gets spacers or the waggy axle stays the same and you buy new rear shafts with 6 on 5.5.

Back